*Magnify*
    October     ►
SMTWTFS
  
2
4
5
9
11
13
15
16
17
19
20
21
22
23
24
25
26
27
28
29
30
31
Archive RSS
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://writing.com/main/books/entry_id/1078496-Never-Enough
Rated: 18+ · Book · Biographical · #2258138
This is my blog & my hope, writing daily will help me see my progress and log supporters.
<<< Previous · Entry List · Next >>>
#1078496 added October 18, 2024 at 1:25am
Restrictions: None
Never Enough
Today marks the end of the Buddhist observance of Wan OK Phansa...which means many people who haven't been drinking alcohol for the past three months will be getting on it tonight. Because of this, I'll be staying off the roads for the next few days.

The land of smiles has a dark side (and I am not talking about the sex industry), and I am seeing more of it as time goes by. There is a saying among ex-pats about Thais, and that is, no matter how much you pay, it's never enough.

When I recently moved house, I had to report my new address to Thai immigration. When I did this around a month ago, there was a problem. My landlord doesn't technically own the house I am renting (his wife died the month before and the house is in her name). We (my landlord and I) had to front immigration and try to come up with a solution. Of course, there is always a solution in Thailand (money), and the officer told us (through Nada's interpretation) that she (the officer) could fix the 'problem', but it would cost 20k baht (around US$600)...which my landlord later placed in a plain envelope and passed discretely across the counter.

We knew this payment was graft, but that's the way it is in Thailand. Upon receiving the money, the immigration officer promised that she would take care of the issue. Then, a few days ago, we received a message from the officer asking for a further 25k. I told Nada to inform her that no further payments would be made...I mean, where does it end?

Now, I am not sure what the repercussions will be. Immigration in Thailand is one step below God, and literally the end of the line for any Farang wanting to remain in the country. They need no reason to refuse entry or allow us to stay. I'm safe for now. The last time I saw the officer, she stamped my passport for a further ninety days (I have no idea what address she used, however) but it will be interesting to see what happens when I next have to report in December.

I must admit, I'm tired of the way we Farangs are looked at here in Thailand...not just by the authorities, but also by the locals. Foreigners, in general, are treated like second-class citizens. The police see us as an easy source of revenue and many vendors charge us more than they do the locals. And now this problem (if it even is a problem) has me thinking if Thailand is a cheaper place to live or not.

There's the language barrier, which is an issue that in all practicality, can never be solved. I've heard of people who have learned to speak Thai, but because of the difficulties involved, and the fact there are so many dialects, that even with a concerted effort, they will never be fluent in any of them. Then throw in this 'us and them' mentality, and the proposed changes to Thai tax policy (to do with funds foreigners bring into the country, regardless of whether tax has already been paid in our own countries or not) and my dream of a better life in Thailand is becoming shaky.

It's not over yet, and fortunately, there are other options here in SE Asia. Thailand has recently (again) changed its visa laws. I can, if I choose, spend 180 days in the country without having to apply for a long-term visa, and this will also negate any need to put in a tax declaration (if that becomes law for long-stay residents...or as we are officially known, as aliens).

I'm not going to stress about it because basically, it is out of my control. I will report to immigration on the date shown on my passport and play dumb (which is how they look at us anyway). I know that any potential issues can and will be solved through the tried and tested method of showing grace and paying a bribe to whoever I am dealing with. Immigration prefers us to go through a visa agent, especially when doing the once-a-year extension of stay application...and that's what I will likely do. The reason why they are popular among us Farangs is that visa agents receive preferential treatment from immigration authorities. They are expensive, but the advantages are there is no waiting in line, and the money we pay goes towards making everyone involved happy...and makes our stay here in the land of smiles go just that little bit smoother.

Fortunately, even if I am eventually kicked out (not that it is likely), there are other options within SE Asia and around the world. South America has many countries where foreigners are welcome to put down roots, and unlike Thailand, some do allow us to own properties...unlike Thailand, where we can only own condos or a house, but not the land it is built upon.

The latter is one of the most contentious issues for me, and the reason I will never invest in home ownership here. Many men meet Thai women, get married and if they wish to purchase a home, they must put the land in their wife's name. The building itself can be in their name, but what use is a house when it is built on someone else's land? Most trust that things will be OK and put the entire property in her name. But if things go sour, there are no prizes for guessing who ends up with nothing. It's just another scam Thailand is aware of...and, in my opinion, encourages locals to pursue it.






© Copyright 2024 Dr Gonzo (UN: neilfury at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Dr Gonzo has granted Writing.Com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.
<<< Previous · Entry List · Next >>>
Printed from https://writing.com/main/books/entry_id/1078496-Never-Enough