*Magnify*
    September     ►
SMTWTFS
1
2
3
4
5
6
7
8
9
10
11
12
13
14
15
16
17
18
19
20
21
22
23
24
25
26
27
28
29
30
Archive RSS
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://writing.com/main/books/entry_id/386944-You-Know-Its-Winter-When
Printer Friendly Page Tell A Friend
No ratings.
Rated: E · Book · Drama · #1024386
The days of Michelle's life as a wife, mother, daughter, employee
#386944 added November 21, 2005 at 12:20pm
Restrictions: None
You Know It's Winter When:
You know it's winter when:

No bugs, flies, gnats or bees, try to fly in your home when you open the door. (Thank goodness! I hate bugs!)
You have to get out the "winter coat." (Everyone in the Northern states has at least one and several others used for varying degrees of temperature.)
You have to let the car "warm up." (Who wants to sit in a cold car while it warms up! Note to self, add Remote Starter to Christmas List.)
Everything metal you touch gives you a shock. (No kidding, it really hurts!)
Your skin gets so dry it cracks. (Fortunately, this doesn't happen to me often but I should buy stock in the lotion makers.)
You're excited about 40 degree days and ecstatic when the wind doesn't blow. (Yes, this really happens; it's like being glad that gas is $2.11.)
Weather reports include "Wind Chill" temperatures. (Like we need to know that! The temperatures are scary enough!)
Nights get longer and days get shorter. (We need vitamin D from the sunshine so it can get depressing.)
At least once a day someone asks you, "Is it cold enough for ya?" (Here's your sign!)
Colds circulate through the office and families like wildfire and flu shots are given at every doctor's office. (Actually, this happens at our house, all year round.)
You nose starts to run at the first blast of cold air and it turns red. (I'm not joking.)
You have to stop at the store for salt and it's not the kind for food. (This wreaks havoc on decks and driveways but is necessary.)
Instead of high heels, you opt for socks and a good pair of boots! (With high heals in tow.)
The snow blower replaces the lawn mower in the shed or garage. (And then wait for the last flakes to fall or you'll just be doing it again.)
School is called off because of snow. (My kids get up early just to listen to the radio for school closings and if it happens, it's like Christmas to them.)
You're late for work because traffic was backed-up due to an accident. (Everyone forgets how to drive at the first snow. It happens; It's a rule.)
You didn't shovel and now the snow is so hard-packed it's hard to maneuver over. (I didn't know snow could actually make a crunch sound.)
You actually witness birds flying South. (I guess my teacher was right.)
Yep, it's winter.

© Copyright 2005 Mwrites (UN: mwrites at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Mwrites has granted Writing.Com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://writing.com/main/books/entry_id/386944-You-Know-Its-Winter-When