*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/2328969-A-typical-sunset-on-Ganymede
Printer Friendly Page Tell A Friend
No ratings.
Rated: 13+ · Short Story · Sci-fi · #2328969
October Nano Prep Day 19 CONTEST ROUND: Setting Description
Steve piloted his hover car above the surface of Ganymede in the year 3,333,333,332 A.D. The entire surface of the Jovian moon was one huge city. It was sunset, and the atmosphere was flooded with pinkish and violet colors in the sky. The gravity plating covering the surface kept the atmosphere contained, so it didn’t get released into space.

Steve landed on a roof of a parking garage and got out of his vehicle. The gull wing door swung vertically upward, and he stepped out to observe the sunset. The air smelled clean. He could see Jupiter in the distance. It had been reduced in size so that it was about the same mass as Earth. This was because hydrogen had been siphoned from the Jovian atmosphere over the course of thousands of millennia to be used as fuel, or for nuclear fusion reactors.

Most of the people on Ganymede traveled by train. They criss-crossed the surface going north to south and vice versa, and east to west and vice versa. Artificial gravity gave the moon the same gravity as Earth, where people no longer lived because the Sun had gotten too hot. Occasionally a hover car cruised overhead to some unknown destination.

Steve could see places where plants were grown, under artificial lighting. They were housed in containment structures where every edible plant was grown for the benefit of humanity. This was definitely an interesting era in human history!
© Copyright 2024 Riverd0g (samuelorona at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/2328969-A-typical-sunset-on-Ganymede