*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/2325685-Chapter-9
Rated: E · Chapter · Drama · #2325685
Dark Society
This particular morning, Luis struggled to rouse, despite the day. But shortly thereafter, he'd access the kitchen, and as utensils clashed, he rested against the egress, watching in amazement.

“Do you ever take a day off?”

Promptly, Caroline twisted and flung the panes.

“Not if you want breakfast,”

At first glance, Luis didn't look reinvigorated, considering he'd had a long heart-to-heart with his father. But due to that, everything seemed headed in the right direction.

“Has dad awoken?” he questioned, seizing the morning paper.

Advancing, Caroline chuckled.

“You know your father, slow to stir,”

Tossing the bulk of the paper aside, Luis snickered as Jim drifted into the kitchen.

“Good morning,” Caroline greeted as her husband settled into a chair.

“What did I miss?” he insisted, grasping a cup.

“Oh, nothing much,” she retorted, giggling.

“How's my favorite graduate this morning?” Jim questioned, savoring a sip of coffee.

“Drained, though anticipating a relaxing summer.”

Per usual, Jim eased and gathered portions of the scattered paper.

“What's the plan?” he inquired. “Are you enrolling this week?”

Pondering, Luis gaped with a disconcerted eloquence.

“This morning, if I can avoid the crowds,”

That said, Jim stood and assisted Caroline.

“The earlier, the better,”

More often than not, Luis appreciated Jim's candor, but several bizarre gestures had captured attention. Into the bargain, he was often chockfull of surprises, so Luis stayed attentive.

“You're more animated than usual,” he observed.

“I have every right,” Jim returned as Caroline unexpectedly appeared concerned.

“Jim -- tell him,”

Immediately, Luis skeptically gazed at his father.

“I've spoken with Stephen,” he admitted.

Pausing, Luis recollected.

“Littleton?”

Nodding, Jim grinned.

Unfortunately, Luis hadn't seen Alex since his abrupt transfer to Birmingham, so he sat elated by the declaration.

“Has he returned to London?” Luis inquired.

“And also, transferred to Imperial,” Jim answered.

“What about Stephen and Diana?”

“Stephen is now the superintendent for the telecom division of Lattice Group in London, so yes, he and Diana have also moved back to the city,”

First and foremost, Luis appeared calm, despite a contained excitement.

“In that case, he'll be registering soon?”

Beaming, Jim composed himself.

“Yes, however, I'm sure he'd like to see you beforehand,”

“How?” Luis requested.

“Simple,” Jim countered. “I'll contact Stephen and set up a time.”

Not surprisingly, Caroline's expressions differed while arranging the breakfast dishes.

“Mom, what is it?” Luis quizzed, shifting.

Then and there, Caroline turned to Jim.

“You should tell him everything,”

“What's going on?” Luis interjected.

Hardly surprising, Jim hesitated, because, despite his sincerest motives, there wouldn't be an easy way.

“Someone else is attending Imperial this semester,”

“I'm listening,” Luis retorted, peering.

Right away, Jim's gaze fell.

“Karen,”

Following that, Luis meandered to the window and parted the drapes.

“She's also come home?”

Naturally, Jim recalled Luis' love for Karen, thus remained sensitive to his feelings.

“As far as I know -- yes,”

Initially, Luis didn't speak nor react, as the likelihood of encountering Karen again became probable.

“You all right?” Jim begged.

Progressing, Luis confronted his parents.

“It was going to happen at some point,” he stated. “Besides, I can't avoid her forever.”

Gradually, Jim lamented.

“I didn't want to upset you, but I thought it best you knew,”

This side of the grave, every man invites only one true love, and for Luis, Karen remained his. Although, due to Jessica's misgivings, she'd kept them apart. As it turned out, Luis often tried to forget, though his love for Karen stood enduring. In which case, he resolved to stay fixed on the future, despite lingering emotions.

“The past should remain there,” he announced, drawing near.

Lovingly, Caroline embraced him.

“Sounds like you've matured,”

For the most part, Luis felt nervous about seeing Alex due to his bond with Karen. Except that she and Luis had an intimate history, and though omitted, he remembered the camaraderie. Then again, any past affinities, whether individual or professional, always stood precarious. For this reason, Luis lives knowing that he and Karen's relationship felt scrutinized.

More importantly, due to the break-up, he'd learned invaluable lessons and enhanced his awareness. One of many merits he appreciates and practices in everyday life. Lastly, his parents had remained supportive, despite Luis's varying attitudes. In the long run, he'd been given the opportunity to succeed, and it's a challenge he'd accepted. Which suggests he was eager to start the next phase of his life.

“Where are you off to?” Jim asked, staring.

Hurriedly, Luis leered, pawing keys.

“I'm following your advice,”

“Really?” Jim joked.

“I have to move on at some point, don't I?”

“In that case, are you going to campus?” Jim queried.

“Yeah,” Luis affirmed. “I need a closer look,”

As customary, he bid farewell to his parents and headed out.

“What do you think?” Caroline challenged as she and Jim observed from the window.

“He's strong,” he admitted. “Addedly, if he stays focused, there's no way he can fail.”

“What about Karen?” she debated, gasping.

“He still loves her, but with Karen's ties to that vile synagogue, he must be cautious.”
© Copyright 2024 Darkscape Entertainment (darkscapemedia at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/2325685-Chapter-9