*Magnify*
    September     ►
SMTWTFS
1
2
3
4
5
6
7
8
9
10
11
12
13
14
15
16
17
18
19
20
21
22
23
24
25
26
27
28
29
30
Archive RSS
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://writing.com/main/books/entry_id/1027489-Money-for-Two-Nights-in-a-Hotel
Printer Friendly Page Tell A Friend
No ratings.
Rated: 18+ · Book · Entertainment · #2091196
The fun, the frustrating and the unbelievable-- Living in the Nation's Capitol
#1027489 added January 13, 2023 at 4:19pm
Restrictions: None
Money for Two Nights in a Hotel
My sister, the alcoholic and addict called this afternoon. Is there a difference or one in the same? Cheryl only calls me if she wants something. I get a knot in my stomach when the phone rings. If she is calling me, she is desperate because I am the bottom of the family totem pole. Everyone else had said no, and I am undoubtedly the last resort. My nickname in the family is Judge Judy, the one that calls it like it is. “Hi, it’s your sister Cheryl,” she began in a scratchy and desperate cracking voice.

After superficial greetings, “I have a favor to ask. I am homeless tonight. Would you lend me money to cover two nights in a hotel? I went to see Guthry for a couple days and now I am stuck because there are no buses running and I cannot get back to mom’s place.”

“Cheryl, did you quit your job last week,” I ask?

“Yes,” she replied.

“Why can’t you ask your boyfriend (and fiancé) for the money,” I asked?

“Guthry is tapped out, he paid for the last three nights in the hotel, and he does not have it.”

Have Guthry ask his parents for the money, or stay with your (50-year-old alcoholic) boyfriend’s parents.”

“They won’t give up the money,” Cheryl replied, “and we’re fighting. I am going to dump him. I am not taking his calls. I am going to be homeless if you can’t help me.”

We discussed her perpetual drama. Always asking, always in trouble, never planning for anything, no regard or concern for anyone except herself. Then, “I don’t want to lie. I did not quit, I got fired.” Predictable I thought. “There was an altercation with a transsexual – a transgender person. I called him a her, or her a him, or some shit like that… You’d never understand, but I am doing everything right, I’m not drinking,” said Cheryl.

I often preach to my siblings discouraging aide that enables Cheryl’s actions. So today, I was not going to be the enabler. “Sorry Cheryl, I don’t have it. I cannot pay for two nights in a hotel,” I said.

“I have a paycheck coming to mom’s place soon. I will pay you back, I promise,” said Cheryl. She has never paid anyone back, I thought.

“No Cheryl, I am going to take a pass. I don’t have it,” I said, and disconnected the call. Now I wonder how long before the next level of drama. This will escalate, we are not done with this incident; act two forthcoming.

© Copyright 2023 Michael Jay Aitch (UN: ghostly_writer at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Michael Jay Aitch has granted Writing.Com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://writing.com/main/books/entry_id/1027489-Money-for-Two-Nights-in-a-Hotel