*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/2327946-PREP-2024
Printer Friendly Page Tell A Friend
No ratings.
by Espero
Rated: E · Assignment · Biographical · #2327946
Prep 2024: October Novel Prep Challenge
CALENDAR

October 1

Who started characters:These are ancestors of mine (embellished with fiction). The main character, William Webster, came to this country from Scotland. He was a Quaker and there is a very detailed book of Quaker records that he and his family are mentioned in. I would like to re-create this family in story form from the 1600's in Plainfield, New Jersey, to present day Wisconsin.

What happens to them?They were part of the Revolutionary and Civil War. Likely to have encountered George Washington and his troops as recorded in Quaker records. Had goods confiscated, church occupied and were harassed. You see, Quakers did not believe in fighting. Later, as the family grew, they started a well-documented Underground Railroad to help slaves, were prominent in building historical markers and went to war once they abandoned their Quaker beliefs. Some went to Alaska to build the major highway there.

Why is it a problem?As with any family, there were conflicts and problems so of which were leaving the Quaker faith. Standing up for their beliefs. Surviving the depression. Fighting for our country.

October 2
Where & when does your story take place? It starts in 1685 when William Webster sailed from Scotland (to escape Quaker persecution) and landed in Plainfield, New Jersey.

Who are your main characters? Protagonists? William Webster, the Quaker. His flaws could be viewed by some (ie: revolutionary soldiers) as a man who would not fight for his country as it was against the Quaker beliefs. His goals were to live in harmony after fleeing Scotland and religious persecution.

Conflicts: What's keeping them from their goals?After fleeing Scotland and religious persecution they find themself embroiled in conflict with the soldiers as they are once again persecuted as non-fighting men due to their Quaker beliefs. He was educated with basic reading and writing skills but Quakers were protected fromm outside influences. They were highly educated in the Quaker way of life.

Who or what is creating the conflicts?The Revolutionary War and the soldiers who do not understand why the Quakers will not fight for their county and constantly harass them.

October 3
Draft a Profile of Protagonist
William Webster was a young physically fit 25-year-old man when he arrived in New Jersey from Scotland although the ship voyage had taken some of the vitality out of him.
He had shoulder length straight black hair and piercing blue eyes. He was a handsome man with an oval shaped face, full lips and a stately nose. William stood about 5' 9" tall and had a slim build in his younger years.
All of these practices made William the person that he became.
It was not unusual for a Quaker man to cry like a woman in distress.
Husband and wife were viewed a equals and women were allowed to practice ministry; in some cases, even leaving children behind to do so. In other cases, single women even traveled abroad to practice ministry.
Couples were allowed to choose their own spouse, but it must be within the meeting house and approved by the parents and the meeting house itself as well in order to marry. Both partners were expected to care for the children.
If marrying outside of the meeting house they could be disowned, even if it were a Quaker. They were still allowed to worship with the Friends and with repentance could regain membership.
When a widow was re-wed, the children from the previous marriage were entitled to due inheritance.
No man performed vows, but the man and woman rose and affirmed their commitment before God. A certificate was then signed witnessing that the Marriage had taken place.
If conflict existed between a couple, the Elders would intercept. Drunkenness or bankruptcy could lead a member to disown a spouse.
Simplicity - Honor - Order was practiced.
Card playing, dancing, and liquor were forbidden.
Anger was repressed by teaching that the member needed a 'cooling off period' before things got 'out of hand'. There was an emphasis on humility and pacifism. Earthly love was not to supersede the love of God. The motto was 'teach by example' and children were made to adhere to strict obedience, help on work and farm, realize that it was for the good of the group and not a personal preference for the group must always come first.
Women were responsible for making products and selling them.
Some schools were created where the children would board away from home to learn a certain skill.
The emphasis was always on family helping family. The young helping the old and sickly.
Singleness was not discouraged because it gave the individual the opportunity to travel and provide ministry.




© Copyright 2024 Espero (espero at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/2327946-PREP-2024