*Magnify*
    September     ►
SMTWTFS
8
9
11
14
15
17
18
20
21
22
23
24
25
26
27
28
29
30
Archive RSS
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://writing.com/main/books/entry_id/1071407-Images
by Sumojo
Rated: 13+ · Book · Personal · #2186156
The simplicity of my day to day.
#1071407 added May 20, 2024 at 10:01am
Restrictions: None
Images
FORUM
Blog City Prompt Forum  (E)
Message forum for Blog City group members to place their entries to blog prompts
#1972533 by Lyn's a Witchy Woman

Prompt: Photography
Photography used to be an art. Nowadays, however, everyone is a photographer, especially with selfies, thanks to technology.

What do you think about the ease that lets people take photographs and selfies in our day compared to several decades ago and the feeling that emanates from the photographs of the bygone days and those of today?

I’ve thought about this often. I remember when having a photograph taken was something special. People of my age had few photos of themselves from childhood but we treasure the ones we have. We’ve seen them so many times each one is imprinted in our minds.

There would be the first one taken as a baby. Probably not taken until the child could at least sit up. Many others would be incidental, where you’d be in the background of a wedding or some event. These photographs would all be taken by a specialist photographer brought in for the occasion.
My favourite one of me as a child is walking along the seafront in England with my parents, two brothers and grandfather. There would be roaming photographers taking photos, asking if you wanted one. I think they’d only pretended to take one and then if interest was shown they’d take one for real. You’d wait impatiently for the time the image would be ready to pick up from the pier or another venue and the family would all ooh and ahh over it.
When we had a camera when I was first married, photos would be taken with a wind-on camera. After the film was all used up, the film would be taken to the chemists or posted off for development. A week or so later you’d receive them back in an envelope. So exciting!
Invariably there’d be disappointment as the quality of amateur photography back then was pretty dismal. But the photos would be placed in an album to be seen by generations.

So different from today when everything is photographed, even what you’re eating is snapped and shared on social media.
Kid’s lives are documented 24/7. But are those images ever even looked at again after they’ve been shared?
As for the selfie, don’t get me started. If I, as a teenager looked in the mirror as many times a day as teenagers today take photos of themselves, I would have been accused of vanity and told to go and do something useful.😂



© Copyright 2024 Sumojo (UN: sumojo at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Sumojo has granted Writing.Com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://writing.com/main/books/entry_id/1071407-Images