*Magnify*
    September     ►
SMTWTFS
1
2
3
4
5
6
7
8
9
10
11
12
13
14
15
16
17
19
20
21
22
23
24
25
26
27
28
29
30
Archive RSS
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://writing.com/main/books/entry_id/1076969
Printer Friendly Page Tell A Friend
No ratings.
by C. Don
Rated: 18+ · Book · Scientific · #2262478
Just stuff I thought of while getting a little exercise.
<<< Previous · Entry List · Next >>>
#1076969 added September 18, 2024 at 10:39pm
Restrictions: None
Qualia Revisited
I've revisited my blog entry "Predictions" #1024228.

Even though it was viewed 48 times, there were no comments.
I have a favorite memory from my early childhood, probably 1945 when I was two. I was sitting on the running board of our car while Dad was changing a tire. In front of me was a short field, a fence, and an airplane between trees. Men were walking all around it.
At two years old, I shouldn’t have known what the plane was or why it was near the road. I didn’t know what that strange smell was. And I didn’t understand why dust was gusted into my eyes.
Of course I do know.
That was a P-38 fighter plane being prepared for flight by Army mechanics at Louis Field near Tacoma, WA.
It was still WWII and the trees had camouflage netting strung between them to hide the plane.
The men had started the engines and the propwash blew the smell and sand onto us.
But now my memories are augmented so I can see the rivets in the wings, the landing gear and the tire treads, the clamshell nacell doors, and the uniforms of the mechanics, the pilot, and the MP guards watching us.
That is because I have, in my 79 years since then, climbed all over a P-38, inspected every flap, aileron, rudder, and cockpit, and learned to fly. I know planes from that era.
But my recall of that scene 79 years ago now includes much more from my Qualia of airplanes.

© Copyright 2024 C. Don (UN: huntemann at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
C. Don has granted Writing.Com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.
<<< Previous · Entry List · Next >>>
Printed from https://writing.com/main/books/entry_id/1076969