*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/595587-The-Metal-Seraphic
Rated: E · Short Story · Fantasy · #595587
For stories.com competition.Ends fast but will be made bigger in a novella form later.
Prompt: "You receive a telephone call from someone special. Now write a story or poem about your feelings AFTER you place the receiver back in the cradle.

(The prompt is essential in all of the WritersCramp stories because then it's very hard to understand)

Here's the story:


Jouki! It was the one thing I yearned to shout out, to exorcise truly once and for all from my heart, yet it was the first thing that I wanted to keep secret most of all, the one thing I wanted to forget all about and yet couldn't let go of, the one thing that made me whole.

The signal reached my phone at midnight last night. My blood pounded like any other wine drunken night as I'd wasted away my life in anticipation of the one thing that could bring life back to me, to give me a second chance.

I picked up the phone in one hand whilst frantically brushing hair out of my ear with the other. At last! The words that I had been practicing in my mind just for this very day, the phrase that I seemed to know for my whole life, reverberated faster and louder then ever in my mind as if to remind me that to forget to shout those very words meant I'd never have another chance.

But the words never escaped from my throat, the air from my lungs had no better luck either. In a way my mind gloated in glee that he would be leaving soon, for if he stayed any longer he'd wrap firmly around my heart, never letting go. Or maybe it'd be the other way around?

But no matter how much I buried the truth from myself, no matter how much I smiled and laughed like nothing had ever happened, he was always there in my heart, surfacing at any time he wished.

I started to dream. The day I would never forget played itself once again through the chambers of my brain.

I was making my usual daily trips to the rubbish bin at the back of my local 'Electronic Deli'.

Just as I'd with great merriment emptied a bag of rubbish I was carrying into the bin, a bright blue light of a transwarp blinded me. I'd heard of these transwarp things on the news, but I never believed that they were true, I mean, portals to and from a scientific futuristic world and ours, it was the sort of stuff you'd expect to read in a comic.

My impudent prejudice towards anything that was scientifically advanced was wiped clear from my conscious as I stood utterly helpless and mesmerised by the transwarp taking place. Four mordant, black dressed men I believed to be the equivalent of the KGB from the other world appeared.

One of them held out the palm of his hand in front of my face. A mysterious glowing stone of some sort was ghastly lodged deep into his hand. "I'm afraid, young girl, that you were unlucky to be in the wrong place at the wrong time!" he silently taunted. I quivered in silent fear.

Then he came. His transwarp was different, a warm whitish yellowy colour that soothed my soul, which pushed away the fear hidden in even the most remotest places of my soul. I watched in curiosity as the warp opened.

Then he stepped out. The Metal Seraphic stepped out in front of me and stared at me. His gaze punctured through my inquisitive eyes to find a spot in my heart, a spot which even god could not take away from me. Upon close inspection he was everything that he was not, if there was such a thing even.

"Are you alright?" he courteously proposed the question to me. My breath stopped.

"Ah, ah," was all that I could pathetically drone out of my confused mind.

"Not for long, child, and you too Seraphic, you made a bad mistake coming here!" I heard one of the other subfusc man state.

"What's a Seraphic?" The question came quick from my mind, once again I suddenly had the feeling that my intellectual abilities ranked last out of the band of mysterious people that had just sprung out in front of me.

"All will be explained soon, child." The Seraphic's tone was calm and soothing, and I found myself fighting the sleepy blissful feeling that was growing in my heart.

I woke up to reality as the Seraphic raised his hand, and just like the rest of the men encompassing me he had a similar stone lodged in the palm of his hand. But his stone was different, it was a beautiful stone that any girl would treasure given the chance. Not only was his stone different, but also weird symbols were printed around it.

"A Zantu Seraphic!!!!" A cold shout of surprise shot through the peaceful rubbish/parking lot.

The anonymous man was joined by similar expressions of surprise and fear. Finally what appeared to be their leader shouted, "We can take him, we'll wipe the whole damn lot of these Seraphics from the face of the universe!"

I watched on inquisitively. My head cocked backwards to rest against the cold wall I'd taken refuge next to during the ordeal as what appeared to be my only saviour turned his hand towards me!

"Don't be afraid." I sank deeper into fear; after all he was pointing a weapon of some sort at my face. "Zansas!!!!!!" his mouth moved to convey his words.

A flash of some sort surrounded me in which seemed to be a barrier of some sort. He raised his other hand to face my would-be murderers, an exact replica of his other hand.

I awoke from the dream, tears freely cascaded down my now wrinkled cheeks. I sobbed; I didn't want him to go!

I suddenly remembered the call. I have to go now Lilly! I must return to Gwendular, I have only enough power to transport myself from here straight back to Gwendular.

My thoughts were cut off; I could sense my saviour travelling further and further away from my presence, my saviour, the metal seraphic, Jouki.
© Copyright 2002 WarrenToh (warren at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/595587-The-Metal-Seraphic