*Magnify*
    September     ►
SMTWTFS
1
2
3
4
5
6
7
8
9
10
11
12
13
14
15
16
17
18
19
20
21
22
23
24
25
26
27
28
29
30
Archive RSS
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://writing.com/main/books/entry_id/105626-Chapter-1
Rated: 18+ · Book · Biographical · #141870
A fictional story loosely based on real occurences.
<<< Previous · Entry List · Next >>>
#105626 added June 26, 2001 at 12:39pm
Restrictions: None
Chapter 1
 (This entry was edited by ballantine on 06-26-01 @ 12:39 pm EDT)

Jack Riffer sat with his back against the rock, his feet dangling over the edge of the drop off, wondering what good wondering had ever got him, and just how was he supposed to get out of this one. For somebody as fussy as he was he sure forgot a lot of stuff. Usually it was just small things like forgetting to floss, or help with the housework, the kind of things you chose to forget about. Sometimes he'd go to the store and leave his wallet in his other pants. Once he did that twice... just after he had gone back for it the first time. But Jack figured everybody had days like that. His memory had never worried him before.

"this time", he thought, "this time my goose is really cooked".

Evening was well on its way and the day's light had started to fade fast. Twilight changed the sky from rose to deep indigo. The unceasing sound of water splashing past Jack's perch drowned out the passage of time and Jack almost felt peaceful. A resigned acceptance of his fate had started to take hold of him, and even the startled flight of a thrush was not enough to shake him from his melancholy.

Jack wondered why he wasn't afraid. He knew the coming night sealed his doom. He knew that no one knew he was here and knew that no one knew to come looking for him. He could sense all the powerful primeval fears the coming night created. They massed in the depths of his subconscious, boiling and surging at his slightest notice of them, and yet Jack's thoughts floated above these depths. Mercifully, and for the moment, he was somewhat at peace.

"today is a good day to die." The tremor in his voice didn't do much to convince Jack of this. Jack ventured to try again. "Today is a good day to die" He said with what he believed was more conviction, and then again at the top of his lungs. "TODAY, IS A GOOD DAY..."

"What is so good about it?" The voice shouted back. Then a little more faintly. "We must rescue you now". Then again more loudly "Wait!"

Peaceful, easy feelings be damned, Jack's shouts echoed across the valley.

"WAIT?...NO! WAIT! HELP AU SECOURS, I'M STUCK" Jack shouted as he noticed the small figure moving away from him.

"C'est bon, je reviens. Ne t'inquietes pas"Then more loudly, "I'll be back. Wait. No worry. Okay?" With that final command the figure disappeared along with the days last light.


© Copyright 2001 Ballantine (UN: ballantine at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Ballantine has granted Writing.Com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.
<<< Previous · Entry List · Next >>>
Printed from https://writing.com/main/books/entry_id/105626-Chapter-1