*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/895566-Id-Be-A-Mountain-Goat
Rated: E · Poetry · Animal · #895566
I wrote this 5 weeks ago at a creative writing course. 1st non-nursing one in 11 years
I am a mountain goat standing proudly erect, outlined on this rocky outcrop.
I am looking down at a line of ant like people who are climbing toward the top
of this mountain. I move sure footedly from crag to crag, then I see him fall.
I watch him bounce, hear his scream, then the others stop, to the edge crawl.
I survey my realm, it is a magnificent view of vivid sky and contrasting snow.
I watch as the others struggle, sliding to reach their fallen team-mate down below.
He has stopped on the edge of the chasm, its cleft split’s the mountain open wide.
I bound down the rock strewn, icy, steep easily, until I stand almost by his side.
He lies in a jumbled heap, this fur hooded , ski-masked invader of my domain.
I sniff the air, I breathe in the stench of death, know he will not climb here again.
I leap away as the others near, climb high until safe on a pinnacle I take my stand.
I feel superior to these mere men as I look out over my isolated, desolate land
Of stark beauty, of ever present dangers that wait for the unsuspecting mountaineer.
But I see that they are frail and human, I’m a mountain goat with nothing to fear!
© Copyright 2004 Ann Ticipation (annticipation at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/895566-Id-Be-A-Mountain-Goat