*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/2327893-What-The-Owl-Knew
Printer Friendly Page Tell A Friend
No ratings.
by Espero
Rated: E · Fiction · Dark · #2327893
A secret lies deep within the forest. Will it be revealed?
It was a windy fall day, leaves crunched under Fanny's feet. The breeze whipped her long black hair as she made her way along the rugged path leading to the lighthouse perched atop the nearby cliff.

The heavy iron door screeched as she struggled to open it; then she entered the building and left it ajar. Catching her breath, she looked up at the tall, impressive structure and slowly made her way up the spiral staircase. The steps were slippery, her knuckles were white from gripping the handrails along the way. Finally, she reached the door to the outside catwalk and gingerly opened it so as not to fall down the stairs. Overhead, she saw a line of bats hanging at the top of the lantern room, but she knew they were stationary this time of day.

Fanny scanned the sea, hoping to see her finance's fishing ship on the horizon but saw nothing but the frothy waves pounding the rocky shore. Oh, where was he, this man of hers? When would he return?

A crafty raven dove from a nest high on top of the lighthouse. He carried a shiny object in its claws but as he flew, the object slipped and dropped down into the path below.

Heaving a sigh of despair, Fanny turned around to glance at the dense black forest. Even from here, the whisper of branches and leaves serenading the forest creatures felt eerie. Daring to look, for she knew it would be there, she automatically scanned the tall forbidding pine tree. Yes, there he sat, as usual; The Great Horned Owl with his sharp beak and huge black eyes that appeared to be staring right through her. His entire demeanor suggested he knew something she didn't, something sinister. She felt he portrayed himself as Watcher of the Forest. Didn't he have better things to do than endlessly sit there? Then again, maybe that's what Owls do.

Hearing a gurgle from above, she glanced up as the Raven swooped down, croaking and flapping its wings. It landed on the iron railing and sat there staring at her, emitting a chirp every few minutes. Transfixed, she stared at its beady eyes, then shivered, opened the door, and carefully made her way back down the staircase, feeling that she had overstayed her welcome. Humm, she thought, the birds in this forest are very creepy. Feeling disappointed that the ship was still nowhere in sight she would reluctantly return again tomorrow.

Safely at the bottom, she exited the lighthouse, then grabbed the iron door and struggled until it finally slammed shut with a bang making her jump as the sound echoed throughout the area. Looking down, she noticed something shiny on the path and bent to pick it up. She screamed as a mouse ran past and disappeared into a hole in the foundation. Looking at the item in her hand she realized it was an old ancient key, quite large, and most of the brass finish was oxidized which turned it a greenish blue color.

What in the world?, she thought I've been here every day and never saw it lying here before, where did it come from? Has someone else been here too? Perplexed, she looked around but saw no one. She started back down the path, anxious to get home. Hearing a ruckus from above she glanced up and saw the Raven in a state of excitement, flapping its wings, and croaking as he flew just feet over her head. Fanny rushed quickly down the path, but the Raven pursued. Finally reaching home, she grabbed her key, opened the door, entered and locked it. She ran to the window and looked out but did not see the Raven further.

Meanwhile, the Owl, keeping track of the activity, emitted a 'whoot, whoot', in glee. He had known for some time that events were going to happen. Something was buried deep in the forest, and recently the ground had begun shaking and cracks were appearing under cover of leaves and brush. The Owl was amused, for he knew the secret of the key and the chaos that would ensue when it found the lock. How laughable that the squawking raven was excited after dropping it on the ground. What was coming wouldn't be good, but he had nothing to fear; nothing at all.

Unknown to her, Fanny had accidentally dropped the ancient key in her excitement to get in the house away from the Raven. Now the wily bird had picked up the key and was now deep in the forest scratching at the leaves and brush by the tree. The dirt below magically seemed to open and reveal a metal crypt inscribed with strange symbols. Raven dropped the key on top, then croaked and quickly flew away. His job was done. Now he could sit back and watch what would occur.

Within seconds, the crypt opened, and a skeletal hand flailed and groped the ground. Next a head, with blazing red eyes and gaping mouth looked around. Hoisting itself out of the crypt, the hideous figure, with most of its flesh gone, emerged. Hunched and creeping along, almost animal like, it climbed into a tree, patiently waiting for a target. It's fingers and toes appeared clawlike and dangerous. Hours passed but finally a lone hunter appeared. He spotted the open crypt on the ground and bent over to inspect it, never knowing what hit him. Leaping quickly, the figure attacked with such force and brutality there was no chance to defend himself. Using it's broken, jagged teeth, the figure removed the heart. Emitting a piercing high pitch scream it went dashing in the opposite direction, heart and key in hand, to complete the mission it had been given by its master.

A centuries old mausoleum, once a marvelous structure, now aged, crumbling, and weathered, lay on the outskirts of the Argintari property. The figure crept up the steps and put the key into the lock. Once inside the dark building he went to one of the caskets inside and opened the cover. A very weak and pale man lay inside, barely breathing. The man opened his mouth and the figure placed the heart inside. With a few gulps and convulsions, vitality returned, and the man spoke.

"Thank you my dear, you have completed your mission, and I free you from any further obligation to me. You know what to do now. Shortly, I will have a new slave."

The figure exited the mausoleum, dropped the key on the steps, and lurched off to its destination. The renewed man also exited the building and disappeared into the woods.

Now the grotesque figure made its way through the dark night, over the cliff, to the seashore. There, it hobbled along the beach until it came to a small cave. Inside the cave a pool of steaming water appeared, and it threw itself in. Hissing and swirling emanated and the water turned black as pitch. Several days later it emerged, a beautiful woman, but one without a memory and naked. She had two little marks on the side of her neck. Aimlessly wandering the shore, she was found by fishermen and taken to the police station where she was given immediate care and clothing. An Officer held an inquisition but the woman, clearly traumatized and incoherent was then taken to the local hospital as she appeared to have no memory of what happened or how she got there. The memory never returned. A new life began, and the past was gone.

Waking to rain tapping on the window and bursts of lightening, Fanny thought about staying in bed. The days here were so long and lonely. As she lay there, she thought about the city where she had met Omor at a wedding dance and fell in love. She couldn't help but sneak glances at him standing in the corner and was surprised when he asked her to dance. She fell for him the moment he took her in his arms; they literally seemed to glide across the floor, she felt beguiled and bewitched. Later, over a drink, she learned that he was a tuna fisherman, which took her by surprise as he seemed so sophisticated. Then again, most of the men in Maine made their living from the sea. They spent evenings together, enjoying life in the busy city or spending time at her little apartment. Sometimes they went out to a restaurant, but he never seemed to have much of an appetite. Oddly, he never stayed the entire night but always left during the early morning hours and she wouldn't see him again until the next evening. Of course she wondered what he did during the day, about his family, where in lived, and so many other things. After questioning him about a few of those things he became sullen and quiet, so she dropped the subject and never asked again, content with the time they had together. Her friends did not like him, they thought he was arrogant and rude. They constantly encouraged her to find out more about him before becoming serious. Love was blooming, there was no listening to reason or stopping the flame, but she had to admit a nagging fear that something was a little off.

Without notice he would depart to fish for weeks on end while she waited anxiously for his return. She worked from home, socialized with friends, and kept busy. Here, on the other hand, the solitude and loneliness disillusioned her. Omor was so excited when he learned that his uncle, Captain Andrei Argintari, whom he barely knew, had died and left his home (including the lighthouse) to him, his only surviving relative. When Omor asked her to live there, she didn't hesitate, not wanting to lose him. Now, she had second thoughts, he was gone so often, still disappearing until evening. She summoned courage to ask him about it one day and his clipped reply was, to do my work, of course, do you not trust me, my dear?

Enough pondering, she thought, and rose to meet the bleary day.

Over coffee, there was a knock at the door. Thinking it was finally Omor, she ran to open it but found a policeman standing there. Her heart dropped thinking something had happened to him.

"Officer, has something happened to Omor, my finance?"

"Madam, so sorry to intrude this early in the morning. Your finance? I don't know, there has been a body found."

"A body! When, where? My finance hasn't returned from fishing, and I've been worried."

"It's still under investigation so I can't reveal too much but a man was found deep in the woods behind your home. We believe he was a hunter from the area who may have had a mishap. He was elderly, grey hair, probably in his late 50's. Does that match the description of your finance?"

With relief, Fanny sank into a chair. "No, my finance is in his late 20's. His ship should have returned last week but it's still not here. The Lady Luck, have you heard any news of it? They fish for tuna."

"I'm sorry, no, but I'll check at the station when I get back. The reason I stopped by was to ask if you have seen anything unusual in the area or anyone suspicious."

"I haven't seen anyone. It's very isolated here, but there is one thing."

"Yes, what is that?"

"A key, I found a key on the path to the lighthouse. I go there every day to see if the ship came in and it wasn't there, then yesterday I found it right there on the path, in plain sight. I felt like someone had been there and dropped it."

"Maybe you just missed sighting it before."

Pursing her lips, Fanny replied, "I'm sure I didn't, I'm quite observant."

"Do you have the key; can I see it?"

"It's likely outside, I must have dropped it when opening the door. A Raven was chasing me down the path all the way from the lighthouse and I was frightened."

Now beginning to wonder if this woman was prone to exaggeration, the Officer replied. "Well, I'm sure you will find it again, if you do, bring it to the station and I'll take a look at it. And please, don't climb the lighthouse. That's how Captain Argintari died, you know."

Shocked, Fanny said, "No, I didn't know."

"He was a very eccentric man. Kept to himself. I never knew him to own or captain a ship, but again, I've only been in the area for several years. We believe he slipped on the spiral staircase; he was found at the bottom and had been there for some time. Very gruesome. That is why I would like you to stop going there, you could easily fall, and no one would find you. A dangerous place, a very old and dangerous place."

"Thank you, Officer, I will stop at the station tomorrow and see if you have any news for me."

"Listen young lady, please keep your door and windows locked until this investigation is over. It was nice meeting you."

"Likewise Officer, I will."

Upon leaving, they both looked outside the door, but no key was found. The Officer sat in his car wondering about the woman. She seemed genuine, but one never knew, did they? To avoid contamination of the investigation he kept a very crucial detail secret. The man they found had his heart removed from his body. It certainly wasn't something you would find every day and he hoped he never would again. He slowly drove away from the house and his glance went to the lighthouse on the cliff.

Fanny checked the door and windows as the Officer had suggested and periodically peered out but there was nothing to see as a dense fog had crept in. Upset, she couldn't really relax in the house now. Another reason to move back to the city. Who knew what was lurking around in these woods.

Later that evening Fanny froze when she heard someone enter the kitchen. She sat up in bed, afraid to move but afraid not to. Then she heard him, Omor.

"Fanny, I'm home."

She rushed into his arms, so happy that he was home and yet dreading the conversation they would have to have. "I was so worried about you; I told the Police Officer to check and see if there had been any reports on the Lady Luck."

"A Police Officer, really Fanny? I told you it could be weeks."

"He came here Omor, there was a murder in the woods."

"A murder, is that so? Do they know who did it?"

"I don't think so, he told me to keep my door and windows locked. It's too much Omor, I want to go back to the city."

"Are you serious, this is my home Fanny; our home."

"It's too remote and lonely for me, you have to understand. I'm going crazy here, and you are always gone."

"I have a job to do, what do you expect Fanny? Do you want me to quit working? If that's how you really feel, we will talk tomorrow. I want you to be happy, you should know that. You always want to know what I do every day; I will tell you. I'm a writer and a good one. I have books published under an alias. I go where it is isolated and I can concentrate. A place where no one can interrupt me. So, you see, Fanny, I'm always working so we can have nice things."

"A writer? What is your alias, maybe I have read your books."

"I can't reveal that, not even to you. It would break my mojo. Come here, let's stop all this silliness tonight, shall we?"

Omor wrapped his arms around Fanny tightly. "We can talk more tomorrow, it's getting late." He bent his head and nuzzled her neck.

One long, terrified scream was heard that night.

"Now I will take you home, dear Fanny, Omor said, picking her up in his arms. I will be your master, and you will be my slave." He carried her to the now empty crypt, placed her body inside, and closed the cover. Once again, the crypt was occupied by a young woman with strange marks on the side of her neck. A woman who would never again live in the city or remember where she came from. The earth enveloped it, leaves and brush blew over it, and the moving and shaking ground was still. It was done.....for now.

The Great Horned Owl, still sitting in the tall pine, flew off to an unknown destination and the Raven left to find a new nesting place.

The lantern room light went dark, never to be lit again, until finally the structure succumbed to the wind and salty air and fell into the waiting sea.

Omor was born again and temporarily returned to his home in Romania. He was never a relative of Captain Argintari nor did he write books either; it all was a ruse, and he had perfected it throughout the years. Hunters of evil were everywhere, and you had to outsmart them.

The investigation was closed for lack of evidence. The Officer wondered about the woman and finance she proclaimed had been lost at sea. He stopped back at the house in the woods. The door was open, he heard the scuffling of a few animals but there were no possessions in sight. He assumed she had returned to the city.

His officers, however, did find an ancient key to the old mausoleum. They opened the door and thought it odd that there was an empty coffin inside without a body; the lining spotted with blood. A sample of the blood determined it was the blood of the hunter who had been murdered.


Word Count 3,000


© Copyright 2024 Espero (espero at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/2327893-What-The-Owl-Knew