*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/871862-Hidden-Fire--Section-9
Rated: 18+ · Chapter · Fantasy · #871862
the mage council...
A sharp rap on her door woke Misty. As she uncurled from her warm nest of blankets, the chill air quickly cleared the sleepiness from her mind.

"Come in!" She winced as her feet hit the icy floor.

Lani entered, bearing a breakfast tray. "I've brought you a little hot oatmeal for breakfast and a mug of fresh milk."

Misty took the tray, but set it aside, her stomach knotted with worry. "Lani, do you know where they sent the rest of the folk from the Keep? I have to talk to my friend's mother, Nan."

"They've put them in a camp alongside the walls, a bit removed from the main gates, but if you leave now, guards at the gate would never let you back in. Can't it wait? You'll be sent there soon enough after the council is over."

"I guess it will have to wait." Her shoulders slumped in disappointment.

"If you need anything else, just let me know, miss." Lani bustled out the door.

Misty bowed her head as a shudder of grief passed through her. Poor Nan must be beside herself with worry, but Lady Halleigh required her presence at the council. Besides, perhaps she would have better news for Nan if she waited. Maybe the mages would have a way to save Kris--some kind of cure for whatever had possessed her. Perhaps Lady Halleigh would agree to bargain for help for Kris?

Misty shoved aside her uneaten breakfast and flew across the hall to her ladyship's room and burst in without knocking.

Lady Halleigh looked up from her breakfast in surprise. "What is it, child?"

"My friend Kris! I know that you paid the mages to help save the Keep, but please, could you ask them to save Kris, as well?"

Stumbling over her words in her haste, Misty described the strange possession of her friend, carefully omitting the bits of magic that she had done herself. "Surely the mages can save her?"

Lady Halleigh's eyes widened at Misty's tale. "I shall ask. There is something horrible afoot here. If the Archmage's warnings are correct, what you saw was the Scourge. It is an undead creature that the Gorangans worship as a god. It was thought to be destroyed long ago in the Mage Wars, but its remains were never found. It is rumored that the Gorangan priests have made many blood sacrifices over the past two centuries hoping to revive their lost god."

"But what happened to Kris? What did it do to her? It seemed to collapse into dust, and then its horrible fire eyes were--were inside her head!"

"Legend says it survives by devouring the life force of its host body. I am afraid that if the mages do not help her soon, she will be lost to us. Human life force cannot sustain that terrible power for long. If she lasts a year, she will be lucky. I am sorry, my dear."

The words fell on Misty like blows. "No! That can't happen! She can't die!" Tears poured down her face. She sank to the floor, holding herself and rocking with misery. Harsh, sharp words broke through her hysteria.

"You must remember that there is more than one life at stake here! I need you to be calm and supportive in the council. There is no room for hysterical childish outbursts! It is time for you to grow up and do your duty by all our people. Can you do this? If you cannot, you will be more hindrance than help. Tell me now so I can send you to the refugee camp with the other children. But I hope you are ready to behave as a woman grown!"

Misty tears choked to halt and her temper flared as her pride was stung. "I am not a child! I said I would support you and I will!"

"Nor do I need a hot-tempered churl at my side!" Lady Halleigh admonished crisply.

She straightened and stood calm, determined to prove she could do her duty, thinking of the Kai and all the soldiers depending on them. "I can do this, Milady. Please forgive my loss of control. It shall not happen again."

Lady Halleigh remained silent for a moment and Misty squirmed beneath her hard scrutiny. "Yes, I believe you can. Go and ready yourself. Return to me when you have dressed, and we will go sound out the attitudes of the Mages. Surely not all will be as hostile as Aroostook."

Misty crossed back to her room. She washed her tear-streaked face in the cold water in the washstand, then pulled on her new brown work gown. As she slipped it over her head, she wondered what Kai was doing, and if he thought of her at all. If all went well she would see him again soon. She swore she would save the red dress for that day, and wear it just for him.

She ran the silver brush through her hair, working it through the tangled thick masses until they were manageable enough that she could begin to twist it into a neat bun.

"The council summons you... You- you're a halfblood!" burst Lani's voice from the doorway behind her.

Misty spun around, hands going swiftly to cover her ears as she saw Lani and beside her, Lady Halleigh, eyebrows raised high in shocked surprise. She dropped her hands to her side and felt her face go hot with embarrassment.

"My family made me hide my blood. My mother's shameless behavior was bad enough, without the world knowing she'd given birth to a magical freak as well as a bastard." She dropped her eyes to the floor as her entire face burned with shame.

"Well, this explains a great deal and may be quite fortuitous as well." Lady Halleigh crossed the room and gently place her finger under Misty's chin, raising her face. "Allow your ears to show proudly, child. In Tiassa, they may have been a brand of shame, but here in the Citadel, they might just gain us poor petitioners a measure of respect and the attention of the council."

Lani nodded. "I should have guessed you were one of us from your eyes. But I have not met many humans and did not realize you were so different! Lady Halleigh is right, though. Most council members will ignore anything a human says, but a halfblood they might listen to. I don't suppose you are powerful? Then they'd really sit up and take notice!"

Misty shook her head. "I've only been able to do a few small tricks, but even then, I get terribly ill. Lighting candles, turning invisible-"

"Oh, you are just a weak air element, like me." Lani interrupted. "That won't help you much. Almost all the halfies of the Citadel have a weak touch of air talent. Although better to be a weak halfie, than a strong, if you are a girl. Strong ones end up as concubines to the mages." She shuddered in revulsion.

"Why concubines? They seem so disdainful of humans. Why would they associate with any female containing our blood?" Lady Halleigh's eyes narrowed thoughtfully.

"The fullbloods are so few that they need to use us to try to breed more mages. Nearly all the them are so closely related that babes are being born damaged in mind and body. So they pick the halfie girls with the strongest mage elements, and pamper them and turn them into stuck-up little breeders." Lani sniffed in disdain. "They think laying on their backs and spreading their legs for the mages makes them so much better than a girl who does honest labor."

"Are there enough mages to help Tiassa then? Is this just a fool's quest?"

"They could help, if they want to, but without Kai here, I don't know if they will bother. But we must head to the council chamber! You've both been summoned. Apparently more humans are coming through the portal."

"Has Kai come though?" Misty felt a curious lift in her heart at the thought of seeing him again.

"No, if only that were true! But it's only more humans. Men this time. We are escorting hundreds of them outside the walls, and the men are angry. Several fullbloods have had to use their powers to keep them under control. The Council is in an uproar." Lani explained as she led them down through the servant's passages and back out to the gilded main hall. At the end of the hall, two large golden doors were standing ajar. Lani led them toward the doors.

Misty could hear angry shouting echoing down the hall. She glanced over uneasily at Lady Halleigh, wondering exactly what they were about to walk into.

Inside the room she saw twenty full blood mages, faces full of fear and anger, sitting around an ornately carved and gilded table. Aroostook lounged in a tall throne-like chair at its head, hands folded across his chest, and a sly smile on his face.

"We must close them!" One wizened old mage jumped to his feet, waving his hands wildly.

"No, don't be a fool, Pelagius! We must retrieve our Archmage. It should be a fairly simple matter to pass through the portals and bear him to safety. Then we can close the gates." A silver-haired female answered him.

"No, Ashareh! I say close them now! The next batch to come through could murder us! That foolish halfie's plans will kill us all yet!" Most of the mages in the room murmured in agreement.

"I still believe we need his strength to defend ourselves." Ashareh shook her head sadly as only a few heads nodded in agreement with her. "But it appears I am in the minority on this."

Suddenly Misty realized what they were discussing. She ran forward and slammed her hands down on the table. "You can't close the portal! Kai, Kris, all those left on the other side--they would all be killed! How can you even think of doing something so horrible!" Her angry shout echoed through the suddenly silent room.

"Ah, it is the rude child, interrupting her betters again." Aroostook's voice oozed with condescension. "And why shouldn't we close the portal, child? If it remains open, the Gorangans need only seize our Archmage and they will have an entrance right into the very heart of our citadel!" Aroostook added, slyly, "Our Archmage has abandoned us to fend for ourselves, while he chases after some foolish, imaginary threat. Why should we care for him?"

Lady Halleigh stepped forward to stand beside Misty. "Far from abandoning you, your Archmage has worked tirelessly to build an alliance to protect you! He know that you are few, and weakened. He wisely looks to find aid for your people--to have us humans fight the physical threats against you, while you conserve your power to hold off the magical ones. He knows that without both peoples working together, we all will fall!"

"Since when do mages need the assistance of weak, short-lived beasts to help fight off other beasts? Our walls have never been breached. We need only seal ourselves within them for perhaps a few decades, until you short-lived ones have settled back into peace again." He rose and gestured and a tall, gaunt halfblood stepped forward, carrying a plain black box. "However, if we allow our gates to remain open, we run the risk of the enemy attacking us from within." He turned back to the table. "My fellow council members, I believe it is time for a vote! Choose black to close the gates and remain safe inside, or white to leave them open and risk all of our lives to save our foolish Archmage."

The tall halfblood paced around the table bearing the box, pausing briefly while each councilor dropped in his ballot. When he reach Aroostook, he took the box and upended it on the table. Only three flecks of white shone amongst the sea of black ballots spread across the table.

"The Council has decided. The Gates shall be closed until the conflict has passed."

Misty ran forward and grabbed Aroostook's arm. "No, you must listen! There is more! Kai-Archmage Kaimana's threat--it really exists! The Scourge has returned. It took my friend Kris and walks in her body!"

Aroostook pulled out of her grasp. "The Scourge is nothing more than a legend used to scare small children into behaving." He rolled his eyes and laughed. "Ah, yes, I can see that you have been around our Kaimana and his obsession has rubbed off on you!"

"No, it is true. Please you must help her!" Again Misty told her story. At her words the worried muttering in the council rose again.

"I am afraid, I am not quite convinced. A young child, exhausted, frightened out her wits, might imagine all sorts of things. However, if your tale is true, then there is all the more reason to close the portals. The Scourge could seize our Archmage and use him to pass through them to walk our very halls and destroy us all! Ashareh, Leland, Pelagius, go get Draxus from the library and then go immediately to the gate chamber. Seal the portal quickly with Earth, Air, Fire, and Water. With all four elements sealing the gate, even if this... Scourge... possesses Kaimana and taps into his three sources, he will not be able to break through. Council is now adjourned."

The mages left the chamber, walking past the two petitioners as if they were invisible. Misty walked back to Lady Halleigh's side. She saw a single tear trickle down Her Ladyship's cold, calm face. "Come child, there is nothing more we can do here." She turned to leave. Aroostook barred her way.

"Yes, woman, my guards will escort you to the gates. I will have your things sent to you there. I give you and your people two months. During that time, we will provide you with food, shelter, and necessities in exchange for the generous tithe you gave. At the end of that time, you will all be gone, or we will remove you. Is that understood?"

"Yes, I undertand you completely. Shall I call you Archmage now? Or is it still Lord, until you receive official word of his death? A small sacrifice of a few hundred humans is a small price to pay to become Archmage, is it not?"

"You may address me as Archmage, and yes, that is a very small price." A smug smile spread across his face, and Misty felt fury rise in her blood at the sight. "A halfblood should never have been chosen as Archmage. Guards, take her to the human camp."

Misty moved to follow, but Aroostook gripped her arm. "Not you, girl, you are one of my people. You will remain in the Citadel. Lani will show you to your room until you can be tested." He pulled her closer, looking down into her eyes as he stroked her eartip in a horrible parody of Kai's sweet touch. "I find myself hoping you test well. You are surprisingly lovely when you are cleaned up properly."

"What make you think I would ever join your people? You all can go rot for all I care!" She yanked away and tried to run to Lady Halleigh, only to be paralyzed as the air around her thickened into a solid mass. As she struggled to draw breathe, she watched helplessly as Lady Halleigh was escorted out the doors.

"Understand this now, little halfblood. Your wishes mean nothing to me. Our blood is in your veins. You will remain here and serve us as all the halfbloods do. If you do not obey, you will be punished. Discipline was far too lax under Kaimana's soft rule. That has ended. I am the Archmage now, as I should have been from the first! And I will be obeyed."

A cold chill crept down Misty's spine at his words. He turned and gestured to Lani, who had been hovering in the doorway. "You, girl, take her to her room. See that she is sealed within it until her testing."

As he strode from the room, the air about Misty softened and she leaned on the table, gasping for air.

Lani took her arm and supported her gently out of the room. "I'm sorry, Misty. You cannot fight them. It's best to not even try. You will learn. We all will suffer now that Kaimana is lost to us."

Misty remained silent the whole way back to her room. The door was closed in her face, and when she tried, it would not open. She felt the fury bubble up in her, and thought of burning the door, no, burning the whole Citadel to the ground. If Kai died, Aroostook would pay, she swore, but first, she had to find a way to save Kris. She sank down on the window ledge and looked broodingly out over the valley, biding her time.

























© Copyright 2004 Midnight Dawn (abookluvr at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/871862-Hidden-Fire--Section-9