*Magnify*
    October     ►
SMTWTFS
  
1
2
3
4
5
6
7
8
9
10
11
12
13
14
15
16
17
18
19
20
21
22
23
24
25
26
27
28
29
30
31
Archive RSS
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://writing.com/main/books/entry_id/114160-Relationships-anddun-dun-dunThe-Bread-Winner
Rated: GC · Book · Biographical · #167060
Thoughts of a 21 year old who is learning to deal with sexuality and losing her virginity
#114160 added June 27, 2001 at 9:59pm
Restrictions: None
Relationships and...dun dun dun..."The Bread Winner"
Traditionally, when a man and a woman are in a relationship, the man is the "bread winner." What I would like to know is, who wrote this "law?" Why are men so insecure in their masculinity that it would offend them to no end if their woman made more money than they did? I had a rather curious conversation regarding this exact topic with the two men in my life, my father and my boyfriend.

I am currently going to college to earn a Bachelors Degree in Computer Science. Yeah...I'm a programmer. When - and if - I make it out of college alive, I have the possibility of making a lot of money in my chosen career. My boyfriend, God bless him, is a mechanic. He sees this almost as a stigma because he isn't exactly making a ton of money. I told him about a job opportunity I have directly out of college, then he said it. "You'll be making too much money to want to be with a poor person like me."

What do you say to something like that?? Isn't that the STUPIDEST thing you've ever heard? Money is not everything. Even if I had all the money in the world, it would be nothing to me if I was not happy. And I would not be happy without him. End of story.

So now I know my nerdiness bothers him. Greeeeeeeat. What can I do? I have no idea. So I did what a girl can do when she's confused about men. I went to my dad.

Well my father, in his infinite wisdom, made the situation worse. He agrees with my boyfriend! Dad said he would feel downright offended if my mother made more money than him. He is supposed to be "the breadwinner."

Someone, get me a calendar. I was under the impression that it was the 21st century. I was also under the impression that the women's movement of the 1960's brought to light (at least a little) that women are very intelligent creatures that are equal to men? Guess I was wrong.

This whole foul mess has made me decide one thing for certain. I am going to get a computer programming job. I will most likely have a very good paycheck...and if my boyfriend is still around, he can enjoy it with me. :) If not, he needs to go to school and get a degree and do something else with his life.

Until then, I'm the Queen Bread Winner. ;)

© Copyright 2001 JLennonGrrl (UN: jlennongrrl at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
JLennonGrrl has granted Writing.Com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://writing.com/main/books/entry_id/114160-Relationships-anddun-dun-dunThe-Bread-Winner