*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1394345-A-Dark-Stranger
by Lydia
Rated: 13+ · Short Story · Other · #1394345
An item for a contest on a different site.
He was hardly a stranger in my life at this point. I had seen him many times. Mostly he was going to other places and visiting other people, but he had been by our house a few times. I had seen him lots, yes, but we had never spoken.

The last time I ever saw him was right after my mother went into labor. He slipped in through the front door, and, after a quick glance at me, into the room where my mother lay.

A few minutes later, he came back into the room where my father and I sat waiting. He carried a new born baby boy, and led my mother by the hand.

Sadly, I asked him, “Must she go too?” He looked at me and nodded.

“Sarah? Who are you talking to?” my drunken father demanded.

“No one father.” He could not see the dark stranger; only I could. I had never told him about the stranger either. There was no need too. He wouldn't believe me either way.

“Don’t lie to me. You were talking to someone,” he slurred. The dark stranger paused at the front door and turned. I stood up, fearing the worst. The midwife came in, saving me from a beating.

“Well? How is she?” my father asked.

“I’m sorry sir, but neither she nor the child made it,” she replied. “I did my best to try and save them.”

My father jumped to his feet growling. “I don’t think you tried hard enough.”

I stepped between them. “Father, don’t. You’re upset and drunk. Don’t do something you’ll regret later.”

“Upset? I’ll show you upset!” He slapped me hard across the face, sending me sprawling. “Maybe that’ll shut you up, bitch!”

My head hit the table as I fell. There was a brief stab of extreme pain, then I lost all feeling. My sight went black and there was an overwhelming smell of blood. I could hear the midwife cry out: “Now look what you’ve done!” but it seemed so far away.

There was a soft shuffle of cloth by my ear. “Do you wish to live out your life? If you do, you’ll never see again. I can leave you here, but I can’t restore your sight. That is beyond my power.” I didn’t recognize the voice, but it was almost certainly the stranger’s.

“Then it is my turn to go with you?” I asked.

“Yes.”

“Then take me with you.” He grasped my arm and helped me up. As I stood up, I could feel my body beneath me die. I regained my sight instantly. The midwife was crouched next to my body, trying to revive me. I could feel the tug of my body on my soul, but I didn’t turn back. There was nothing left for me in the mortal world. I was an only child living with an abusive father. I had four siblings and my mother waiting for me in the land of the dead, along with my ancestors.

I walked over to my mother and hugged her tightly. “You too, my child?” she asked sadly.

I nodded. “It was my turn to leave with the dark stranger.” I had told her about my sightings of a stranger clad in dark clothing. She hadn't known what to think of it at first, but she accepted it.

“Ah, so this is your dark stranger.” She curtseyed. “How do you do?”

He nodded and offered her his hand, which she took. She kissed my cheek and, after waving goodbye to my father and the midwife, left with my new brother and Death.

© Copyright 2008 Lydia (lydia_trebond at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1394345-A-Dark-Stranger