*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/2328126-Graduation-from-Mars-Tech
Rated: 18+ · Short Story · Sci-fi · #2328126
October 2024 Nano Prep Week 1: Protagonist Background Story
In the year 2096, 25 year old Steve Corona had just graduated from Mars Tech University with a Masters degree in electrical engineering. He and his mother, his sister Dianna and his nephew Shai traveled by interplanetary shuttle to the rings of Saturn, to watch a Saturn sunrise. There was a space station within the rings of Saturn where graduates were known to congregate after graduation.

From the window of the space station they could see the rings of Saturn vertically stretching over the horizon, with the sun behind them, and the planet Saturn below them. The quartet made small talk at a table where they had a good view of Saturn’s rings. There were other groups of people at other tables, mostly college graduates who were there to celebrate.

A group of space pirates burst into the room with plasma rifles. They shouted, and Steve ran toward the main wall of the room and tackled one of them, and took away his weapon. He fired at one of the pirates, wounding him on the thigh, where a wound opened up from the electrostatic field destabilizing and releasing the plasma.

There were three pirates, and one of them fired at Steve, but he was able to dodge and avoid getting hit. He fired at the pirate who shot at him, and he was also wounded in the thigh, just as the other pirate had been.

Security guards rushed in, and apprehended the pirates, it in the process, they mistakenly thought Steve was one of them and arrested him, also. Steve was initially charged with a crime, but with an automated court system, he was quickly exonerated and released later that afternoon.

When he returned to meet his family, they were thrilled that he had done something so heroic. His nephew Shai was extremely proud of his brave uncle, and their family had something to talk about for years to come.

The End

© Copyright 2024 Riverd0g (samuelorona at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/2328126-Graduation-from-Mars-Tech