*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://writing.com/main/books/entry_id/1078259-Love-Power-Sandpebbles
Rated: 13+ · Book · Music · #2313403
A blog about music from my unique perspective (also a spot for some poetry I’ve written)
#1078259 added October 14, 2024 at 2:32pm
Restrictions: None
Love Power (Sandpebbles)
My eleventh track is from a defunct band, Love Power by one-hit wonders The Sandpebbles. Released in 1967, it became their only notable Billboard chart before they faded into oblivion.

Mom played this song for years, and occasionally still does. I never particularly cared for it myself. She told me how she used to say that someone should cover it and bring it back into the spotlight. Eventually Luther Vandross did, mashing it up with Power of Love in 1991, and she was like "see? I knew it would be a hit."

The theme is one of holding your head high because even if you're poor, you still have love, and that's a powerful thing. I like knowing it exists, simply because few people do. I never thought of adding it to my own playlist until now, though. It never really meant that much to me.

I've squirrelled around on YouTube and found a good clear mono copy of it; the only stereo (binaural) is an extended remake someone made, and I don't like how they messed with the drumroll, pacing and backing vocals.

As I've given it a proper listen, I find it's well produced, with intriguing rhythms and good all-around talent. It's a classic bit of 60's soul.



Words: 214.

© Copyright 2024 Anarchist Angel 🏴 (UN: greenwillow at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Anarchist Angel 🏴 has granted Writing.Com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://writing.com/main/books/entry_id/1078259-Love-Power-Sandpebbles