*Magnify*
    September     ►
SMTWTFS
1
2
3
4
5
6
7
8
9
10
11
12
13
14
15
16
17
18
19
20
21
22
23
24
25
26
27
28
29
30
Archive RSS
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://writing.com/main/books/entry_id/561064-Aging-300-words
Rated: 18+ · Book · Writing · #1373619
My journal + project for my patients. Variety of items- real life, to funny happenings.
#561064 added March 11, 2009 at 1:36pm
Restrictions: None
Aging ,300 words
Did you ever stop and think what it feels like to grow old?  Do you look forward to it, or dread it?

I have always enjoyed being around the elderly.  When I was a young girl other then my brothers and one other girl in our neighborhood, were elderly.  We had a lovely 4 family home in Elizabeth NJ.  Our landlady was an elderly Jewish woman, Mrs. Kahn.  She had a gardener come and tend to the roses in our hugh backyard. 

Above us, on the opposite side of our home was and elderly couple the Smiths.  Mr Smith was senile and faded over about a year, then I was 8 and I can remember each week I would spend one night with Mrs. Smith watching either Laurence Welk, or some type of entertainment show.  No doubt she always made me a Shirley Temple and gave me stale crackers or cookies.  I loved the drink, but would be polite and love the crackers too.

My mother always instilled in us to do good for those around us, and helping the elderly is were I think I started my love for them.  I can remember sitting next to Mrs. Smith and watching her fall asleep watching the show.  I remember studying her face.  It was worn and wrinkled with a few stray hairs I found funny and at the same time endearing. 

As a nurse I still enjoy each of my older patients and hearing about their lives.  Their features, pictuing them as they must have been when young.  Hearing some struggles we would never go through.  Their life experience is always interesting to hear.  I for one do not dread getting old.  I look forward to one day being a grandparent and I will never be one of those women with the lip stick and eye make up that makes them look like a psych patient.

Cheers to growing old gracefully.

© Copyright 2009 NurseWriter (UN: lorriern at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
NurseWriter has granted Writing.Com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://writing.com/main/books/entry_id/561064-Aging-300-words