*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/2329042-We-All-Go-A-Little-Mad-Sometimes
Printer Friendly Page Tell A Friend
No ratings.
by D.B.
Rated: E · Fiction · Fantasy · #2329042
Entry for the "13" writing activity
Herbert didn't particularly like working at the lab. And he especially didn't like his boss, Mr.Morton. The hours at the lab were long and tedious and Herbert wasn't sure if he wanted to keep this job. But of course it would mean throwing years of expensive schooling away and disappointing his hard-working parents, who seemed to be so proud of him.

But in his heart of hearts, he began to realize what he really wanted to do was be a yoga instructor and an artist. He had been practicing yoga for years and had taken many classes. And he enjoyed doing his artwork on the weekends, so much so that he could paint for hours and not want to leave his house, much to the dismay of his girlfriend Fiona.
Fiona loved that Herbert was a scientist and she couldn't wait for them to be married. She was a manicurist and
Herbert thought that was cool and creative and she excelled at it, making good money in her own right with her skills.
But she was planning to give that up when she married Herbert, and immediately get to work on popping out his perfect children after they wed and giving up her job to be a successful scientist's wife.
Whenever he even started to suggest changing his career, Fiona did not want to talk about it. She wanted her pie in the sky plan.
Herbert was beginning to doubt their relationship, but he felt terribly torn about everything.

That day at work had been particularly difficult and Mr. Morton had been in a particularly bad mood. He was also talking about a special delivery that was late. He went to lunch and informed Herbert to be on the lookout for his special package.
Luckily, the delivery man arrived right after Mr. Morton left. The box said fragile and Morton was tempted to open it because there was something about it that seemed unusual. For one thing on the top of the box it said: "Beverage Experiment"
For another, Mr. Morton seemed really antsy about getting it.
An hour passed and Herbert could not resist his curiosity any longer. He ripped open the box, and in it there were different colored vials; the instructions said they all did the same thing ( but mysteriously did not say what they were supposed to do) and some were placebos.

Mr. Morton still had not returned after a few more minutes and Herbert could not stand the suspense any longer. He drank one of the vials. a blue-colored one. It had a pleasant fruity taste which went down easy but then he had a moment of sheer panic wondering what he had just done.

Suddenly an artist easel with paints and a canvas appeared before him. He looked down in shock as his lab uniform morphed into yoga workout clothes.
Mr. Morton then returned, noticing that Herbert had drank one of the potions.
"My boy", he said smiling, "I knew you could not resist. That formula reveals your fondest dreams and truth. Thank God you did not drink the placebo." "I knew you really weren't happy here, so this is the push you needed."
"We all go a little mad sometimes, and I've had this crazy idea about concocting a magical truth serum. Luckily a scientist friend was working on the formula too and got it right so he agreed to send me some."

And so, Herbert worked at the lab until he felt secure enough to chase his dreams and moved to Hawaii where he lived happily as a yoga instructor and artist who painted many breathtaking landscapes. He and Fiona broke up, and his parents scowled but it was his life and he wanted to be happy.
Mr. Morton 's scientist friend became famous for his concoction, and so did Mr. Morton, as he created his own vials that did other magical things.




© Copyright 2024 D.B. (fishbone at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/2329042-We-All-Go-A-Little-Mad-Sometimes