*Magnify*
    October     ►
SMTWTFS
  
1
5
6
7
8
9
10
11
12
13
14
15
16
17
18
19
20
21
22
23
24
25
26
27
28
29
30
31
Archive RSS
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://writing.com/main/books/entry_id/1077311-The-Long-and-Winding-Road
Printer Friendly Page Tell A Friend
No ratings.
Rated: 18+ · Book · Writing · #2326194
A new blog to contain answers to prompts
#1077311 added September 26, 2024 at 11:16am
Restrictions: None
"The Long and Winding Road"
Prompt:
"The Long and Winding Road" By The Beatles
Write about this line in your Blog entry today.


--------

I liked this song sung by the Beatles even when I first heard it. Soon it became the number one single. I can't recall the year except for the fact that I had recently married. It may just be that I don't remember what year anything was exactly, for fear of it pointing to my many years on this planet.

The song itself actually belongs to Paul McCartney, and understandably so because the lyrics point to only one point of view as it says, "You left me standing here / /A long, long time ago..." This sings of a bittersweet goodbye.

Still, I can detect a sense of hope despite all the sadness in McCartney's words. "Don’t leave me waiting here//Lead me to your door..."

Usually, a sensitive songwriter voices his own personal anguish. At the time, Paul McCartney may just have been doing that for feeling sad about the direction of his own life. There is also a strong nostalgia about a relationship and experiences and the idea of a lonely future, which is quite easy to detect. Some say this points to the breakup of the Beatles, but the song itself makes me think there is a lot more of something personal in it.

At least, for me, this song has become personal in many ways.







© Copyright 2024 Joy-the Harpy Witch (UN: joycag at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Joy-the Harpy Witch has granted Writing.Com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://writing.com/main/books/entry_id/1077311-The-Long-and-Winding-Road