*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/2310325-Snow
by Jacky
Rated: E · Fiction · Contest Entry · #2310325
Flash Fiction
Snow

“Is it snowing again?”six year old Jeff asked.

“Honey! You’ve asked me a zillion times already! No it’s not snowing again, if it starts snowing I promise I will tell you!

“I just can’t wait! I’m so excited, I love the snow! I wish I had seen it. How did you see it anyway?

“Oh, well, I got up to get some water. My water bottle was empty, I’d forgotten to refill it.”

“What time was it?”

“I’m not sure, but I had already gone to sleep, so it was very late… I wish you had seen it too.”

“When I was asleep I was dreaming about snow. I wonder if my body knew it was snowing but just didn’t wake me up.”

“Maybe. If I see it start again and you are asleep, I will wake you up.”

“Promise?”

“I promise.”

Jeff smiled.

Later it did start snowing again. When Mom saw it she rushed down to Jeff’s room. He seemed sound asleep, but he was still smiling. Unfortunately, he was not asleep, he was gone.

As Mom sat by his bed, crying, she was happy that at least he’d passed away gently. She would have kept him forever, but his body had other plans. At least he died excited about something he loved.

Up in the clouds, Jeff watched the snow twirl and blow, as he prepared for his next life.
© Copyright 2023 Jacky (cliffjack at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/2310325-Snow