*Magnify*
    September     ►
SMTWTFS
1
2
3
5
7
8
9
10
11
12
14
18
19
20
21
22
23
24
25
26
27
28
29
30
Archive RSS
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://writing.com/main/books/entry_id/509638-In-the-Season-of-Mountains-weeping
Rated: 13+ · Book · Personal · #982524
Online journal capturing the moment and the memory of moments. A meadow meditation.
#509638 added May 19, 2007 at 7:37pm
Restrictions: None
In the Season of Mountains-weeping
** Image ID #1148621 Unavailable **

I wrote the beginning of a short story about a missing child, thinking about the McCanns and all that. Then I did a poll asking how it should play out. The story and poll:

In the Season of Mountains-weeping

         Year 345, the season of Mountains-weeping, 45th day of the waxing moons

My son has been abducted, dear sister. I left him for a year at our cousins as I always do this season. He went camping, not wanting to wait until the moons began to wan, as we always taught him. It's been ten days already and now the villagers have heard and begun to ask. I know they mean well. But until the mountains stop weeping there is nothing we can do. No one can leave until its safe to cross them. 10 days ago, I was happy. Must I wait till next year to know? I only found out by sheer luck or perversity. Perhaps not knowing until he or his bones were found in some stone-eaglets nest would have been best. It is this dread of waiting that hurts, dear sister. Wish you could be here to give me a hug. ... [164.79]

How would you end this story?

A. Happily-ever-after? That's not an option!
B. The vampire vultures have found him. He will return to devour his family.
C. His family will be cast out and forced to seek the mercy of the mountains.
D. Life is a dream. This is a dream. We'll never know the truth; the story is in the telling of the dream ... he will speak through a dream.
E. The media where the cousins live will hound them to death, refusing to believe such innocent neglect. The child is found, but the family is destroyed.
F. Everyone will tear and rent their clothing until naked and bloody they come across a mirror, see how silly they look, then never speak of it again.
G. The child would've died someday anyways ... I'll write the obit. You get on with your life.
H. A series of novels portraying how this parental neglect scars the next 7 generations.
I. I'd write an epic poem of never-ending loss and regrets.
J. There WILL be a happy ending ... in about three generations ... when he'll be found, an old man telling stories about the kindness of cave-otters.

For those of you who may object, considering all the flurry of news stories about Madeleine McCann and her parents, Kate and Gerry McCann (a la Aruba vs Alabama last year), by seemingly trivializing what is a real life tragedy, please stop, think and pause ...

Is the media coverage real or fictional? And what part of reality will help the McCanns if Madeleine is never found, or found dead?

How would YOU end this fictional story?
 
      B. The vampire vultures have found him. He will return to devour his family.
      C. His family will be cast out and forced to seek the mercy of the mountains.
      D. Life is a dream. This is a dream. We'll never know the truth; the story is in the telling of the dream ...
      E. The media where the cousins live will hound them to death, refusing to believe such innocent neglect. The child is found.
      F. Everyone will tear and rent their clothing until naked and bloody they come across a mirror, see how silly they look ...
      G. The child would've died anyways ... I'll write the obit. You get on with your life.
      H. A series of novels portraying how this parental neglect scars the next 7 generations.
      I. I'd write an epic poem of never-ending loss and regrets.
      J. There WILL be a happy ending ... in about three generations ... when he'll be found, an old man telling stories ...


© Kåre Enga 07-05-19

My life

Read, wrote, whaddya want? I sit with windows open, listen to music from the street below. Duh ... it's a beautiful day outside, but until I finish this entry, I'm bound to this laptop.

I did sleep in nicely until the parade woke me up for good. That was about 11 a.m. *Laugh*

I've been reading A body in the Fjord. Since I'm familiar with the geography and culture of West Norway, I'm intrigued. It moves right along ...

IMAGES

Okay, so I only went out for a half hour ... 20 minutes ... **whatever**

At the wacky parade: amphibious '60s boat car; Ranita in her yellow cellophane wrapped popcorn-mobile; an accordian car moving in and out like a caterpillar; a spa in a car (complete with water and a deck); various musicians-in-a-mobile; dead alien in a clear casket atop a hearse; Kellie with a margarita (well, she was a spectator, but she counts anyways!) .

In response to kiyasama regarding how parents protect children:

I was smothered until life seeped out of me. I'm still digging around wondering where it hid. I was most fearful of family. With no one to trust, guess how that has made my life as an adult? Sheer hell.

I don't blame the parents. Nasty, unwarranted things happen to us all. Will this bring their daughter back? Will it bring anyone's daughter back? I prefer the amber alerts and milk carton approach.

News links regarding Madeleine McCann, and her parents, Kate and Gerry McCann:
Re cultural difference:
http://www.cnn.com/2007/WORLD/europe/05/17/portugal.missing.child.ap/index.html?...
Religious outpouring:
http://www.christianpost.com/article/20070514/27399_Parents_of_Missing_British_C...
Details from Britain press:
http://www.inthenews.co.uk/news/international-affairs/british-child-missing-in-a...$1082227.htm
Too much press?
http://www.tiscali.co.uk/news/newswire.php/news/reuters/2007/05/19/topnews/has-b...

Said hello to relative newbie poeticuprising, who is pregnant with her second girl-child. All you mothers outta go visit and say howdy!

chalaedra posted an entry! I've so thrilled. One of my favorite missing persons has been found! Actually SHE knew where she was all this time. Planting wildflowers and rearranging her life down there in Texas ... Hmmm.
19,875 views 05-19; 125 more to go!

© Copyright 2007 Kåre Enga in Montana (UN: enga at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Kåre Enga in Montana has granted Writing.Com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://writing.com/main/books/entry_id/509638-In-the-Season-of-Mountains-weeping