*Magnify*
    September     ►
SMTWTFS
1
2
3
4
5
6
7
8
9
10
11
12
13
14
15
16
17
18
19
20
21
22
23
24
25
26
27
28
29
30
Archive RSS
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://writing.com/main/books/entry_id/557381-RIP-Bhutto-Free-like-a-monkey-poem-Edward-Thomas-poet
Rated: 13+ · Book · Biographical · #1317094
Enga mellom fjella: where from across the meadow, poems sing from mountains and molehills.
#557381 added December 27, 2007 at 5:42pm
Restrictions: None
RIP Bhutto, Free like a monkey (poem), Edward Thomas (poet)
Benazir Bhutto (1953-2007) has been assasinated. This could be an historical moment. The Pakistanis are armed to the gills and not overly happy. It could easily have regional and international repercussions.

How?

Anyone remember 1968? In the U.S.A., the assasinations of Martin Luther King in April and Robert Kennedy in June led to a summer of cities in flame. It lead to Nixon (he-who-didn't-have-a-snowball's-chance-in ...) being elected. It boiled over in the campus demonstrations (young men fled to Canada) and was a dangerous time for the World. Yes, the World held its breath. It is never easy to have a world power that is armed to the gills in turmoil.

And Pakistan of 2007-2008 is a world power.

As for Benazir Bhutto ... she was a highly educated individual who came from a pwerful political family and was the once-and-not-to-be-the-future ruler of Pakistan.

Wikipedia biographical link: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Benazir_Bhutto

It is for those who knew her personally to mourn her personally.

ME:

I've been having problems sleeping, but last night was okay and I managed to get up reasonably early.

Watched the end of "Brokeback Mountain". Parts of that movie are heart-wrenching to watch ...

Finished "A Cat Who Dropped a Bombshell".

BLOGVILLE:

See recent entries by lost-but-not-forgotten bloggers: andrew , Stiggles , SHERRI GIBSON . Life goes on beyond illness and family upheaval.

Free like a monkey

Sloughing off my pants;
legs scissor in a leap of joy;
jollies jiggle;
my pendent penis sways.

         that's okay

This is the way they were meant to be:

         free,

like a monkey.

© 2007 Kåre Enga [164.437] 2007-12-26 00:45

Okay ... I look at it this way ... this blog is rated 18+ and if I mentioned breasts or man-boobs, it would be okay. So this is okay too. It was 12:45 a.m. and the phrase "free like a monkey" came to mind (well ... to what passes as my mind). The "confessional" poets would be proud of me!

(Philip) EDWARD THOMAS:

Been reading the poetry of Edward Thomas (England, 1878-1917). His poem "Lob" is utterly amazing. It shows how one can love a place. It is quintenssentially rural English. It also shows the influence of Gerard Manley Hopkins, IMHO.

If you are from England or write in English you should read "Lob". This link includes the poem, some critique and a commentor has even included "Adlestrop" which also smacked me when I read it.

http://www.poetsgraves.co.uk/forum/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=5231

Rural England may be as alien to present day Mancurians, Liverpoodlians and Londoners as the High Plains is to folks from Kansas City or Denver. However, some of the blog entries of Mavis Moog will take you down lanes and past old stone buildings that exist in Kinders Trepass and other out-of-the-way-places that breathe beyond the dirt and crime of cities.

Also on Thomas:

Wikipedia on Thomas: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Edward_Thomas_%28poet%29

Great info on Thomas and poetry: http://www.warpoets.org/conflicts/greatwar/thomas/

Kansas: 27º, soft grey and soon to be flaky.
1484

© Copyright 2007 Kåre Enga in Montana (UN: enga at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Kåre Enga in Montana has granted Writing.Com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://writing.com/main/books/entry_id/557381-RIP-Bhutto-Free-like-a-monkey-poem-Edward-Thomas-poet