*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/2322085-Dear-1980s-babies-and-beyond
Printer Friendly Page Tell A Friend
No ratings.
Rated: GC · Critique · Writing · #2322085
A postmodernism assessment from a 1980s model—NB there are many definitions for "model"
https://substack.com/@colinwright/note/c-59156815?r=8jxpo
My comment from the note linked above:

Many people born post 1980 have basically been encouraged to live in fantasy worlds by hippie dippy parents and their penchant for free love, singing kumbayah, living in communes, and thinking everything can be solved through peaceful means—so let's all talk about our feelings over and over again (this also ties in with the many psychologists of that era, and the current era, who espoused and encouraged much of this utter rubbish)

Now, we are seeing the culmination of this little societal experiment. These people have been coddled and infantilized, all their “feelings” about mundane crap have been overly attended to and constantly validated, and they have been way overprotected from “danger” so much that they are incapable of handling reality or anything that counters their fragile viewpoints and interpretations of what life is “supposed” to be like.

They can't even wrap their fucking minds around the fact that not everyone cares about their Disney Fairy Tale worlds full of unicorns, endless sunshine, and rainbows. They talk about interconnectedness, but can't understand how that works on an international scale as they can't wrap their goddamn minds around the fact that people in other countries and cultures don't sit around taking selfies, patting themselves on the back for every bottle they recycle, talking about how awesome they are because they bought pants made of recycled plastic and 2% of the proceeds went to support some “really good” environmental goodwill cause. They can't even begin to fathom that people in other countries don't have the luxury of spending their free time having sex toy parties and talking about where they are going to shake their half-naked asses on the weekend and which color wine they are going to drink so it matches their outfits. And if they do think about it, it is only for a fleeting moment as they can't conceive how any of that affects them here in their little safe space bubbles where they surround themselves only with people who echo their sentiments as they can't deal with “negativity”…or basically anything that challenges their belief systems. After all, all those people in all those countries are in far-off places and what happens there can't possibly affect them here. 9/11 was only a little over 20 years ago and the rise of ISIS/ISIL and the Yazidi genocide was a little over 8 years ago. I understand WWI, WWII and the holocaust were quite awhile ago but c’mon now… has technology, smartphones, and social media totally eradicated our short-term memory capabilities?

What happens in the Middle East doesn't stay in the Middle East.

What happens in China and Russia leaches into our societies here.

What happens in tiny countries in Africa that most people haven't heard of affects us here as other big countries see opportunities to exploit those impoverished nations—which are often run by militias and terrorists. Certain big countries are interested in business and trade with these little countries so they may gain their trust through offering them money and arms deals and other very special side deals (like trafficking illicit goods, drugs, wildlife, and even human beings). Certain big countries will then benefit from this exploitation as it makes them money, gives them more power and recognition as “world leaders”, and allows them to keep their citizens under authoritarian control and in poverty while their “duly-elected” governments, leaders, and their special fucking circles of friends flourish.

Didn’t any of these post-1980 kids speak with and learn from their elders? Didn't any of them ever watch historical documentaries or movies? Visit a fucking museum that wasn't just full of artsy fartsy stuff? Did any of them ever play Axis and Allies? What about Sid Meirer Civilization, Command and Conquer or Age of Empires? Goddammit, even Mario's Time Machine and Mario is Missing could have taught them more about reality than their hippie dippy parents and their Socialist teachers who fell in love with Islamic discourse and poets like Rumi…

FFS!

Thanks for letting me rant in your comments section. Have a blessed day. 🫡

Related rant from my Facebook
https://www.facebook.com/share/p/8Hepnb1UDqaj5APo/?mibextid=oFDknk

Dear fucking God. Please stop writing the same fucking book over and over again—with or without religion, it's just fucking stupid. It's fun to postulate these kinds of community and worldwide scenarios where we all work together and everyone cares and contributes to the world, and it's cool to create media and write about as a fictious type world setting, a la Star Trek, but it is not realistic. There's lots of humans in this world who will never give a flying fuck about helping their neighbors or being kind or taking care of the earth. Some people simply don't give a fuck about anything other than themselves and filling their own selfish wants and desires at any cost. That's just reality. That said, it doesn't mean you give up hope for positive change and progress or just stop caring because "why bother" as the people who do care far outnumber the people who don't care. However, if enough people adopt the attitude of "what's the point" and become total despondent nihilistic pop tarts, then we end up in situations where awful leaders can rise to power who will use that nihilism to stir up tensions and pit people against each other. Authoritarian leaders especially thrive on this instability and chaos as it feeds their giant egos and their need for constant attention and admiration from others.

Book summary:
The result of a long and passionate study of both Islam and Marxism, Dr. Khalifa Abdul Hakim presents a critique of dialectical and historical materialism from a religious perspective. Using the philosophy of Allama Muhammad Iqbal, Dr. Khalifa exposits a vision of Islamic Socialism meant to encapsulate liberty and freedom of thought alongside economic and political equality.

https://books.google.ca/books/about/Islam_and_Communism.html?id=ll9kswEACAAJ&red...
© Copyright 2024 Crystal Dragon (chantellemarie at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/2322085-Dear-1980s-babies-and-beyond