*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/2319804-The-Beast-is-coming
Rated: 13+ · Short Story · Comedy · #2319804
The grassy prophet
"Hey, shorty look at me, I am reaching for the sunshine, waving in the breeze. I am the tallest of them all. It's so good to be alive."

"You are very impressive but there is something you should know."

"Not from you, hiding down there in the damp brown of dead old stems. No wonder you are so stunted. Look at you groveling at my feet!"

"Hey, that's a little out of order I am not grovelling..."

"Well, it sure looks that way to me. You know up here where the air is fresh and the skies are clear there are less of those creepy crawly things that you seem to be covered with."

"You get flying insects, I have seen them, heard them buzzing around."

"Yes, but they cannot get a footing up here. They buzz here and they buzz there but they do not land on me. They crawl amongst the small and unpleasant like yourself."

"Good grief you are full of yourself, you will not live forever. Look I have to tell you something, I have found out something very important."

"What could you possibly say that would interest me? I live among the beautiful people with the sun on my face. You entertain bugs and sit in my shadow."

"I could tell you that very soon you were going to be cut down and your body would lay broken down here, covered in the insects you despise..."

"Oh don't be so ridiculous, you are such a Moaning Minny how could you possibly know such a thing? You are just jealous of my glory surely?"

"Because the brown grass down here has all been neatly cut near its base. Some of the dead grass stems down here were once even larger than you are now."

"Taller than me! Now I know you are lying. I look around from my high place and all the other blades look up to me, how could any blade of grass be so mighty as I am now?

"Look...Oh, good grief... you are going to find out the hard way. What is that noise?"

It is a big red contraption pulling a line of spinning flashing metal...Oh no... it is mowing down our brothers and sisters as far as the eye can see, what kind of monster is this? The Beast is coming, help me please, ahhhhhh...."

Notes


© Copyright 2024 LightinMind (luminementis at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/2319804-The-Beast-is-coming