*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/2326061-Lisas-Confession
Rated: 13+ · Short Story · Relationship · #2326061
Lisa tries to understand the dynamics of her new relationship.
Calvin closed the door and stared at her. Lisa's eyes widened as she read the hurt in his hazel depths. She was afraid to move or speak, not knowing what to say, and suddenly aware that she caused the pain he was feeling. The man had just basically admitted he wanted to marry her! Just hearing that he intended to buy a house, have a permanent residence here, and build his life here sent every doubt in motion and caused her to act irrationally. Was this how love worked? She'd seen enough pain between Nolan and Anna at the beginning and all the heartache Megan endured at the hands of Corey to shy away from all it had to offer before Cal waltzed into her life. Would love make her constantly jump to the wrong conclusions? Is that what she did to her sister to make her run off? Was this a pattern she used not to let anyone close?

Stunned by her last thought, Lisa swayed; the spinning in her head made her reach for the wall.

"Whoa," Cal said, rushing forward and wrapping her in his arms. "I think you'd better sit."

Words remained elusive as she tried to understand everything happening. Calvin walked her to the couch and sat her down, kneeling before her.

"Are you all right?" He brushed a stray hair away from her face and cupped her chin. "Lisa, look at me."

Tears welled in her eyes, and the last thing she wanted to do was cry in front of him. She shook her head and turned away, unable to meet his eyes. He couldn't see her break down. It was bad enough that Cal witnessed her pacing when anger took hold, though he hadn't held that against her. A total breakdown would have him heading back to the airport for sure.

"Listen, I can only help you if I know what's wrong."

She sighed, and that innocent action released some tension coiling through her body. Calvin's thumb brushed her cheek, sending a shiver down her spine. She closed her eyes, letting the sensation take root. She couldn't deny how good it felt to have this man touch her. All these little things Calvin did had a calming effect, and she hoped she remembered that as the doubts and questions returned to her mind.

"I'm scared," she whispered, keeping her eyes closed, not ready to see his reaction.

He pressed his forehead to hers and sighed. "You know what I find truly amazing?"

"What?"

His thumb brushed her cheek again, sending warmth through her. She inhaled his spicey scent, which added a layer of comfort as her runaway thoughts calmed.

"I'm not."

Her eyes snapped open. "Not even a little?"

He shook his head. "You know I'm very calculated in my decision-making. I crunch numbers, research until I've exhausted every viable avenue, and run worst-case scenarios, trying to circumvent any roadblock that could come my way."

Like Calvin, she tended to do the same thing. "Yes, I'm aware of that."

He took her hands and sat beside her. "Before I came here after we went to Vegas, I knew my life would change course. Did I know I would purchase property to expand the business and move here then? No."

"But when that was the direction you decided to take, you still weren't afraid?" she asked, every word he said sinking in.

"There may have been a moment when fear of failure entered my mind, but I had gone over the information I'd gathered so many times that it all fit perfectly."

He placed his hand on her cheek, and she leaned into him, loving his warmth and strength. "You've always been self-assured."

He laughed, "Not until college," he admitted.

Lisa shook her head, unable to picture him any other way. "I find that hard to believe."

"It's true. College was the first time I started living, allowing myself to do something other than academics. Between school and the family business, I didn't have much social time growing up, not that I was looking for it. I always knew I'd be working at the Corporation, and that was the focus."

Lisa nodded and could understand that because she saw his drive when it came to business. "Cal," she said, "what happens if we find out this thing between us is just infatuation? A passing phase?"

He studied her face for a moment. "Do you honestly think this isn't love?"

God, she wanted it to be! She took a deep breath and knew it was time to confess something he most likely didn't know about her. "I don't know. I've never been in love before."

Just saying the words aloud sent a shiver down her spine. She expected a reaction—a sharp intake of breath, a whistle, something. Instead, the man sitting beside her smiled like he'd just heard the best news he'd heard all day.

WC: 820

Written For: "Merit Badge Magic

A scene I'm struggling to write for Bride 2 Be
© Copyright 2024 Purple Wishing WDC Happy 24th (purpleprincess at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/2326061-Lisas-Confession