*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/2323238-Chapter-4
Printer Friendly Page Tell A Friend
No ratings.
Rated: GC · Fiction · Experience · #2323238
Rosalie and Alma go to the Corner store.
As Rosalie makes her way back home, the hallway is finally clear. The recruitment agents are no longer anywhere to be found as the girls have returned to their rooms. Rosalie makes her way to the kitchen for a snack only to find Kendra with a teenage girl beside her.

"Mom, can we have pancakes for dinner?" The teenager inquires. Her prominent black nail polish draws attention as her thumbs twiddle back and forth on her switch. Her skully headphones sit on top of her head like mouse ears, with heavy eyeliner giving her the illusion of having larger eyes.

"Just a minute hun! I'm still looking for the vanilla!"

"On the top left corner." Rosalie instructs nonchalantly. Kendra turns around surprised before smiling with glee.

"There's my girl!" She rushes to giver her a bear hug.

"Oh sweetheart, thank you so much for the support earlier. I was such a mess."

"We've all been there." Rosalie reassures before looking in the directions of the teenage girl.

"Oh, this is Roxy!" Kendra introduces.

"I hope you don't mind if my daughter stays in the house for a little bit. We have a room in the basement. Just until things settle down."

Rosalie studies the girl a bit longer, but her interest is unrequited.

"If you're asking me to keep it hush hush, we live in the house with a dozen nosy women. But that doesn't mean I can't refer to plausible deniability." Rosalie smirks.

"You're the fucking best!" Kendra chants before giving Rosalie a brief shoulder rub. Rosalie works her way to the cabinet and grabs a snack as Kendra begins to prepare pancake batter.

"Did she ever call you back honey?"

"Uh, let me see." Roxy attempts to clarify.

Rosalie makes her way out of the kitchen, this time locking eye contact with Roxy. They stare at one another intensely before Rosalie breaks eye contact and walks away.

As Rosalie enters the bedroom, her roommate manages to be gone. Rosalie lets out a sigh of relief before crawling into bed and pulling up Netflix on her phone. She changes into more comfortable clothing before finding a comfortable position and starting a series.

In the Kitchen, Kendra continues her conversation with Roxy.

"Is she really all that good of an influence hun? I could've sworn I saw her smoking a cigarette by the dumpster the other day. She seems a bit troubled."

Roxy immediately rolls her eyes before letting out a frustrated grunt.

"Ugh! I'M trouble mom!" Roxy immediately excuses herself from the kitchen and heads into the basement. Kendra clasps her hands to her mouth and attempts to fight back tears. After a moment of recollecting herself, she picks up her phone and dials a number. She holds the phone to her ear with a hand to her hips.

A woman picks up. "Hello?"

"Raven, I don't think I can do this anymore." She trembles, barely able to finish her sentence.

Roxy sits on the stairs eavesdropping in silence. Her mother's voice grows ruffled in the background as she runs the kitchen sink. Roxy sits on the stairs ashamed. She stairs off to the side before picking herself up and running into the bedroom.

In the second floor bathroom shower, Alma can be seen slicking her hair down with gel. Her delicate skeletal structure drapes over her bath towel. Though petite in size, her personality continues to speak for itself.

" 'Scuse me, while I kiss the sky!" She sings into her hair brush. She begins to twirl and moonwalk all around the bathroom floor before slipping on a wad of hair gel and falling on to her rear. A giggle can be heard from the hallway.

"You alright in there Alma?"

Alma's face grows flushed with fury.

"Oh, can it Joyce!"

A tall, slender, dark curly haired woman can be seen holding her mouth as she giggles in the hallway.

"What you laughing at girl?" A butch lesbian woman inquires as she works her way towards Joyce on a cast scooter.

Joyce looks down at the woman's leg before growing flustered.

"Babe! What the hell happened to your leg."

"I didn't land the Ollie today babe." The woman pouts in a disheveled voice.

"Oh my God, let me get you some ice. You need to get into bed, like right now!"

"Is Kendra here?"

"Yeah, but she's distracted. She won't come check. Just go lay down.

"I don't know babe. She kinds of scares me a bit."

"Natalie. I won't say it again, so lay down."

Natalie makes her way with her foot scooter into Kendra's room.

"And you better not be smirking in there either Alma. Hurry up and get out of the bathroom already!" Joyce scolds.

Alma smirks before picking herself up from the floor and whispering "Karma's a bitch." as Joyce makes her way into the kitchen for ice.

Joyce immediately greets Kendra and begins talking up a storm, failing to read the room properly.

"Hey Kendra!" She digs in the cabinet mindlessly. "So the girls are so happy with the way the casting call went today. When are you gonna do ano--"

Joyce stops in her tracks. Taken aback by Kendra's smeared makeup and lack of engagement.

"Oh my God, are you alright?" Joyce runs over to check on her.

"It's fine honey. Just going through the tidal waves of life." Kendra pauses. "And they're kicking my ass." She sniffles, doing her best to hold back the water works.

"Oh baby girl, don't tell me this is tied to Kyle?" Kendra wipes her eyes and blows her nose on a nearby tissue before nodding with shame.

"Ugh, I'm gonna kill that asshat." Joyce protests. "Thank God I'm lesbian. I could not deal with half the things you ladies tolerate from men."

"Trust me, if I could be, I would!" Kendra exclaims. A bit more lighthearted than before.

"Did you guys sign the papers yet?"

"No, he's refusing to sign unless I can guarantee him 50-50 custody."

"What's the harm in that?"

"Are you kidding me? I don't want his mistress around my daughter!" Kendra exclaims.

"I hear you." Joyce empathizes before putting a finger to her chin.

"Well, word on the street was that you can't walk into a room without having several eyes on you. I think you'll be more than okay dear."

Kendra sticks her chin in the air with dignity, Joyce's words encouraging new found levels of self esteem.

"You know what, you're right!" Kendra agrees. "I'm gonna call Ben from High School. I ghosted him on valentines day last year trying to make it work with this idiot. We've kept in touch since though."

"Does he know about Kyle?"

"Sadly. he's been super supportive all throughout."

"Watcha waiting on then? Call him girl!"

Kendra purses her lips in admiration before running off to the balcony to conduct her phone call. Joyce waits until she's out of site before rushing to grab the ice and running back upstairs. As Joyce works her way up the stairs, she notices Alma exiting the bathroom.

"Lucky girl. Maybe you do have a sixth sense after all." Joyce teases. Alma grits her teeth and stares at Joyce defensively. Joyce proceeds to open the room door with Alma trailing in close second. Natalie can be seen laying on Alma's bed, face to the ceiling, while scrolling on her phone.

"Awwee, my poor baby." Joyce emphasizes before running over to give Natalie a hug and place ice on the area surrounding her cast.

Alma proceeds to get dressed, throwing a pair of headphones in to drown out the noise. She continues to lip sync into her tooth brush, being completely ignored by both Joyce and Natalie.

As the room remains bustling with interaction, there's a knock on the door. Everyone pauses in fright of who it might be, when a voice introduces itself.

"Alma, it's Rosie."

Alma looks over to Joyce, curious as to what Rosalie might want. Joyce shrugs before Alma decides to break the ice and answer the door.

"Hey girl! What are you doing in this corner of the Manor?"

"I didn't know Manor house had camps." Rosalie utters stoically. "Hey, can I talk to you when you get a chance."

"Sure, wait here, just let me throw some pants on." Rosalie rushes to throw on a pair of baggy jeans to compliment her briefs and heads out the door, giving Joyce and Natalie a half-hearted wave. Rosalie is surprised by how quick she manages to get ready.

"Where to?" Alma inquires.

"I was wondering if you would walk to the corner store with me?"

"For a Pack of Smokes?"

"Basically."

Alma nods in agreement. As the two work their way out of the house, Alma stops to engage with one of the House Mates. Rosalie disengaged, instead looking out the window. Across the street, she notices Mark 's silhouette near the front window. He paces back and forth slowly, seemingly enjoying a cozy conversation. On occasion, the silhouette tilts its head back in laughter, making an aesthetic presentation. Rosalie, enamored, pulls out her phone and captures a photo.

Alma takes notice and grows distracted from her conversation. "What the hell? Is that what we're doing now?" Alma slaps Rosalie on the back in disappointment?

"What? I liked the aesthetic." Rosalie utters.

The House Mate interjects. "Oh can it Alma, you're just jealous because you want to bone Rosie!"

Rosalie looks over at Alma slightly confused before immediately growing distracted by the silhouette again. Alma, slightly relieved that Rosalie is easily distracted, grabs her by her sleeve and pulls her out of the house. The housemate smirks as she washes the two evade her statement. As Alma and Rosalie exit the house, their size difference becomes more noticeable indicated by the shadows reflecting upon the sidewalk. Alma notices the shadows and her eyes soften with amusement.

"Hey Rosie, how's this for a muse?" Alma begins to make funny gestures, manipulating her shadow. Rosalie grows amused and watches with focused intent.

"That's actually not bad." Rosalie seems impressed. "But watch, you gotta do it more like this!" Rosalie creates an even more exaggerated pose. Causing her shadow to become deformed. Alma tilts her head back to let out a belly laugh. Intrigued, Rosalie pulls out her camera phone and snaps an off guard photo. Alma immediately stops laughing and looks at Rosalie with confusion.

"I guess the night's just full of inspiration after all." She teases, before walking ahead to make way to the store. Alma studies her from a distance before walking jollily after her. As the girls work their way through the neighborhood, they engage in small talk and share continuous laughter. They make their way to the corner store sooner than expected.

"We're here!" Rosie let's out a sigh of exhaution.

"What, you tired already?"

"I'm out of shape."

"I could condition you." Alma slightly teases. Rosalie smirks innocently before going inside to purchase the cigarettes.

Alma waits outside and scrolls on her phone when a group of young boys riding BMX bikes manage to pull up to the store. The boys sip on blue mountain due and burp belligerently. Making misogynistic jokes on their way inside. Alma grows nervous but does her best to hide her anxiety. Doing her best to straighten her posture and harden her face. The boys tease each other arrogantly as they walk past her.

"Yo, is that a dyke?" One of the boys instigates. The other boys respond with outrageous laughter.

"I mean she has titties bro. Maybe she's going through her rebellious phase."

"You fucking idiot, of course she has titties. Who said lesbians weren't still girls?" Alma rolls her eyes, doing her best to remain stoic. The boy scratches his head, embarrassed by his question when Rosalie makes her way out the store.

"Ready?" She smiles to Alma. Alma perks up realizing that they will finally be able to get away when a boy sticks his foot out and trips Rosalie.

"Woah-- what the fuck?" Rosalie manages to catch herself last minute. The boys laugh in unison. Alma's anxiety returns, uncertain of what to do.

"You little shits!" Rosalie scolds defensively. The boys take offense and continue to antagonize.

"Shut up gigantor." Rosalie's eyes widen, her feelings visibly hurt. Alma takes notice and grows defensive in response.

"Is that even a girl?" Another boy teases. Alma begins to ball her fist. Rosalie freezes, uncertain of how to respond.

"I think I see a v between her legs, I dunno bro." Another kid teases. Rosalie grows embarrassed and turns away in shame.

"Let's go Alma." She whispers. Frustrated, Alma pauses to study the boys. The boys take notice of Alma's hostility and further challenge her.

"Something wrong Dyke?" One of the boys inquires. Alma balls a fist, no longer able to contain her anger.

"Alma, let's just leave it. They're idiots anyway." Alma grits her teeth, refusing to stand out.

"You bitches don't get pussy much, huh? I could understand why you'd be jealous of me." Rosalie's eyes widen in shock of Alma's bravado.

The boys look to one another before laughing in unison. "Yeah, what kinda pussy you get? Damaged goods?"

Alma's face grows flushed with anger. She balls her fists even harder as she thinks of a comeback. "You tell your mom you love her every night and have the nerve to call her damaged good's in the same sentence?"

"What the fuck you say hoe?" A boy closer to the background utters. The boys grow silent as they step aside to make way for him. Though more silent than the rest of his peers, this boy seems to carry the most anger. In the background a boy can be heard whispering "We should've left them alone. His mom just came out as bisexual and it's tearing their religious ass family apart. Sore subject for him." The boys study the man in shame, not realizing the harm they've caused. Alma manages to overhear the whispers and grows a level of newfound sympathy towards the boy.

"That what this is about man? It's okay to like what you like man. Your mom's preferences aren't reflected upon anything you did or didn't do."

"My mother is confused. She can still be saved. But there's no hope for people like you." Hurt fills Alma's eyes as she is overcome by a foggy gaze.

"Alma.." Rosalie whispers with concern. "Let's get out of here, no?" Alma remains unresponsive. Instead glaring off into the distance.

"Shut up fatty." The boy scolds Rosalie. Alma regains concentration with a fiery focus as she walks up to the boy with a vengeance until they're face to face.

"Yo, what's your problem man."

"I only talk to men. My size and up. Almost made the cut, 'bro'." Alma loses her cool and releases an unhinged swing, knocking the boy right in the nose. To her surprise, the boy immediately retaliated, punching Alma beneath the eye. The boys and Rosalie immediately rush forward to break up the fight, as the two can be heard yelling profanities at one another.

"A bruised eyes trumps a broken nose!" Alma mocks, sending the boy into a reawakened state of Frenzy. He breaks free from the hold of the boys and returns another strike towards Alma. Rosalie's reflexes kick in as she gets in the way to block the punch. Instead taking a blow to the spine.

"Ow!" She yells, before stumbling awkwardly to the ground.

"Yo, Derek! Let's fucking go man. The clerk is calling the cops!" The boys look at Alma and Rosalie with remorse, as Derek glares at them with pride before leading his pack to their bikes and rolling out.

"Rosie, what the fuck? What did you get in the way?" Alma whispers with remorse.

"If you can take a punch, I can too." Rosalie whispers, wincing in slight pain.

"Here, get off the floor." Alma encourages, her Brooklyn accent shining more than ever before.

"You know you're crazy for that, right?"

"Now can we finally get out of here?"

Alma tilts her head in shame, wishing she would've left sooner.

"Yeah. Can you walk?"

Rosalie studies Alma's black eye with sympathy. "I mean, can you see?"

Alma smirks before pushing Rosalie teasingly. "Owe! That's my bad side." Rosalie howls. The two tease each other as they works their way home. Right before they make their way to the porch, Alma inquires about the pack.

"Hey, how about those cigarettes you promised?"

"Oh yeah." Rosalie reassures. She pats her pockets looking for where she could've put them when her face becomes flushed with shock.

"What's up?"

"I dunno. I think I may have dropped them while breaking up the fight."

"Shit. Well that's no good." Alma teases. "Well, since we're already here why don't you go inside and ice that back. I'll run back and retrace our steps."

"With a black eye?"

"Trumps a bad back!" Alma teases before running off. Rosalie shakes her head before crawling her way inside.

In the background, Kendra can be heard asking Rosalie what happened to her back,

Alma is quick to retrace her steps. She jogs to the corner store cutting the trip down to half the time when she finds a man standing and holding the pack of cigarettes. The man looks Alma's way while dangling the pack inquisitively.

"This yours?"

Alma grows defensive, not sure if this will turn into a repeat of the earlier incident. The man takes note of Alma's defensiveness and holds both of his hands up in peace, disarming her a bit. She walks closer to grab the pack when he notices her black eye.

"Woah, that looks nasty. Did you get into a fight?" The man inquires knowingly. Alma chuckles with embarrassment.

"Just some stupid sewer rat kids on a power trip."

The man's gaze grows intense. "That doesn't sound pleasant. Were there any witnesses around?"

"My friend Rosalie was with me." The man squints at the name of Rosalie. "They even tried to attack her. Crazy fuckers. Anyway, thanks for finding my pack."

"Anytime. The man reassures Alma."

"Take care now." She smirks while running back to the manor. The man watches Alma run off into the distance and waits until she's out of sight before leaning against his black customized car and lighting a cigar. He puts a hand in his pocket as he studies the moon in depth.


© Copyright 2024 BoopCutie (boopcutie at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/2323238-Chapter-4