*Magnify*
Path to this Chapter:
  1. Adventure... Awaits!
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://writing.com/main/interactive-story/item_id/2261964-Breakwynd-Journey/cid/3144071-Adventure-Awaits
Printer Friendly Page Tell A Friend
No ratings.
by Clide
Rated: 13+ · Interactive · Fantasy · #2261964
Get ready for an adventure full of magic, fantasy, and a whole lot of farting!
Chapter #1

Adventure... Awaits!

    by: Clide
Somewhere out there, there is a kingdom known as Esteri - a land teeming with large landscapes, hundreds of civilians, and the promise of adventure. For one young man, that adventure is exactly what they seek.

Erik Leif has traveled to Esteri in the hopes of embarking on a new quest, unaware of what waits for him when he arrives. After all, that was how he had always preferred it - to Erik, there was no adventure if there wasn't a sense of mystery and surprise that came with it.

Erik was a 5' 7" twenty-two-year-old man with short black hair and small patch of facial hair affixed to his chin. Everywhere he went, he would be wearing the same explorer's outfit, which consisted of a tan vest with a white shirt underneath, bright blue jeans with a black belt, and topped off with a frontward-facing cap to guard his eyes from the sunlight. He had a backpack strapped upon his shoulders, carrying all the supplies he needed, including very basic camping supplies whenever they were needed, as well as plenty of coin and food.

Erik had been an adventurer since he was 17, making him seasoned over the course of five years. Though, what made Erik unique among his fellow adventurers was that he was not at all associated with any one party or guild. Somehow, despite his young age, Erik had managed to make it as an adventurer all on his own, which he held as a great source of personal pride.

That said, he had also felt that he had done about all the adventuring he could in his homeland of Arbot, and decided to travel to the neighboring kingdom of Esteri in search of something new. He made his way towards the kingdom by foot initially, until he had stumbled upon a small caravan of people who were immigrating from Arbot to Esteri for one reason or another. Thankfully, the caravan offered Erik the chance to ride with them in one of their carriages, under the condition that he acts as a bodyguard of sorts during the night, so as to ward off any unwanted scavengers or beasts. Erik agreed simply because he saw it both as good work and an excuse to rest his feet, and became friendly with those along the caravan rather quickly.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------- -------------------------------------------------------------------------------- ----------------------------------------

Erik and the accompanying caravan had traveled for just short of a week, and were about to cross the border between Arbot and Esteri by midday. While it would take another day or two to arrive to the nearest town afterwards, for all intents and purposes, Erik was about to find himself in a brand new realm of possibilities.

Erik was sitting the carriage behind the one leading the caravan in front - that carriage was occupied by a husband and wife, with the wife sitting in the carriage across from Erik, while the husband steered the carriage, as it was fastened to two horses.

The wife asked Erik, "Stranger, what brings you to Esteri?"

Erik looked at the wife, initially confused. "Stranger? Oh... I suppose I have yet to introduce myself to you and your husband." He then extended his right hand over towards the wife in greeting. "The name's Erik Leif, ma'am - the other members of this caravan said I could hitch a ride, so long as I keep watch at night."

The wife was surprised. She shook Erik's hand for a brief moment before adding, "My my, a boy as young as you? Who put you up to this? Was it Eustis? Goodness me, the nerve of--"

"Whoa there, easy ma'am," Erik said in a calm tone. "It's no worries at all - I may not look it, but I have experience. I was on my way to Esteri besides, so I didn't mind lending a hand."

The wife did not seem convinced. "Well, my concern stands still - after all, there could be some bandits out and about. At the very least, you shouldn't have to fend them off yourself."

The husband yelled back, chiming in, "Oi, Mary, I keep tellin' ya, those filthy bastards aren't out there - we haven't gotten a single night wit' anything worth even complaining 'bout. Besides, the lad can handle 'imself." The husband spoke in a rough Bortri accent - Bortri being the nationality of those who came to Arbot from the land of Bortria. The husband continued, "He told the lot o' us a couple nights ago about his exploits - he was the one I was tellin you 'bout!"

Mary, the wife, looked back at Erik in further amazement. "Truly?" she said in disbelief. "I would have thought someone so accomplished would be... well, just a bit older."

Erik chuckled. "No worries, ma'am. I get that a lot - you wouldn't be the first. In fact, your husband up there only listened to my stories to humor me initially. It wasn't until--"

"He was tha one who done and finally found that 'sposed treasure in dem there Deep Blue Caves," the husband interrupted. "Y'know, the place that 'sposedly belong to the lost city of Dunbin, the Flooded City."

Mary's face grew pleasantly surprised. "Truly?" she clasped her hands together. "Oh my, I had heard about that - once you had come back out, you were greeted by a historian and a group of adventurers from the Tillman Guild. News of what you found spread across Arbot! Now I know where I've heard your name!"

Erik then somewhat-bashfully rubbed the back of his head with his hand. While he did not mind sharing his exploits to those interested in hearing stories, it was also slightly embarrassing for him to be referred to as though he was some fabled folk hero. Erik's passion for adventuring did not come from wanting to garner glory, but simply for the discovery of it all. While Esteri was still very much a civilized kingdom, Erik believed it was his outsider's perspective as a traveler from Arbot that could prove beneficial to finding new adventures. Simply seeing Esteri with his own eyes was a good enough start.

A few more minutes passed, and the husband stopped the carriage and stood from his seat as he yelled to the rest of the following caravan, "Ladies and gents, we have 'ficially crossed the border into Esteri!" What followed was a roaring collection of cheers.

This is it, Erik said to himself. We've finally made it. I wonder what adventures will await me here!

Then, almost as if on cue, the celebration was cut short by a gruff voice shouting, "Yes, and we are all very happy to welcome our new guests!"

Erik peaked his head out the carriage and saw a group of about ten bandits - Erik had counted six men and four women. The man with the gruff voice continued, "Of course, as I'm sure you are all awares, there is a rather handsome fee for crossing this here border."

Erik furrowed his brow and jumped out the carriage. "Oh, of course - the old toll fee scheme."

The gruff bandit turned to face his gaze towards Erik. "You telling us we have no business collecting payment, boy?"

Erik smirked. "If you have to ask, then you probably already know the answer, don't you?" The gruff bandit was not amused. Erik continued, "Besides, you couldn't even be original about it? I've seen plenty of goons like you in Arbot - I had thought that perhaps maybe the folks here in Esteri would be a little bit more creative."

The gruff bandit snickered. "Oh ho, you want creative, don't you?"

"Mr. Leif, don't!" Mary had shouted from inside the carriage. "Those people will--"

Erik raised his hand and interrupted with, "Don't worry, ma'am - I have this all under control. You all just sit tight and enjoy the show!"

"Indeed," the gruff man said with a grin. He then motioned for some of the others behind him to circle Erik - Erik saw that two of the women, and three of the men had surrounded him, though none of them seemed to be brandishing any obvious weapons. Erik himself was about to, but then decided to fight with his hands, in an effort to show off.

What Erik did not know, however, was that these bandits had something else in mind.

As he was about to speak up, no-doubt about to deliver a glorious speech as he sprung into battle, the gruff man said, "Now, men - GAS HIM!"

Almost immediately, the five who surrounded Erik had turned their backs towards him, and pointed their butts out towards him, all in unison. Erik was visibly off-guard.

"Uhh... what are you--?"

Before Erik could finish his question, he was greeted by a series of unforgiving flatulence from each of the bandits, one after the other.

BRRAAPP...
BRApt!
Braaaaaaaapt!
BRRR-Braaaapp!
BRRR-Brrrrr-Brrrraaa...
BRAAAAAPPHHHTT!
Brp!
Brt!
BRAAAAAPPPHHHTTTTT!!


Startled and taken aback by the sheer amount of gas, Erik quickly covered his nose with both his hands. What the hell?! he thought. They're... farting at me?! Why would anybody use FARTS in a fight?! Then, as if to answer his own question, Erik began to feel a queasy uneasiness as his vision blurred and his legs wobbled, struggling to keep him up. As it turns out, five people's worth of flatulence proved to be too noxious for him.

As the farting continued ceaselessly, Erik found himself collapsed out-cold within the next minute. He had been blacked out. His first day in Esteri was off to a rather foul start.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------- -------------------------------------------------------------------------------- --------------------------------------------

When Erik had come to, he found himself--
Members who added to this interactive
story also contributed to these:

Story Outline   · Recent Additions

© Copyright 2024 Clide (UN: zbclide at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Clide has granted Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work within this interactive story. Poster accepts all responsibility, legal and otherwise, for the content uploaded, submitted to and posted on Writing.Com.
Printed from https://writing.com/main/interactive-story/item_id/2261964-Breakwynd-Journey/cid/3144071-Adventure-Awaits