*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://writing.com/main/books/entry_id/414644-Hot-Bricks-and-Candy
Rated: 18+ · Book · Experience · #1070119
It's all her fault.
#414644 added March 23, 2006 at 1:53am
Restrictions: None
Hot Bricks and Candy
I asked Grandpa why we had to get home before it got dark. He said, “We have to get the horses in.”

I had forgotten about Patches and Jack. “Do you think they’re alright?”

“I’m sure they’re alright,” Grandpa said, “but it’s starting to get colder.” We came up on where we make our turn to go up to the house. “Remind me to hook up the snow blade tomorrow and plow this down.” Grandpa put the truck down in what he called ‘granny gear’ and with the help of the chains on the wheels, we slowly climbed the hill. When we made it to the top and turned into the driveway, Grandpa stopped and gave the house keys to Lenny to go in and open the back door. After Lenny got out, Grandpa drove around the back and into the garage.

About the time we were getting out of the truck, Lenny appeared with Grandpa’s keys. Grandpa said to him, “Let's you and me go over to the barn and get Jack and Patches back inside while Lanny and Mike get the groceries in.” I asked Grandpa if I could turn on the Christmas lights, and he said that I could. “Oh, and y’all leave the garage door open so I can put the blanket back over the engine when I come back.”

While Grandpa and Lenny headed over towards the barn, Lanny and I started carrying the groceries in. When we had gotten all of the bags in the house, we started putting away the groceries, at least the ones that we knew where they went. It wasn’t too long and Grandpa and Lenny came in. I asked how were the horses were.

“They’re just fine,” Grandpa said, “we didn’t have much problems with Patches, she was worn out from playing all day. Jack just came right in.” I was glad to hear that they were alright.

Grandpa said, “Lets get the rest of this stuff put away then set the table for supper,” and he told us what went where. There was one bag left over and I looked inside and saw all kinds of candy.

“Where does this go, Grandpa?” I asked.

He looked in the bag and said, “Just set it in the front room for now.” He followed me out there and began placing the bricks right on the fire, leaning them from the grate to the log. I asked what he was doing.

“I’m making these bricks hot, that’s all you need to know for now.”

“Yes, sir,” I replied.

“Let’s get supper done first.”

We had a fine time talking over supper about the events of the day, the music, Mr. Massey, and such. We all ate our fill, then Grandpa went into the front room and my brothers and I washed, dried and put away the dishes. When we went into the front room, each of us had a piece of candy or a cookie from the Tomlins. I tried not to think of the bricks, but every now and then I would take a look at them and think What would Grandpa want with hot bricks?

As I sat there enjoying the lights, I began to get sleepy. But then Grandpa spoke up and said, “Well, the one more thing that needs tending to, you boys are in for it now.”

I immediately shook off the sleepiness and all three of us looked at him, waiting for his orders for whatever needed to be done.

“It’s a surprise,” Grandpa said.

There was a long pause, during which the three of us fairly squirmed in anticipation. Finally, he continued.

“I want you boys to go and get the three chairs from the table and put them in the pantry.”

We looked at him as if we were totally lost, but now was not the time to question his orders. “Yes, sir,” we replied.

Grandpa followed after us as we went into the kitchen. We got three chairs like he asked and carried them into the pantry.

Grandpa said, “Now here’s the fun part. You three are going to sit in those chairs. So before we start, if any of you need to go to the bathroom or get something to drink, do it now. If not, I want you to sit in here and do not come out no matter what you might hear. Okay?”

“Yes, sir,” we said. I asked if I could have an RC Cola and so my brothers asked if they could, too. Grandpa said we could, so we each got a bottle from the fridge. Lanny announced that he needed to go to the bathroom, so we all waited until Lanny finally returned, got his bottle of pop, and sat down.

Grandpa said, “You boys promise you won’t get up and look?”

“Yes, sir, we promise.”

We sat there quietly, our eyes wide open and staring at each other, as Grandpa left.

© Copyright 2006 TeflonMike (UN: teflonmike at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
TeflonMike has granted Writing.Com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://writing.com/main/books/entry_id/414644-Hot-Bricks-and-Candy