*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/2327280-Homework
by Jacky
Rated: E · Fiction · Contest Entry · #2327280
Flash Fiction
Homework

“This isn’t going to work,” said Teddy.

“It will,” said Ben.

“How?”

“Listen, if we say ‘Not yet’ it could mean we just haven’t gotten to it yet, more important things had to be done first.”

“Like what?”

“We don’t have to have a what, we just have to seem as if we were very busy with something else and didn’t get to cleaning up our room yet. Like we hurried, but the other thing was more important.”

“And you don’t think we need a name for the other thing?”

“When was the last time Dad asked you what your project was? He never does! You know why? Because he doesn’t want to have to get involved, to have to help with it. So, he just assumes you know what you’re doing, and he goes in and watches TV.”

“I guess you’re right!”

“I am right!”

Out in the hallway Dad overheard the conversation. He immediately got angry, but then realized, it was true. He hated trying to help with homework or projects. It always ended up boring, or stupid, or worst, he didn’t know how to do it and the kids ended up teaching him… all three not the way he wanted to spend his evenings, let alone weekends.

This sudden realization of the truth hit him like a truck. He suddenly felt like a bad dad. Though he was also not feeling like he should let them trick him out of making sure they did their home chores either. He walked in.

“Why isn’t this room clean?”

“Oh,” Ben said, “we had to finish our other stuff first, almost done!”

“Great, let me see.”

It was a long night for Teddy, and an even longer one for Ben. Dad, on the other hand, started feeling pretty darn good.
© Copyright 2024 Jacky (cliffjack at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/2327280-Homework