*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/875315-Torrents--Chapter-1---Revised
Rated: 18+ · Novel · Romance/Love · #875315
Chapter 1 The beggining of the story

Chapter 1



The chirping sounds outside Rachel’s window announced a new day. Without thinking she did what she was accustomed to; she turned to the other side of the bed and reached out for David. But she patted the sheet beside her to find she was alone in bed. A cold chill shot up her spine. This was her new reality: her husband was gone, killed in a head-on collision by a drunk driver, just blocks from home. She would never forget that hot summer night of 1998.

The funeral had been a mere five days ago. It was all still fresh in her mind -- the huge gathering of family and friends, the desperation of Rachel’s twins by her side trying to find strength in the faith they had in resurrection and David’s eulogy brought back heart-warming memories for everyone’s consolation.

As his casket was lowered into the grave plot, Rachel felt being buried with him. Her heart quench with the pain she thought she couldn’t bear. Embraced to her children they draw strength from each other as they threw the flowers in their final good-bye.

After the funeral, the twins had return to college -- back to Jacksonville and Orlando, respectively -- and life had to go on. The rest of the family and friends, mostly from out of town and out of state, regretfully had to go back to work. Only her best friend Melissa was left in Bradenton to support her during these difficult times. She’d have to face life alone in a big house with only Maria, the maid, as a companion.

Rachel dragged herself out of bed, made her way to the bathroom and prepared for another miserable day. As she brushed her hair, she managed a smile at her reflection. She didn’t look thirty-nine. Her straight blonde hair still shone with the glow of youth, and her tanned and trim body could easily be mistaken for one in her mid-twenties. She hurriedly showered and dressed in a sleeveless white shirt and a pair of comfortable khaki pants. She slipped into white sandals on her way to the kitchen where Maria was making breakfast.

Maria turned her from the stove and smiled. “Good morning, Senora. How are you?”
“Better, I guess,” she said pouring herself a cup of coffee.
“You don’t look too good. If you need to talk, you know you can count on me.”
“Thank you, Maria.” Rachel wrapped the stocky old woman in a tender hug. “You are like a mother to me.”

The Mexican Indian lady had been Rachel’s support since the twins were born, now much older, a wrinkled face and a soft voice was supporting her through her loss. Maria gazed at Rachel. “It’s hard to believe that Mr. Presley won’t be storming in here grabbing a quick cup of coffee on his way out to work.”
“I miss him too, Maria.” Rachel’s eyes clouded at the thought.
Maria patted Rachel’s back. “Come, sit in the dining room and I’ll bring you some huevos rancheros.”

After enjoying Maria’s delicious breakfast all alone in at the big table, Rachel went directly to her bedroom. Maria was already there helping her to prepare for her trip.

“Maria, I have to be in Georgia for the closing on the cabin. Please make sure all the items on that list are ready to go,” said Rachel.
“Don’t worry Rachel; I’m almost done,” said Maria folding Rachel’s clothes and putting them into the suitcase.
“Great, I want to leave right away,” said Rachel bringing over a few more things and putting them on her bed next to Maria.
“Are you sure you don’t want me to go?” asked Maria trying to comfort her as usual.
“I really need to be alone.” Rachel responded hugging her.
“If you change your mind, just call. I’ll fly there.” Maria said smiling at her.
“I’ll be fine,” said Rachel with a soft smile.

Maria left the front door open; they were expecting Melissa at any time. She knew she had a load with her. A few seconds later they could hear her soft voice.
“Good morning,” said her best friend. Her full but firm figure walked through her bedroom door, her hands full.
“Here are the books you wanted, Rachel,” said Melissa putting the books on the bed. “I hope I got them all.”
“Thank you, Mel,” said Rachel opening her arms to her, I wasn’t sure if you got my message on time.
“Of course I did, and I couldn’t let you leave without saying good-bye,” said Melissa hugging her. “Promise me you’ll call.” Melissa’s big brown eyes were full of tears.
“I promise. This will be good for me, you’ll see,” said Rachel wiping away her tears and moving her wavy hair away from her forehead.
It wasn’t easy to leave familiar surroundings and the people who supported her the most but mourning was something she had to do alone.

Rachel stepped in the very last dream that David made a reality for her, just a week before his death. They intended to share their time together in that cabin, during vacations and holidays, but instead she stood there alone, holding a box full of memories. One by one she took the items out and spread them around the furnished cabin. Some pictures here, a throw blanket there and in her room her favorite books and journal. She needed isolation in order to get herself together after her loss and this place would be the perfect retreat location for her.

She walked the property daily. In the lands gently rolling hills, gurgling stream and dark hidden caves, she found distraction.
She breathed in the fresh mountain air and looked around.

This is a beautiful place, she thought, it would certainly need more native plants to create a natural look.

She took her camera and took some pictures of the land and after processing them, she took them to the nursery.

“This is the place, some areas are sunny and some shady, I’ll need something that would be easy to keep up with and that would blend in with what’s already there,” she said to the attendant.
“I think we have just what you need,” he said guiding her towards the back of the nursery.
Two hours later and loaded with all the plants and information she was given, she put herself to work. As long as she did there was not a worry in her mind.
“I can’t believe I’ve done all this in one day,” she said wiping the sweat from her brows and contemplating the bed she made right in front of her cabin. “I better call it the night.”
The tranquility of the cabin and the sounds of the animals outside soothe her senses and relaxing with a simple dinner and a glass of sweet iced tea.
Sitting at her computer she scanned the e-mails and started answering them.

Dear Mel,
The weather in Georgia is just perfect. Not only I have good temperature but nature wraps me into its richness and comforts my soul. It’s a little too quiet here but I have plenty of time that way to be with myself and get in touch with all those emotions that were filling up my heart.
I started planting around the cabin and just to dig in my hands in the rich soil energizes me in a way I almost forgot. I used to do this a lot, especially when David and I built our home and I started to establish the different gardens around it. Now it’s just a matter or maintaining them but the real joy is to visualize it and then create them.
I’m not sure when I would return, but I hope you’re doing fine. I’ll keep in touch.
Take care my friend,
Rachel

She hit the send button and decided to clean the kitchen and go upstairs to her room to do her reading and journal writing that had kept her busy during the weeks she spent there.

Time flew by and before she knew it John Paul and Tiffany were at her door to spend Labor Day weekend with her.

“I’m so glad you’re here,” said Rachel embracing them.
“This is an awesome place mom!” said John Paul looking around the rustic setting.
“I love it,” said Tiffany.
“I’m glad, this is your place,” she said helping them with their bags inside.

As soon as they walked in the brought life to the place. Their presence overjoyed Rachel as she got busy trying to make them feel comfortable and showing them the place. As usual they all end up in the kitchen.

“What are we having for dinner mom?” asked John Paul.
“Well, I have all your favorites so you tell me what you feel like tonight,” said Rachel.
John Paul smiled, “How about your delicious lasagna.”
“The next dish I’ll pick it,” said Tiffany.
“Go ahead and get the meat out of fridge, while Tiffany and I get the rest of the ingredients from the pantry,” said Rachel.

The sounds of the pots, the warm of the oven, the stirring of the homemade sauce all lingered in the air and Rachel had a shot of life infused into her. To be alone what important to her but to be with her children even more necessary not to forget that her life had a purpose and meaning because of them.

“Don’t wet me, you little creep!” yelled Tiffany to John Paul.
“What do you expect? To stay dry in this creek?” he asked splashing more water to her as she stood at the edge of it. “Come on, don’t be so chicken.”
Tiffany looked at her mom who stood not far from her and she winked at her, “Go on, have fun,” said Rachel.
“Mom, but he is a savage,” said Tiffany.
“I promise to be good,” said John Paul with a childish look in his face.

Reluctantly Tiffany went in and as soon as she did John Paul went for her to play. They looked like little kids, for a few days they forgot they were college students and regressed to their childhood; nurtured and cared by their mother, something they missed while living in campus. Rachel was pleased with the way they turned out. There was a certain pride in her gaze as she watched them together; they were the treasure that David left behind for her to enjoy.

At the end of the week, it was hard for them to leave after spending such memorable time with their mother. It was even harder for her to see them leave.

“I’ll see you soon sweethearts,” said Rachel with her eyes full of tears, “Drive safe.” She said blessing them by doing the sign of the cross on their foreheads.
“Yes, mom,” said Tiffany hugging her tight.
“We’ll call as soon as we get to the dorm,” reassured John Paul.

As soon as they disappear on the drive way, coming back inside the cabin felt cold and desolate one more time. She looked around the quiet and empty place and went directly upstairs, to her room. She looked at he nightstand, her pink journal lay there. She opened it up.

June 15, 1998
I’ve spend so much time at the museum of fine arts helping with the fundraising events that it has awaken in me a love for all that expresses beauty. To be surrounded by such magnificent work of art and to be able to bring more from around the world seem like a worthy cause and a way to contribute to society. I’ve discussed with David the possibility to purse a major in arts and he supports me, so I went to check on it and register for the fall term. At this point I can only do it part time while doing the same with my law firm. I’ll limit the cases I take in order to get this done in a reasonable amount of time. I’m so happy!

The words hit her like a lightning bolt. It was like a sign from heaven and a new enthusiasm for life. To continue her studies was her next step.
Rachel picked up the phone, “Maria,” she said smiling “I’m coming home!”
“That’s great!”
“I’ll be on my way tomorrow.”
“We’ll be here waiting for you darling,” she said in her usual loving tone.
She quickly packed that evening. Life had to go on.

Morning came and she found herself locking the front door of the place she felt was her refuge. Her trip back home was just beginning.
Nine hours later she pulled into her driveway. She gathered her belongings and started up the drive slowly, her bags weighing her down. As she fumbled with her keys the door swung open and Melissa stood there grinning.

“Welcome home!” said Melissa as she hugged her.

Melissa’s colorful long cotton dress resembled those from formal African ceremonies, something she cherished from her heritage. Rachel was so happy to see her dear friend again; she had been like a sister to her and a moral support during difficult times.

“Thank you. How long have you been here?” asked Rachel walking into her home.
“Since yesterday, I wanted to wait for you. I missed you so much.”
“I missed you too,” she paused “You look great,” said Rachel as she looked at Melissa’s ebony hair.
“So do you…”
“I’m ready to go on with my life,” said Rachel, her body erected, her gaze clear and her voice confident.
“I’m so glad to hear that,” said Melissa happy to see her friend in better spirits.
“Let’s go out and see the garden,” said Rachel as she put her arm around Melissa’s shoulders.

Rachel could always count on nature to remind her that there is a higher power. All the beautiful things, created by God, for mankind’s enjoyment help her to stay grounded.

“So tell me, what you are planning to do next?” asked Melissa.
“I’ll take a small amount of cases in the office and continue my studies in Fine Arts in order to obtain my degree,” said Rachel with a smile.
“It’s a drastic change from your law practice. It never occurred to me that you would like to become a curator.”
“I enjoy what I do, but I’m looking forward to begin a new venture,” said Rachel smiling, “You know how much time I spend at the museum and how I like to help at the fundraising events.”
“Yes, but that is one thing and another to become a curator. Anyway, if you love it, that’s what you should do,” said Melissa smiling.
“Would you stay with me tonight? I want to spend time with you,” asked Rachel holding her friend’s hand.
“Sure,” said Melissa patting her hand.

They spent the night chatting about what went on in Georgia and all of her plans for the future, a future that in many ways was uncertain, but that she would trace as much as she could as she went along the way.

© Copyright 2004 Amanda Sanz (eaglewings at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/875315-Torrents--Chapter-1---Revised