*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/2327893-What-The-Owl-Knows
Printer Friendly Page Tell A Friend
No ratings.
by Espero
Rated: E · Fiction · Dark · #2327893
A secret lies deep within the forest. Will it be revealed?
It was a windy fall day, leaves crunched under Fanny's feet. The breeze whipped her long black hair as she made her way along the rugged path leading to the lighthouse perched atop the nearby cliff.

The heavy iron door screeched as she struggled to open it; then entered the building and left it ajar. Catching her breath, she looked up at the tall, impressive building and slowly made her way up the spiral staircase. The steps were slippery, her knuckles were white from gripping the handrails along the way. Finally she reached the door to the catwalk and gingerly opened it so as not to fall down the stairs. Overhead, she could see a line of bats hanging at the top of the lantern room, but she knew they were stationary this time of day.

Fanny scanned the sea, hoping to see her husband's fishing ship on the horizon but saw nothing but the frothy waves pounding the rocky shore.

Oh, where was he, this man of hers? When would he return?

Heaving a sigh of despair, she turned around to glance at the dense black forest. Even from here, the whisper of branches and leaves serenading the forest creatures felt eerie. Fanny knew from instinct that it would be there, but she couldn't stop herself from looking up at the tall forbidding pine tree. Yes, there he was, as usual. The Barred Owl with his yellow beak and huge black eyes appeared to be staring right through her. His entire demeanor suggested that he knew something she didn't, something sinister. She felt as if he was portraying himself as King of the forest. Didn't he have better things to do than to endlessly sit there? She shivered and carefully made her way back down the staircase, feeling that she had overstayed her welcome. Feeling disappointed that the ship was still nowhere in sight she would return again tomorrow.

A rattle sounded on the cement as her foot kicked something and sent it careening across the floor. Bending to pick up the object, she screamed as a mouse scurried past her and disappeared in a hole. Grabbing the iron door, she struggled until it finally slammed shut with a bang making her jump as the sound echoed throughout the lighthouse. Now looking at the item in her hand she realized it was an old ancient key. It was quite large and most of the brass finish was oxidized which turned it a greenish blue color.

What in the world?, she thought I've been here every day and never saw it lying on the floor before, where did it come from? Is someone else visiting the lighthouse too?. Puzzled, she looked around but saw no one. She started back down the path, anxious to get home, turning to look behind her several times and locking the door when she entered the house.

Meanwhile, the owl, who was on guard as he and his family had been for years, emitted a 'whoot, whoot', as if to indicate he had frightened her away. He had known for some time that events were going to happen; for his helpers in the forest had reported that the signs were beginning. Something was buried deep in the forest and recently the ground had begun shaking and cracks were appearing under the cover of leaves and brush. The Owl was amused, for he knew the secret of the key and the chaos that would ensue when it was finally used on the vessel. It wouldn't be good, but he had nothing to fear; nothing at all.


© Copyright 2024 Espero (espero at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/2327893-What-The-Owl-Knows