*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://writing.com/main/books/entry_id/495951-Chapter-2-Sera
Printer Friendly Page Tell A Friend
No ratings.
by Liana
Rated: 13+ · Book · Fantasy · #1233785
5 sisters connected by more than blood. 1st book in my trilogy. Please help by reviewing.
<<< Previous · Entry List · Next >>>
#495951 added March 18, 2007 at 11:33am
Restrictions: None
Chapter 2: Sera
    "Can we rest? We've been walking for five hours," Fiora said, sinking onto a nearby stump. "Why do we have to walk down this mountain?"

  "We have to get to Vane," Liana said, looking down the mountain towards the distant village. "That's a long way to walk…"

  "But you want to see your sisters, right?" Fiora asked with a smile.

  "Yeah," Liana answered. "I didn't know…but all along… I had four sisters."

  "I'm happy for you. Really, I am."

  "You can stay with us, Fiora," Liana said, her eyes sparkling. "You can be part of our family. I know they'll accept you. I just know it."

  "Thank you. That means a lot."

  "You befriended me when I had no one else," Liana said. "We have to stay together." She grinned. "Besides, we look alike. We could be sisters too!"

  "That would be nice."

  "Then we're sisters," Liana said with a nod. "And we sisters have to stay together no matter what we face."

  "But do we have to walk?"

  "It would be easier if we fly, right?"

  "Definitely," Fiora agreed.

  "Then let's fly." Liana put her fingers to her lips and let out a piercing whistle.

  "What are you doing?" Fiora asked.

  "Wait," Liana replied, scanning the skies. "Where is he?"

  "Who?"

  "Kyron."

  "Kyron?"

  A shadow passed over them and Liana laughed, pointing. "Kyron!" Fiora fell back as a huge beast descended, golden wings billowing.

  "What is that?" Fiora gasped.

  "This is Kyron," Liana answered, stroking the beast's large hooked beak. Fiora eyed the creature. With the head of an eagle and the body of a lion, it was a fierce sight and yet it stood happily, contently, while Liana stroked its feathers. "I found him when I was small… and we played together."

  "That beast?"

  "Yeah," Liana said. "He doesn't look it, but he's very nice." Kyron trilled and wagged his tail lazily. "Kyron, do you think you can get us to Vane?" She pointed to the far village. "There?" The creature trilled again and sank to its knees, looking at Liana expectantly as Liana looked at Fiora. "Come on."

  "We're going to ride on that… him?" Fiora asked hesitantly. "Are you sure it's safe?"

  "Yes," Liana said. "Come on, trust me. Kyron and I have been together since I was… four. It'll be alright."

  "Okay then," Fiora said, taking a huge breath and walking towards where Kyron lay. "Nice to meet you… Kyron…" The beast leaned forward, cocking his head curiously.

  "Hold out your hand," Liana said. "Go on, pet him. He won't bite."

  "If you say so." She reached out slowly with her hand and flinched when Kyron lunged forward. To her surprise, he rubbed his feathery head against her hand. "You're right," Fiora said, stroking the feathers gently. "He is nice."

  "See? Told you so," Liana said, then swung onto Kyron's back. "Come on. We've got places to go and people to see." Fiora took Liana's hand and with her help climbed onto Kyron's back.

  "Have you done this before?" Fiora asked, wrapping her arms around Liana's waist.

  "Yeah," she answered as Kyron stood and unfolded his huge wings. "Just hold on and you'll get used to it. It's a very different experience to be flying, Fiora, but I think you'll enjoy it. Let's go, Kyron! To Vane!"

  Kyron screeched, then rose into the air with a flap of his wings. They soared into the sky and over the land. "We're up so high," Fiora said in amazement, then laughed. "You're right! This is great! We're flying! We're actually flying!"

  "At this rate, we'll be there in no time," Liana said, her eyes sparkling as Vane grew closer. "I'll finally get to meet my sisters…"

  "By the way… where is your sword?" Fiora asked.

  "No clue," Liana said. "I know I left it beside me when we rested for the night. Weird as it may sound, I even had a dream about it, but when I woke up… it was gone."

  "Really? Do you… think someone took it?"

  "No idea," Liana said with a sigh. She didn't elaborate, so Fiora dropped the subject.

  "I wonder what it's like outside the village," Fiora murmured.

  "We'll just have to see, won't we?" Liana said, then tapped Kyron's head. Kyron chirped, then started to spiral down.

  "What are you doing?"

  "We can't just fly into the town," Liana said. "It might scare all the people. We should land and walk in."

  "That's logical," Fiora said. "And it's not that much further." Kyron landed gently and bent down so they could get off. "Thanks a lot, Kyron. You really saved us a lot of time." Kyron trilled and pushed his head towards Fiora's hand and she laughed. "Can he understand what I'm saying?"

  "Most of the time, I think he can," Liana answered with a smile. "Come on. Kyron, you stay here, alright?" He nodded, and they set out through the forest.

  "How will you know which person your sister?" Fiora asked.

  "The Elder of your village said that this bell would ring when they are near," Liana said, touching the bell gently. She shook it, but no sound came out.

  "That's funny," Fiora said with a frown. "How come there's no sound?"

  "There was before," Liana answered, inspecting the bell with a frown. "Oh well. Guess we'll find out later."

  "Yeah."

  They approached the walls surrounding the village and paused, looking up. "From the sky, it didn't seem that tall," Liana observed.

  "It looks so much larger than my village," Fiora said. "I wonder what it's like inside."

  "Let's-" A clear chime sounded suddenly and Liana stopped. "The bell," she whispered, lifting it slowly. "It's…" She looked up abruptly. "Do you see anyone around here, Fiora?"

  "No," Fiora answered. "But… do you feel the ground… shaking?"

  "You're right…" Liana looked around, then saw a cloud of dust heading towards them. The ground shook as the horses approached, each rider wearing silver armor complete with a helmet and a red cape flowing behind them. "Jump!" she shouted, leaping to the side to avoid the pounding hooves. They got up slowly as the riders galloped away. "What was that?" Liana asked, then looked down at the bell. "The bell's not ringing anymore…"

  "Then would one of those riders be your sister?"

  "It's a long shot," Liana said slowly. "But in the village… I heard the bell ringing when Malkis came at me. Maybe it warns me when there's danger."

  "Could be," Fiora said, then pointed to the receding cloud of dust. "Come on. Maybe if we follow them, we can find a way into the village."
**********
  "Inouva."

  "Yes?" he asked, dropping from where he perched on the roof.

  "Lady Malkis is worried about where your loyalty lies," Eliot said softly, turning to face Inouva. "Tell me, brother. Where does your loyalty lie?"

  "Why do you ask?"

  "I have to know," Eliot said. "They spare us only because our power is of use to their cause… please. Tell me at least. Where does your loyalty lie?"

  Inouva was silent for a second, then turned when a bird landed on his shoulder. He smiled slowly as he lifted a finger to the bird. "To think that in this war torn land that such birds exist," he said softly as it hopped onto his finger, trilling happily. "They are truly beautiful creatures."

  "Answer me, Inouva."

  "Why are we fighting?" Inouva asked, turning slightly. "What are you fighting for?"

  "I fight for Lady Malkis."

  "Because she spared your life?"

  "I owe her my life."

    "I care nothing for what she wants," Inouva said, stroking a finger gently over the bird's feathers.

  "You mean to go against her?"

  "No."

  "Please, Inouva. You know I care for you."

  ”Yes."

  "Then why won't you trust me?"

  "I do."

  "Then tell me, brother. What are you fighting for?"

  "What am I fighting for?" Inouva asked softly, his eyes closing. "For …myself."
**********
  "This place is huge," Fiora breathed, looking around at the houses. The lively streets were full of laughter and chatter. "And there's so much to see here!"

  "This place is amazing," Liana agreed. "But… the larger it is… the harder it is to find my sister…"

  "It can't be that hard," Fiora said. "We'll find her… eventually."

  "I wish I knew where to start," Liana murmured.

  "We must really stand out," Fiora whispered. "A lot of people are staring at us."

  "I don't see anyone wearing what we're wearing," Liana answered. "That's probably why… and we do come from the mountains, remember? It's only natural that if we think they're different, they think we are."

  "You're right, but it's kind of unnerving," Fiora answered. "I wish we could just blend in, you know?"

  "We'll see what we can do." There was a shout from up ahead, then they stopped. "What's going on there?" People started screaming and scrambling away. "Hey," Liana called, catching the arm of a woman who was running pass. "What's going on?"

  "They're here," the woman replied fearfully, tugging her arm. "Run away now, little girl, before the half-breeds catch you!"

  "Half-breeds?" Fiora asked

  "You're not from around here, are you?" the woman asked. "Those filthy half-breeds! They look so much like everyone else you can't tell them apart unless they start to transform!" She tugged her arm free and started to run away again, calling over her shoulder. "If you value your lives, run!"

  "Should we?" Fiora asked.

  "Wait," Liana whispered, cupping her bell. Even in the commotion, she could hear its clear ring vibrating in her heart. "My bell is ringing…"

  "Maybe it's that trouble warning we were talking about," Fiora said, eyeing the place where a crowd of men had gathered in a half circle.

  "Or maybe it's my sister," Liana replied, scanning those that ran past them and trying to find someone who resembled her.

"Are we really going to risk it now?" Fiora asked, her lips tightening. "Wouldn't it be safer if we go now and come back later?"

  A shrill scream rose from the circle and Liana gritted her teeth. "Someone's in trouble," she said, starting forward. "Whether the bell is ringing because my sister is near or whether there's danger, it doesn’t matter now. I have to help whoever is there!"

  "I would say 'don't be so reckless'," Fiora said. "But you're right. We should help."

  "Stay here, Fiora," Liana said. "I'll go."

  "But-"

  "You can get help if something happens," Liana said softly, then smiled and held up her hand. "Besides, I have power now."

  "Yeah," Fiora said, placing her hands on her hips. "But do you know how to use it?"

  Liana's smile widened and she turned to run away. "Not really."

  "Be careful!" Fiora called, following at a distance.

  "I will," Liana answered, then ran forward quickly. She managed to knock three of the ten men unconscious before the others retaliated. She fell back, crouching in a defensive position.

  "Who's this?" one of them growled.

  "Don't know. Haven't seen her before," another answered, then sniffed the air. "And… she doesn't smell like she's from around here."

  "Leave this town," Liana said. "And leave the villagers alone!"

  "And who are you supposed to be?" The man strode forward, towering over her. "You don't reek like those Knights of Bern, yet your smell isn't from the village."

  "Right," Liana replied, edging away slightly. "Just leave."

  "I will do what I please," the man snorted, then grinned down at her wolfishly. "You shouldn't be so reckless, little girl. You could get hurt." A howl rose into the sky and Liana looked behind the man to see a young girl with long dark brown hair tossed against the wall where she sat, trembling.

  "She kicked me," the man snarled, his eyes gleaming with bloodlust. "You'll pay for that, little girl!"

  "Leave her alone," Liana said, darting around the large man and sprinting towards where the girl lay. She leaped into the air and delivered a powerful roundhouse kick to the man closest to her and landed in front of the girl. "Are you alright?"

  "Yes," she replied, her voice shaking slightly. "Yes, I'm fine. Thank you."

  "I'm glad," Liana said, then her eyes widened as she heard the unmistakable sound of bells. "What?"

  "Oh my," the girl whispered, reaching into her cloak and drawing out a transparent light brown bell hung from a fine golden chain. "It's… ringing." She turned her large, dark chocolate brown eyes to Liana. "Then… you must be…"

  "You…" Liana whispered, dropping slowly to her knees. "Are you… my sister…?" The girl's brown eyes brightened and she gave a luminous smile.

  "Yes, I- Watch out!" Liana turned quickly and found a man slashing downwards with his sword. At the last second, she rolled away and the sword crashed to the floor dangerously close to where she had knelt. The girl followed, placing a hand on her shoulder. "Are you hurt?"

  "No. I just got away," Liana replied, rising to her feet. "Okay, stay behind me."

  "But you don't have a weapon," the girl replied. "And they have swords."

  "I know," Liana said, gritting her teeth. "Alright, run. I'll cover for you."

  "But-"

  "I'm probably faster than them anyways, so don't worry," Liana said, turning with a smile. "I'm not going to lose you, especially since I just found you."

  "They have both sides blocked," she said. "I can't run even if I wanted to."

  "Then we really have to fight," Liana whispered, then glanced around quickly for anything that can be used as a weapon. "Don't you have anything in this place that can be used as a weapon?"

  "We don't need weapons," the girl answered, eyeing the men as they closed in on them. "The Knights of Bern protect us."

  "Then why aren't they here?" Liana asked, keeping her body between the men and her sister. "And how did these... half-breeds... get into the town?"

  "They look normal enough, don't they?"

  "That's the problem," Liana said. "This isn't good."

  "You have nowhere to go, my dears," the man said softly. "Why don't you just give up now and save yourself the trouble?"

  "Why don't you leave and you won't get hurt?" Liana shot back.

  "You have no weapons," the man replied. "You have nothing."

  He's right, Liana thought, her hands clenching. I don't have any weapons… and I don't know if I can use my magic without anything getting damaged. What do I-

  "Have you need of a sword?"
a soft voice murmured in her head. "Call my name, and I will come, my lady. Call my name."

  "You're wrong," Liana said softly, her eyes narrowing. She held out her hand slowly. "Hiraikos!" There was a flash of light and she grabbed the sword that appeared in front of her. "Leave now!"

  "The elements?" the man whispered, backing away slightly. "No…"

  "Leave!"

  "Get them!"

  Liana moved forward with a cry to meet the men as they lunged towards her. They are strong, she realized as the blades whistled past her to crack the floor. But they are also very slow. I can do this. She swung her sword, shattering the blades it came into contact with. Finally, the men backed away, their swords broken.

  "Not bad, sis," the girl behind her whispered encouragingly.

  "Incredible," the man whispered. "You are strong indeed, and your blade is one I have never seen. It is beautiful."

  "Please, leave now," Liana said, pointing the tip of her sword at the man. "I have no desire to kill anyone, but I will if I must."

  "I do not doubt your words," the man murmured, then bared his teeth in a slow, feral grin. "However, I am very curious to see how your blade will fare against our teeth." He lifted his head and howled as his face lengthened into a muzzle and he dropped to all fours. Around him, the rest of the men started to change as well.

  "What's going on?" Liana asked, watching as they became more man than beast. "What are they-?"

  "Don't you know?" the girl whispered fearfully. "They are neither man nor beast, but something in between." The men that had stood in front of them were now large wolves, each with glowing red eyes. The leader, a large dark gray wolf, bared his gleaming white teeth. "They must be really mad to revert to their beast forms here."

  "They're huge," Liana said, tightening her grip on her sword. "They're larger than a normal animal would be." They're larger than I am!

  "This isn't good," the girl said. "Lycan are extremely fast and incredibly powerful… and there are six of them."

  "We'll get out of this," Liana said, gritting her teeth. "Trust me."

  "Where is your courage now, little girl?"

  "It spoke," Liana whispered.

  "He's speaking with his mind."

  "I can smell your fear," the wolf continued, stalking slowly forward. "Tell me, my dear. Are you ready to die?"

  "I won't die," Liana said, crouching. "Not now." The wolf just bared its teeth, its tail moving lazily in the air. Liana's bell was still ringing, and she took comfort in the sound as she waited for the wolves to strike. Then, out of nowhere, a lance pierced the lead wolf's side and a pained howl rose into the air. The other wolves immediately gathered protectively around him as it staggered, blood dripping from the wound.

  "We will meet again," the wolf growled as the pack swung to the right. "I long to see how well your blade will fare against our teeth." They loped away, howling into the sky.

  "What was that?" Liana whispered, standing straight. She turned to the left and found the group of riders at the other end of the village, sitting silently on their horses. Their commander, the one at the lead riding the white horse, raised a hand and the group swung around and headed towards the castle in the distance.

  "The Knights of Bern," the girl said with a small smile. "What excellent timing."

  "Yes," Liana agreed, fingering her bell. "We were lucky."

  "Oh, by the way, my name is Sera," the girl said, holding out her hand.

  "I'm Liana," she replied, taking the proffered hand with a smile.

  "I finally got to meet you," Sera said, her large chocolate eyes sparkling. "I've been waiting so long to meet my four sisters."

  "So you knew?"

  "My mother told me before she passed away," Sera answered. "She gave me this bell and told me that when it rang, it would mean one of my four sisters was near."

  "My mother died when I was a baby," Liana said. "I don't remember her… but I just received the bell yesterday from an Elder in the village of Val."

  "Val? The village of the Guardians? The one in the mountains?" Sera asked with a frown. "That's a long way from here… how did you get here in one day?"

  "My friend Kyron flew us here," Liana said. "I'll introduce him later. Speaking of which…" She turned and cupped her hands to her mouth. "Hey, Fiora!"

  "Fiora?"

  "My friend," Liana answered, then waved when Fiora approached. "I found her! I found my sister!"

  "Hello," Sera said with a small bow of her head. "My name is Sera. It's a pleasure to meet you."

  "Same here. I'm Fiora."

  "This is great," Liana said, smiling. "I can't believe I actually found you!"

  "I've been waiting for a long time to meet you too," Sera replied. "But… I wonder where our other sisters are?"

  "My mother left me a message that the Elder passed down to me," Liana murmured. "She said, 'The earth waits in Vane, then follow the wind to Bern. There find the child of flame and find the ship of Syrn.'"

  "Follow the wind to Bern?"

  "Who knows?" Liana said with a small shrug. "I just hope my luck holds out."
**********
  "Oh?" Malkis held up her black bell as it started to ring.

  "What is it, my lady?" Eliot asked.

  "The bell is ringing," Malkis murmured, inspecting the dark bell. "It seems that they have met at last."

  "Should we move as well?"

  "I do look forward to see how well they fight together," Malkis said. "We need to assess just how much power they possess without alerting them of our presence."

  "Then send my brother," Eliot said, bowing. "After all, he is the master of shadows."
**********
    "So you were living alone in the mountains?" Sera asked as they sat together at the village inn. "That's so sad, living alone with no one around you. I mean, I barely knew my mother as well… but at least I had others to talk with. The people here are very nice, and it's hard to get lonely in a place such as this."

  "I didn't mind living alone," Liana admitted, staring down at her cup. "Not a first, but… then I… I met him…"

  (She watched from the shadows with her cloak wrapped tightly around her small body and watched as the young boy approached. "I know you're here. I can feel you watching me. Come on, come out. I know I'm a stranger… but please trust me."

  "Who… who are you?" she called out softly, careful to remain in the shadows. "Leave me alone!"

  He smiled. "I knew it," he breathed, then walked to where she sat. She thought at first that he had seen him, but he just sat against the rock. "I thought there was someone here. I guess I was right." He paused and raised his head to the sky.  “You probably don't trust me, and that's why you won't come out, but that's okay with me. We can just sit here and talk. Is …that alright with you?"

  "…Yes…")
{c/}

  "He helped me… and yet… yet…" Her hand tightened on her cup.

  "Where is he now?" Sera asked, and Liana closed her eyes. "Liana… I'm sorry…"

  "It's funny," Liana said with a sad smile. "I thought I was better off alone… I thought that I wouldn't have to worry about anything but myself if I lived alone… that I wouldn't feel pain… He showed me how wrong I was... and he also proved me right."

  "Proved what?"

  Liana shook her head slowly and raised her cup to her lips. "It's nothing," Liana whispered, then her eyes brightened. "This is great! What is this?"

  "I forgot, you probably don't have soda back in the mountains," Sera said.

  "What's soda?" Fiora asked, sipping hers. "It's so… fizzy."

  "That's what gives it taste," Sera said, smiling.

  "It's good," Fiora said.

  "I knew you would like it," Sera said with a bright smile. "Now, what are we going to do about our other sisters?"

  "Do you think we should wait?" Fiora asked, laying her cup down gently. "I mean, it's not really going to help if we run around in the dark, right? We have to know what we are trying to find, or we'll just end up getting confused and lost."

  "I agree with Fiora," Sera said. "We should try to think this through."

  "But there isn't any time," Liana said, her hands fisting.

  "There's plenty of time," Sera said with a frown.

  "But…" Liana stopped and looked away suddenly.

  "Liana? Is something wrong?" Sera asked.

  "No." Liana put a hand to her head and closed her eyes. "No, it's nothing. You're right." She opened her eyes and gave a small smile. "There's… nothing to worry about at all. We have time…" She stood up abruptly. "I'm going to go to bed."

  "It's still early," Fiora said.

  "It's only seven."

  "Yeah, but all that traveling wore me out," Liana replied. "Don't worry. I just need some rest. I'll see you guys tomorrow."

  "Liana, wait!" Fiora said, but Liana had already walked upstairs.

  "Is…she always like this?" Sera asked.

  "I don't think so," Fiora said, then started to follow Liana.

  Sera caught her arm and shook her head slowly. "No," she said softly.

  "We have to see if she's alright," Fiora said.

  "I know I just met her… but I think that she really needs some time alone," Sera said. "I think we should let her think for a while."

  "I'm just worried," Fiora said, sitting down slowly. "I just met her yesterday… but she was always cheerful…"

  "If something's wrong, I'm sure she will tell us," Sera said with a smile.

  Liana closed the door to her room slowly and sank to the floor, putting her head between her knees. Why is there... no time…?
**********
  So the War of Heavens has begun.
In the darkness, a pair of glowing red eyes opened slowly. This world will be consumed by the darkness. And the Key has appeared. They have begun to move, to meet.

  "Would you have me end this now?"

  No, Drake. The time is not right.

  Drake stood alone in the darkness, staring up at the glowing red eyes. His hair was dark, like a raven's wing, but he wore a mask that revealed only the blood red of his eyes. "What would you have me do then, my lord?"

  Until they have gathered together, we will do nothing. The balance created in this world has crumbled, leaving nothing but darkness and light. We will restore the balance, and return everything to where it came. We will fulfill the prophecy of Twilight.
**********
  ("You know, we've been talking for so long, and I just realized I don't know your name," Darren said. "I already told you mine. Isn't it courtesy to tell me yours?"

  "I didn't ask to know your name."

  He smiled softly and closed his eyes. "Point taken," he murmured. "But it's alright. I'm happy just sitting here and talking to you."

  "So… am I."

  "I'm glad," Darren said. "Hey… doesn't it get lonely out here? By yourself, I mean?"

  "I don't know," Liana answered, watching him from where she sat in the shadows a few feet away. "I've always been alone… so it's alright."

  "Is it really?" Darren asked softly, his dark eyes opening.

  "Why?" she asked.

  "I… just don't think it's right," he said, raising his hand slowly to the sky. "It's not right that anyone has to live alone. It is in our nature to seek company and the warmth of others, right?"

  "I wouldn't know."

  "It's just not right," Darren repeated. "No one should have to be alone."

  "This way… I have nothing to worry about," Liana replied softly, her hands fisting in her lap. She looked down. "This way… I have no one to worry about but myself."

  "That's not true," Darren said. "We were not meant to be alone. You're probably right when you say you won’t be sad, but you won't be happy either. Don't… don't you ever wonder? Don't you ever wonder what it would be like to live with others? To… to love another? To be happy?"

  "I…"

  "Sorry," Darren said quickly with a smile. "Sometimes I get carried away." He turned back to the sky. "Hey…I've never seen you… you know?"

  "If I don't want to be seen… then no one can see me."

  "I guess," Darren said with a sigh. "Despite the fact I seem to be talking to thin air… I'm really glad I met you."

  "Liana."

  "What?"

  "My name…” she said softly. “You asked for my name… Liana.”)

**********
 
Liana… She stirred slightly and opened her eyes to find herself suspended in darkness. "Where am I?" she whispered. Liana… "That voice…" A bright light appeared in front of her and she gasped as it washed over her, turning the shadows into a field of golden flowers. Turning, she could make out five figures robed in white. One stepped forward slightly, smiling.

 
Liana…

  "Who…" Liana whispered, taking in the dark hair and bright blue eyes.

  The woman smiled gently and reached out slowly with a hand.
Liana…

  "Mo… ther," Liana whispered, taking a step forward. She turned to the women behind her mother, each wearing serene smiles. "Mother… is it really you?"

 
Listen to me, she whispered in a soft, silky voice. There is no time.

  "What?" Liana whispered, her eyes wide as images flooded her mind. From the darkness, a pair of red eyes slowly opened and deep laughter echoed in her head. A figure appeared in the darkness, eyes glowing blood red behind the mask.

 
There is no time, Liana, her mother repeated sadly, and wings unfolded slowly from her back. Before Liana could reach her, she exploded in a shower of feathers that drifted in the breeze. There is no time…
**********
  "Is something… wrong?" Sera asked as they walked together through the marketplace. "You seem kind of distant today."

  "It's nothing," Liana said in an absent tone.

  "You're not watching where you're going," Sera said. "You're just …walking. You have to watch where you're going, Liana."

  "I am," Liana said, jostling a man.

  "Watch it, kid," the man said, eyeing her, but Liana just kept walking.

  "I'm sorry, sir," Sera said, bowing her head in apology. "I'm afraid my sister isn't herself today. Please excuse us." She ran to catch up with Liana and caught her arm, dragging her to the side of the street. "Come on, Liana. Tell me what's wrong."

  "Nothing."

  "You can't fool me, little sister."

  "How do you know I'm younger?" Liana challenged, her lips twitching.

  "I'm seventeen," Sera said with a smile.

  "I'm eighteen."

  "Liar."

  "How can you tell?" Liana asked, smiling and sighing. "Fine. I'm fifteen."

  "Thank goodness," Sera breathed, then hugged Liana. "You're smiling again. I was beginning to think that you would never smile again."

  "I was alright," Liana said. "Honest."

  Sera drew back and smiled. "Liar."

    "Would you-" She stopped suddenly as someone bumped into her. "Hey!"

  "Oh, I'm really sorry," a young girl said, her dark blond head lowered.

  "It's alright," Liana said. "Hey… wait a second…"

  "I'm really sorry," the girl repeated, putting up her hood and running off.

  "Wait!" Liana called as the girl vanished into the crowd.

  "What is it?"

  "There's too much noise here," Liana said. "But…there was something familiar about that girl… and I'm sure my bell was ringing."

  "That girl?"

  "I think so," Liana said. "Come on, before we lose her. I have to make sure." They ran after the girl, trying to see where she went. Liana stopped and stood on the tips of her toes, trying to see above the crowd. "I can't see anything. Can you see her, Sera?"

  "I'm only a bit taller than you," Sera replied as she strained to see. "She didn't get that much of a head start, did she?"

  "No," Liana replied, sighing. "It's like… she just disappeared."
© Copyright 2007 Liana (UN: liana134 at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Liana has granted Writing.Com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.
<<< Previous · Entry List · Next >>>
Printed from https://writing.com/main/books/entry_id/495951-Chapter-2-Sera