*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1745794-Poveglia--The-Island-of-Horror
Rated: 13+ · Other · Folklore · #1745794
The History of the deadly island know as Poveglia
               
Poveglia- Island of Horror   
 
                The fate of Povelgia has always been bad from the start. Even though centuries apart the events that have happened on this small island have caused terror in the eyes of many. From dead bodies that constantly wash up from the island, the screams and moans of pain that constantly come from this place are suppose to be so terrible that some locals refuse to go any where near this deadly place. So, do the terrible happenings that accrued on these grounds affect its paranormal state, or do the people that visit the island just have a wild imagination? I’m sure those who have died on the island would say different after all according to the legends, we can ask them.
         Back in the roman times there was a disease that broke out among the people, this disease is known as the Black Plague or Black Death. This disease was so deadly that it killed close to over half of the population in Europe, taking whole families and even villages at a time. This caused so much terror because they had no way of fighting it, so it spread like wild fire. There only way of getting rid of it was to separate those infected from the healthy ones, dragging people out of there homes or not allowing people a proper burial, they took them to Povelgia where they made huge pit which they threw these people into. Dead or alive, once in these pits the people would then be set on fire, turning the bodies to ash. Locals even believe that the dead reach all the way to hell. Since they were not buried properly, it is said that the souls of these victims are to roam the island for eternity, giving you the most unwelcome feeling you have ever felt by just setting foot on its grounds. But does this event effect Povelgia forever?
         Unfortunately that was not the end of the horrors for Povelgia. In 1922 there was a mental hospital built on the island. The experiments that they performed on the patients were cruel from the start, but once they started saying how they were seeing the dead, things became increasingly worse, they would cut open the heads of paitents and inspecting there brains. These procedures would usually happen while the victims were still alive. The head doctor of this institution was said to be a very cruel man. He himself initiated most of these exams. But even he could not escape the ghost or the victims of his studies. He too started seeing the same things as his patients, these visions drove to the same state as the people he ‘treated’, insanity. The ghost had so much control over the doctor, he climbed to the top of the clock tower on the island, the only building that can be seen from all sides of  Poveglia , nurses and patients looked up as he looked down to his death. They say that he didn’t jumped but it looked like he was pushed. Once he was lying on the ground he started moving, they say, like he was trying to sit up, but it was to late. As the legend goes, he was eloped into a dark mist, then when the mist drifted away, doc was dead. Autopsy showed later on that the man died from strangulation, not from the injuries of the fall. But how true can the story be, after all this was a mental hospital?
         There is no way we can know if these events effect the islands paranormal state. To answer this you have to except the fact that there is such thing as a paranormal state, which is very hard for some people. There is so much evidence supporting the fact but this island, the island of horror is a landmark of folklore but like ever-other myth it seems so real but still so fake, we will never know the truth about Povelgia.
© Copyright 2011 Beester (beester at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1745794-Poveglia--The-Island-of-Horror