*Magnify*
    September     ►
SMTWTFS
1
2
3
4
5
6
7
8
9
10
11
12
13
14
15
16
17
18
19
20
21
22
23
24
25
26
27
28
29
30
Archive RSS
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://writing.com/main/books/entry_id/424351-Simple-Pleasures
by Ho Tep
Rated: 18+ · Book · Other · #900612
The ups and downs of being single in your 30's...early 30's that is.
#424351 added May 8, 2006 at 8:33am
Restrictions: None
Simple Pleasures
On Saturday I volunteered to help with the Special Olympics with my mom's company. I had always heard about it and seen different events on T.V., but never realized it happened right here in my own neighborhood.

We had to be there at the crack of dawn and it was rather chilly, but it was the best experience I have ever had.

There were 400 participants ranging in the ages of 8 years old to 30+. The participants were mentally disabled with only a few that were physically disabled.

The event we were helping with was the 50 meter and the 100 meter female race. I am now a pro timer! *Bigsmile* It was so amazing to see just how happy these athletes were just to be there. Each of them received a ribbon, which excited them more, but what place they were didn't really matter to them. It was so inspiring to watch their positive attitudes. As they came running across the finish line the smiles they had on their faces were huge and all they looked for was someone to hug, not searching to find out how fast they went. It was GREAT!!!

For anyone who has the urge to do volunteer work and is able to cheer and hug these happy athletes, I highly recommend helping with the Special Olympics!!

© Copyright 2006 Ho Tep (UN: yellow1671 at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Ho Tep has granted Writing.Com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://writing.com/main/books/entry_id/424351-Simple-Pleasures