*Magnify*
    September     ►
SMTWTFS
1
2
3
4
5
6
7
8
9
10
11
12
13
14
15
16
17
18
19
20
21
22
23
24
25
26
27
28
29
30
Archive RSS
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://writing.com/main/books/entry_id/209808-Forever-My-Child
Rated: 18+ · Book · Writing · #464720
You supply the reading. I'll supply the writing.
#209808 added November 30, 2002 at 12:21pm
Restrictions: None
"Forever My Child"
I'm a single Dad...

I'm VERY proud of my boys. :):):):) There's not a day that goes by without us saying we love each other. I've tried to teach my guys to hug and be considerate. I'm getting all gurly now.

I find it very hard opening up on the net. For me, posting stuff here is like spray painting my personal information on a subway wall. That's slowly changing. I'm much more open now than I was. In time, I may disclose other things too...we'll see.

From the day that I became a single parent...(Derek had just started grade one and Mitchell had just started kindergarten)...I made my mind up to use all my energy for my guys.

Learning how to sew, grocery shop and cook has been interesting. I've had lots of help from my parents. Mum always wanted the boys to look their best at school, so she's shouldered doing the laundry...ironing and fabric softeners were never my strong suit.

Mitchell is the baker among us. We've made a few memories in the kitchen. Guys trying to bake their first pie can make quite a mess...especially guys that have been known to continue a snowball fight indoors...A "truce" should mean cease fire. Faces covered in flour are so cute. I'd pick up stuff from the grocery store..."easy bake" this..."miracle" that..."lot's of luck...you're goin' ta need it" stuff. Over time I've mastered some of the secerts of pancake, lasagna and Yorkshire pudding creation.

About two years ago, Mitchell decided that he wanted to become a vegetarian. I've always intended to. Derek loves food too much. After contacting a dietician, Mitchell and I stopped eating any meat...not ice cream, eggs or cheese...but...as Mitchell told me...No clams or fish. Vegetarian food sucks..but this can wait for another journal entry.

Derek is the more affectionate of the two...a daredevil when it comes to tobogganing...and undisputed king when it comes to whipping his old man at "Mario Go Kart". Derek is a night owl...just like me. Very difficult to wake in the mornings...(unlike me). Mitchell has been staying up later but he's definiately a morning person. Derek is a fantastic drawer. Mitchell has a great sense of humor...we love harassing telemarketers...maybe more about that later.

I often wish I had a daughter too...I'm not complaining...I know I've been blessed. :)

This is a poem that my guys inspired me to write back in early June 2002.



Forever My Child

They've just made my little one cry,
with taunts and cat calls said with glee.
She's almost worthless in their eyes,
but she means the whole world to me.

My little boy's last to be picked.
He just wants to play in their game.
"We'll lose with him" they all predict,
but he's a star in my hall of fame.

This girl of mine, who some call fat,
crying once again in her room.
She's beautiful, can't she realize that?
She's been my princess since the womb.

This young man you call a retard,
who always has a smile for you,
you treat like dirt. He tries so hard.
He could teach you a thing or two.

This woman you're about to rape,
she's still the little girl I love.
To you she's nameless, just a shape.
Please don't hurt my precious dove.

This man you're pointing that gun at,
I used to bounce him on my knee.
He's now a dad, did you know that?
Don't take him from his family.

This old lady, lost in the crowd,
My "Muffy", so giving, so kind.
In Heaven, I'm so very proud.
She's the best thing I've left behind.

Then, Now, Forever
xxxx oooo




© Copyright 2002 Thumbsucker (UN: thumbsucker at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Thumbsucker has granted Writing.Com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://writing.com/main/books/entry_id/209808-Forever-My-Child