*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/2154332-CraziesOpening-Act
Printer Friendly Page Tell A Friend
No ratings.
Rated: 18+ · Chapter · Action/Adventure · #2154332
A one act draft script of Crazies.
         
         
         
         
         
         
         
         
         
         
         
         
         
         
         
         
         
         
         
         Crazies(Opening Scene) by

         
Joe K

EXT. DESERT PLATEAU MIDDAY
A single man, DONNY FELT stops at the entrance of the PLATEAU. He's around 30, pale, with gruff patches of facial hair. He sports an assault rifle and wears combat gear, but his facial expression leaves him totally vulnerable to the situation at hand.
Two other men, EDDY and MALCOLM, join him at the side. They are out-fitted similarly, but Eddy seems to be averse to the seriousness.

EDDY
Jesus, you think they could have spared us a car? My feet are killing me.
MALCOLM
No, cars are too loud. We don't want any Crazies on the alert.
EDDY
Riiighht. That's why they gave me this silenced submachine gun,this silenced revolver...

He gestures to each weapon, clearly un-silenced. Malcom rolls his eyes annoyed. Eddy waves a grenade in his face.
EDDY (CONT'D)
How about these silenced exploding rocks, huh?
MALCOM
Man, silence your damn mouth! Eyes open!
Just then, there's a loud screech; the three pause to listen. Weapons drawn, Donny leads the charge towards the sound, until the pair finds the source of the noise behind a large boulder. Malcolm and Eddy make a face-Donny's stays stagnant.
The CRAZY is a young woman, naked and covered in a pool of blood. Stubs of foot flesh are raked in sand. Despite draining vitality, she manages to crawl towards Donny, muttering expletives along the way.
CRAZY
(angrily screaming) YOU...YOU! Fucker! I'll kill you!
EDDY

Uh, hi.

CRAZY

(Screams louder)

I'll kill you! All of you!

MALCOLM

(sighs)
Is there anything on her?

EDDY

Well I think there was at some point.
The Crazy shrieks again, adding swears towards Eddy. Donny breaks off, beginning to search for their mission's clues. The Crazy yells and reaches for his leg.
EDDY (CONT'D)
Scuze' us sweetie, men at work here.
Eddy carries her off by the hair; she screeches again, this time in wallowing pain. Donny gives the Crazy another look while Malcolm and Donny circle around her, preparing for interrogation.

DONNY

What are we looking for again?
MALCOLM

(To Donny)
Two bottles of pills and a pistol. That's what she took from inventory.
Donny simply grunts in response as they begin interrogating the Crazy.

MALCOLM (CONT'D)
(To Crazy)
Okay. Let's start at the beginning...
Donny's gaze starts with a trail of blood, sprinkled with shell casings-either a struggle or attack. Donny follows the blood trail, leading into a small tunnel at the base of a rock wall. He heaves a breath, then kneels down to observe. His look is catatonic as he slowly peers further into the hole.
Within an instant, a cat claw swipes at his face. Donny is thrown back, howling in pain. Eddy and Malcolm tear themselves away from the Crazy, running to Donny's side, weapons brandished.


MALCOLM (CONT'D)
Suppress it, go, go!
The two unload their guns into the small crevice as Donny holds his bloodied face and shakes.
The two continually fire and apparently miss. The wild animal is still growling. Donny grunts and lifts himself up.
He grabs a grenade off of Eddy's belt, then pulls the pin. Malcolm just catches his maneuver; Donny tosses it simply, as if discarding a harmless apple he picked clean.
MALCOLM (CONT'D)
Donny, wha-GET DOWN, SHIT!
Eddy and Malcolm are the only ones to throw themselves aside. Donny stands still. The grenade explodes, caking out a cloud of dust which shoots at Donny. He breathes heavily, listening to the dying cries of the animal inside. The other two stare at their comrade. The Crazy laughs maniacally, witnessing the chaos behind them.
MALCOLM (CONT'D)
(Heavy breathing) Donny-what- are you fucking...crazy?
Donny whips around, his pistol aimed in Malcolm's general direction. The two stare, with Malcolm's worried eyes and Donny's bloodshot glare intently meeting.
Donny lets out a shot...Malcolm winces, un-hit. The Crazie's laughter turns to a struggled gurgle. Then two more bullets exit Donny's gun while he walks. The Crazie's laughter ends, but Donny keeps walking, keeps firing, until his empty gun chamber clicks over her corpse. Silence.
EDDY
(Heavy breathing, smiling at Malcolm)
Still think we're the silent type?
Malcolm lowers his head while Donny stares off into the distance.

EXT CITY GATE, MIDDAY
Donny, Malcolm, and Eddy walk towards an outpost jutting out from a large city wall. Two GUARDS, dressed similarly to Donny and his crew, halt them at the outpost.

GUARD 1, a stern faced elderly man, casually draws his pistol and aims at the trio.
GUARD 1
(official, yet blaze)
Stop. What is the happiest memory you can recall?
Donny steps forward, his face bloodied and bandaged.
DONNY
My daughter's fifth birthday. She dropped her cake and was laughing.
Donny finishes with a small smile. Guard 1 simply nods, then motions him to deposit his items in a nearby basket. Donny sets a personal item, a small thrift bag, near Guard
2 for inspection. Malcolm steps forward.
GUARD 1
The happiest memory you can recall?

MALCOLM
My wife said, 'I do', at the altar.
Malcolm's delivery is also practiced like Donny's; the guard motions for him to deposit his weapons as well. Eddy steps forward.

EDDY
(Fast)
Okay Brian,(GUARD 1), I think I've narrowed it down between Tammy and Elena. Tammy was my first, but Elena had a friend with one of those "'lezzie'" phases, ya know? Anyway, she and I-
GUARD 1(BRIAN)
Basket. Go.
Eddy joins the trio, beginning to deposit his array of armor and armaments within the basket. A radio squawks near Guard 2. He answers it, then turns to Donny.
GUARD 2
Donny, Dictator Steeler wants to see you in his office.
DONNY

Wants to? Or needs to?

GUARD 1
Whichever one gets your ass in his office the quickest.
Guard 2 gives a nervous shrug to Donny. Donny sighs. He's dressed now in civilian clothing, a plain white T-shirt and jeans. He grabs his item bag and makes for the main gate.

INT OUTSIDE DICTATOR STEELS HALLWAY, MIDDAY
Donny shuffles down the hallway, his item bag clucking against his back and shoulders. His face lights up to a yet unseen warmth.
Sitting on a bench down the hallway is his daughter FELICITY.
FELICITY, an 8 year old bundle of unkempt red hair, green eyes, and freckles, sprints toward her father for a hug.
FELICITY
(Giggling, breathless) Daddy, daddy, daddy! Daddy I missed you where'd you go?! What happened to your face?
Donny pulls away, his beaming smile still surviving.
DONNY
It's just a scratch, girlie. And I already told you, they sent me treasure hunting again. Here, look what I found.
Donny presents her with the bag; upon opening it, Felicity discovers an array of older books, toys, and candies. She jumps up and down, her excitement unbounded.
MISS TRUCE
Felicity! I told you to stay seated.
Donny and Felicity turn to see an elderly woman, MISS TRUCE, appear down the opposite end of the hall. Felicity grunts and pouts, hoping her father will come to her aid.
DONNY
Hey, go sit down, F-bomb. I'll be right back.

Felicity pulls a small smile before taking her place on the bench. Miss Truce and Donny huddle together to talk.

MISS TRUCE
Are you still calling her that? I told you, those nicknames can manifest in illicit behaviors.
DONNY
Well, she likes it, it's fun.
The two again look at Felicity, struggling to open a sucker wrapper with her teeth.
MISS TRUCE
And are you continuing to give her sweets? Sugar makes girls like her...rowdy.
DONNY
Hey, she likes candy, okay? She's going through a lot. It makes her happy.

MISS TRUCE
(Aggravated)
This isn't about a happy
lifestyle, Mr. Felt, it's about a healthy one!
Miss Truce sighs, then motions down the hall towards Felicity.

MISS TRUCE (CONT'D)
She had another outburst today. She hit two boys-
DONNY

Did they start it?
MISS TRUCE

It doesn't matter.
DONNY

Did they start it?
MISS TRUCE

(huffs)

Yes. Light teasing. But she punched them, Donny. That behavior is uncalled for. At her age, this is a manifestation of a very damaged psyche. I have the authority to have her-
(angered whisper)

You won't do shit. She's my
daughter!
Miss Truce saunters back, shocked, but not intimidated.
MISS TRUCE

I see the psychological damage might be hereditary. Even so, children take after their parents. For her sake, show some restraint, Mr. Felt.
Miss Truce exits. Donny sighs, then walks over to sit with Felicity.

INT OFFICE, MIDDAY
Donny enters DICTATOR STEELER's office. Steeler sits in a wide office chair to accommodate his large frame and 'humble' southern ego.
STEELER

Donny! Come right in boy, have a seat!

DONNY
Thanks John.
John Steeler begins assembling drinks for the two of them. Felicity can be heard humming just outside the door.
Donny's head follows the noise and he smiles. Steeler grunts, vying for attention.
STEELER
Sorry you got pestered by that ol' crabapple outside. You know she used to be my principal before all this. Never missed a day. I don't think an apocalypse can even keep that woman down.
Donny gives a light snicker. Steeler sticks Donny's drink in front of him with a frown.
STEELER (CONT'D)
One of those 'dark humor' types, hmmm? Well, it might suit you, giving your...situation. How is that lil' fireball any-how?

She's fine, just...a little tired. I've been trying to get her to take more naps, ya know?
STEELER
Hmmm. How about you, how you doin' son?

DONNY

(pauses)
I-well, I dunno, I'm just-
Between a quick swig, Steeler slams his glass on the wooden desk.

STEELER
I'll stop you right there, son, cause' you've started the sentence wrong already. You say bad thoughts, it means you been thinkin' bad thoughts, hmmm?
Steeler begins pacing around the room. He then pauses by an open window.

STEELER (CONT'D)
Y'know I don't envy your position, Donny. I never was a parent; can't imagine what it's like with your girl. All I remember before The Craze was all these doctors and their miracle pills for girls like her. Sons of bitches made some just to keep em' in their seats.
Now look at em'! Got the whole world killin' each other and stealin' our supplies!
Steeler takes a swig of his drink and sighs. His gaze falls on a portrait of a husky, bearded man hanging on the wall.
STEELER (CONT'D)
The Doc, he'd know what to do. He's the only one of those brainy cooks(coo-ks) worth a damn, in my opinion.
Steeler gives a grunt and shakes his head.
STEELER (CONT'D)
Eh, say' lah-vee,(intentional mispronounced), eh son?
(MORE)


STEELER (CONT'D)
Time for a subject change, your startin' to bring me down with this nonsense. How'd that retrieval mission go, by the way?
Donny fiddles with his bandage.
DONNY
Oh...fine. She wasn't carrying any stolen pills...we couldn't find the gun, either...But we made it out okay.

STEELER
Well, there ya' go! An upside! See Donny, that's the kind of thinkin' that keeps us sane. We don't need
no pills tellin' us how to feel.
It's a decision, ya' see, and happy is always the right choice. Happy, happy, happy, ya' understand?
Donny nods, shrinking down in his chair. Steeler walks over, then leans on the edge of his desk towards Donny.
STEELER (CONT'D)
And Donny your girl being an Incidental...well, it means she's spilt milk son. No use crying over it, am I right?
Donny is frozen in sadness, staring blankly ahead.

FLASHBACK- INT MALL SHOPPING CENTER, FOOD COURT, EVENING
Donny holds a similar, sad stare, a little confusion mixed in as well. He watches a food court TV perched in a corner. According to the sliding news tag underneath, the president was in another scandal, Healthcorp's stocks are through the roof this quarter...but the night's top story is front in center.

NEWS ANCHORWOMAN
...over 99 children dead at Saint Perdaeu middle school. Danny, can you believe this?
NEWS ANCHORMAN(DANNY)
(phased)
No Tammy, this is absolutely
horrible...unbelievable. What number are we even at this week?


NEWS ANCHORWOMAN(TAMMY)
Eight, I believe, this is the eighth incident of violence this week, not counting the Houston murders...which we are still waiting on updates for.
NEWS ANCHORMAN(DANNY)
Alright, well we'll give you all more as this develops. Coming up next we have Dr. Elizabeth Velpour on the show. She addresses some concern over health risks posed at Healthcorp products...

KAITLYN
Donny, look what Felicity's got for you!
Donny snaps out of his catatonic stare to see his wife KAITLYN, holding an infant Felicity and a crudely constructed Build-a-Bear. Donny pulls her in for a kiss.
DONNY
The stitching is kind of fucked up.

KAITLYN
(laughing)
Yeah well they stuck me with an infant bear. It's like 900 times harder to put the fuzz in.
Felicity likes it, don't you sweetie?
As Kaitlyn pulls the bear in for her daughter, Felicity chucks the bear to the ground, giggling plenty. Donny and Kaitlyn laugh; Donny picks up the bear and the three walk out the food court down the mall's aisle. Everything is a scene of picturesque happiness. At the top of an escalator, a gruff, disheveled man announces himself.
CRAZED MAN
(shouting)
THEY'RE KILLING US ALL! THEY WON'T LISTEN! NONE OF OF US ARE LISTENING! NONE!
The entirety of the mall's crowd is silent, their eyes quickly darting toward this scary intrusion into their lives. The Crazed Man tugs at a shoulder strap, bringing a strapped assault rifle to the front of his chest. The

shopping center freezes in terror-until the man opens fire at a couple slowly ascending on the escalator.
Widespread panic ensues. The Crazed Man has every line of sight covered; he's dispersing bullets with deadly precision at civilians. No one seems safe, no vantage point provides adequate protection.
8 already lay dead; the Crazed Man shoots two teenagers crying in agony, adding to the list. He snarls, wiping sweat and tears from his bloodshot eyes, then reloads.
At this point, Donny and Kaitlyn are cowering behind a cell phone kiosk for cover. Donny pants heavily; Kaitlyn whines hysterically, watching bloodied bodies cry out and drop as the bullets whiz past.
KAITLYN
(screams)
Augh! Jesus, oh god, no, no!
The glass surrounding the kiosk shatters as a bullet clips Kaitlyn's shoulder. She drops Felicity to the ground with a worrying "thump". Felicity begins to cry more severely as her mother wails beside her. Donny stares, shell-shocked.
CRAZED MAN
(Screeching)
THEY CAN'T LISTEN! THEY'RE POISONING US ALL. WE GOTTA KEEP OURSELVES CLEAN! I NEED...TO CLEAN US!
He fires again, catching Kaitlyn with another bullet. She now goes still. Donny's eyes are wet, his lips quivering as he watches his child crying beside her mother. The Crazed Man's footsteps approach. Donny impulsively lies down beside his wife.
Donny tries to contain his snivels as the Crazed Man enters beside his child.

CRAZED MAN (CONT'D)
No...they can't!...no... They got the children...the fucking children!
Donny opens his eyes; they clench shut quickly as a magazine drops beside his nose. Donny chooses this moment to spring into action.

Now standing, he hurls a fist at the Crazed Man, landing on his cheek. The man howls in pain, landing beside the shattered kiosk.

CRAZED MAN (CONT'D) NO! WORKING FOR THEM! THE PILL PEOPLE...HAVE YOU!
Before he can grip his assault rifle, Donny also throws a hand on the weapon. His other fist pounds the man's face furiously. Harder, faster. A few punches miss as the Crazed Man bucks his head about, scattering a few phones which screech when stimulated. Donny still punches, his bloodied fists worsening as the Crazed Man's screams slowly die off. Blood pools around the edge of his neck-it seems Donny was puncturing a few holes by forcing his head into the shattered glass.
Security guards now enter, weapons drawn, surrounding the killer. Donny is still throwing punches as they close in.

PRESENT TENSE-INT BEDROOM, NIGHT
Donny lies asleep in his covers. His eyes twitch-there's a crunching sound repeating outside. It's paced, deliberate. Tiny girl grunts echo from outside-to which, Donny springs up, alert and awake.
DONNY
(calls out) Felicity? F-bomb? Hey...
Donny hustles around the house, checking room to room. No bed covers, table undersides, or hamper baskets house his daughter. He stops to shout after checking behind the living room couch.

DONNY (CONT'D)
Felicity! Answer me!
There's a sharp ting! outside. Donny finally confronts the front door and crosses his lawn.
Felicity is right outside, swinging a bat at the earth wildly.

DONNY (CONT'D)
Felicity! Hey! What are-
Donny gawks at the scene as he gets a closer look.
Felicity doesn't stop her action-which appears to be caving in a man's skull with an aluminum baseball bat.
DONNY (CONT'D)
(whispers, pained) Felicity...

Felicity gives a final swing and only then stops to look into her father's eyes. She looks horrifying, hair even more unkempt, with a familiar, Crazed stare.
FELICITY
Daddy...daddy no, he...he had a knife...he tried coming in here, you were sleeping, Daddy!
DONNY
(begins to cry) Felicity...sweetie, no...no...
Just then, a gaggle of neighbors exit their homes to get a look. There's hushed whispers, a few cries of shock.
NEIGHBOR
Call the guards! She's a Crazy!
Donny leaps upward, his tear filled eyes darting in disbelief. Two men come over.
OTHER NEIGHBOR 1
Here, get her legs, I got the bat.
Felicity growls and swings at them, whiffing the air. The two men fault a dodge or two, then thrust back in to grab her.

FELICITY
(screeching)
NO, DADDY, NO, DON'T LET THEM TAKE ME! I'M NOT CRAZY, I'M NOT, I SWEAR!
Felicity kicks as they carry her off. Donny aggressively tries to break the two men neighbors apart; another pair of neighbors restrain him as well.
DONNY
Stop, it was self defense! She didn't mean to! Stop! STOP! She's not crazy!
FELICITY DADDY! HELP, DADDY!
Donny's struggle lessens as the neighbors continue to drag him away. He watches his daughter, kicking and screaming wildly as she's carried off.

INT. CRAZY HIVE ROOM NIGHT
A frail YOUNG CRAZY sprints with determination down a darkened corridor. He is light clothing is scarred and scratched; bloodshot eyes flinch as he turns a corner, as if his disillusioned mind half expects to hit it. Finally, he reaches a pair of doors that dwarf him in size.
Cluttered noise barrels from the other side.
He struggles to fling them open, then rushes inside to the chaos.
Wall to wall, Crazies are seen yelling and hollering to each other, a few to no one at all. One Crazy in the hive slaps another, who growls and throws a punch back-it's as if violence is passed for simple greetings between them. All the while, three HOODED FIGURES sit on high from their thrones, watching the contained spectacle with interest.
The sprinting Young Crazy is disinterested with the rabble, approaching the throne and spilling his guts with all his might.

YOUNG CRAZY (SCREAMING, FOR ALL TO HEAR)
We have her! We have her! A little killer, she is!
The Crazies all grow silent and turn to look at the three Hooded Figures rise from their chairs. The middle hooded figure, (HOOD 1), is the first to speak in snarled, vile tone.

HOOD 1

(demeaning)
Have who? Who do we have?
YOUNG CRAZY

The...girl...little red headed girl! She killed! She's...
HOOD 1

(mumbled, mostly to self)
...A Crazy. Felicity has gone crazy.

HOOD 2
I knew it! I knew that little shit wasn't a Happy one!

YOUNG CRAZY
NO! She killed Sam, with a baseball bat! Bashed his skull in like...
A few Crazies cheer and shout as the Young Crazy pantomimes the brutality with his fists.
HOOD 3
Sam was MY scout! If she killed Sam then-THEN SHE'S NOT JUST A HAPPY ONE, SHE'S A DEAD HAPPY ONE!
There's even more cheers for Hood 3's sentiments. Hood 1 snarls and throws up his hands.
HOOD 1 IDIOTS! SHUT UP!
The room once again hushes down, a few jittered whispers sprinkled about.

HOOD 1 (CONT'D)
The girl was an Incidental, for a long time! If she's just turned...that means others were there...to keep her happy. Hrmmm.
HOOD 3
So what then?! Do we kill her or not?!
A few crazies screech and murmur their agreement.
HOOD 2
How do we know she's turned for sure? What if she's still a happy one?
A few more crazies frantically stomp their feet and hiss at the sentence.
Hood 1 is meanwhile frantically scratching his fingers, as if trying to brush off dried paint chips that aren't there.
HOOD 1
No! The girl must turn...however possible! We cannot allow another one of those...Happies in our midst! I think we might have a way...

EXT. OUTSIDE ADMINISTRATIVE/JAILHOUSE BUILDING, MORNING
Donny crouches behind a thick layer of shrubbery outside the jailhouse; he was quick enough to avoid the eyesight of two passing guards. Donny watches them cross the yard, visibly relieved and anxious to continue sneaking across behind them.
He crosses, the entrance to a shabby, cruel looking jailhouse just ahead. Unfortunately, he hasn't acquired enough stealth to go unnoticed- Malcolm spots Donny, walking side by side with Dictator Steeler. Steeler shakes his head.

STEELER
Oh don't tell me I gotta' lock up another one. That's the fifth Incidental this month.
DONNY
No, no please I was so...so close.
Donny falters, looking like he's about to collapse from dramatic shock. Malcolm quickly hurries to catch him.
MALCOLM
Donny, it's okay, man. I'm here.
STEELER
We know you're here, Malcolm, you were scheduled to be. Donny, you were not. I told you to come by tomorrow, boy!
DONNY
Please, John...Mr. Steeler, please! Some people they just snap, they just turn...Felicity needs me.

STEELER
And I need you to follow orders or I'll lock you up with her!
MALCOLM
John, come on man. I'll watch him. He's in and out in 5, I promise.
Steeler seems furious...but waves his hand in the direction of the jailhouse.

STEELER

(grumbled, angry)
5 fuckin' minutes...can't believe this. I need a drink.

Steeler begins to walk away. Malcolm pats Donny and ushers him inside the jailhouse.

INT. JAILHOUSE, MORNING
Donny and Malcolm walk down the jailhouse walls-although an actual jail it most certainly wasn't. The somber darkness of the room is contrasted with happy pictures of cartoon dogs painted along the foyer. The dog kennels bump occasionally, containing a few unhinged human prisoners.
These prisoners all stare at Donny in awe, silently.
Felicity was designated an entire play area in the far right corner. Although spacious for her size, she still sits imprisoned behind very crudely fashioned sheet metal. Donny stops a few yards away, watching her. His daughter is leaned up against the back wall, tossing a chewed up rubber ball against her bars, catching it, then dully repeating the process.

MALCOLM
She's been like this since we dropped her off. Isn't saying anything.

Donny nodded, heaving a sigh. Then, walks over to his daughter.
DONNY
Felicity...
Felicity perks up and crawls over to her father. Her fingers prick out along the cells openings and Donny lightly grasps them. Felicity's eyes are open and wild; she searches her father's face.
FELICITY

Daddy?
DONNY

Yeah F-bomb. I'm here.
FELICITY
(breaks down, sobbing panting)
Daddy, I had to! I had to do it! He was outside the window, he did this...you were sleeping, you didn't see it!
Felicity is frantically pantomiming someone slitting her throat open.

DONNY
I believe you, Felicity. I'm here.

EXT. JAILHOUSE YARD, MORNING.
Donny exits with Malcolm to find Dictator Steeler outside, drink in hand.

STEELER
She tell you much?
DONNY
Only that it's not her fault. I believe her.
STEELER
Yeah well I wanna go with numbers on this one, Don. Four witnesses say Felicity was screaming
outside, nothin' from the guy she killed. Our guards found no weapon either, so motive is kind of blank at this point.
MALCOLM
Who's the guy she...you know.
STEELER
His name was Sam Bertle. He's got a wife, she says he's been taking nightly jogs to relieve some stress. Didn't know him to be a harmful man.
Donny shakes his head and shuffles.
DONNY
Sir, I know she did this for a reason. Felicity would never-
STEELER
That's not the point Donny! The point is no one is surprised by an Incidental acting out, 'cept you! Now a man is dead 'cuz of her! We can't let her go off the handle again!
Steeler pulls Donny in close. Donny looks angered at his response.

STEELER (CONT'D)
...and who knows if her father is next, hmmm? Look, I got a proposition for ya'. You may not like it, but it's what the other Dictators and I have come to. You go find the Doc for Felicity and yourself. Get better, Donny. Then bring him back here for Felicity...or else.
Donny turns to look at the Jailhouse, where someone is heard screaming inside.
DONNY
I-I can't leave her! She's a little girl, John, she needs me!
MALCOLM
John, come on. The Coo Coo Nest is a big place, we wouldn't even know where to-

STEELER
That's all I got for ya. We'll hold her in here while you're gone. Otherwise, we're convening again for another vote-I don't think your gunna like the results, Don.
Donny looks to be on the verge of tears. Steeler shakes his head.

STEELER (CONT'D)
You got a week, here and back. Malcolm, get him outta here.
Donny and Malcolm exit the premises. Donny pants heavily, his fists shaking; his behavior appears to be anything from anger, sadness, or a variety of other negative emotions.

EXT. COURTHOUSE, MIDDDAY
Eddy sits on a park bench next to a scantily clad PROSTITUTE. Eddy has a worried look, watching the front doors of the Courthouse. The woman huffs in aggravation.
PROSTITUTE

So, can I go now?
EDDY

Hold on, he'll be out any minute.

PROSTITUTE
I'm banging this other guy? I thought you paid for you.
EDDY

I did.
PROSTITUTE

So? Why am I still here?
EDDY
Well I don't know exactly how long they'll be. Do you think that
port-o-potty over there holds us both?
The Prostitute makes a disgusted face and rises to walk away. Eddy rises as well, seeing Donny and Malcolm walk out a side entrance instead of the front. He takes one more look at the Prostitute, shrugs, and crosses over to Donny.
EDDY (CONT'D)
Hey, Donny, how'd it go?
DONNY
You're a shit lookout. That's how it went.
Malcolm rolls his eyes and backs a little further away from Donny.

MALCOLM
(TO Donny)
Look man, I'd love to help you but...we have orders. I'm sorry.
EDDY
Okay bad-cop, so a jailbreak is out of the question. What's the plan Don? Is Felicity...?
DONNY
She's...I don't know. Steeler wants me to find The Doc, see if he can treat her.
Donny pushes past the two, stomping down the street.
EDDY
(to Malcolm)
The Doc? That guy might as well be living with the Tooth Fairy! What happens if he doesn't-

MALCOLM

-the Council.
EDDY

Ohhhhhh...
Eddy and Malcolm quickly jog over to join Donny as he continues to aggressively stride down the street.
MALCOLM
Donny, where you going?
Donny strolls faster, entering a marketplace with a bustling crowd around him. Malcom and Eddy aren't deterred, shoving past people to talk.
EDDY
Donny, come on man, just talk to us! Where you going?
DONNY
(sharply) Home.
MALCOLM

Why, man?
DONNY

I'm getting Felicity out of there, one way or another.
EDDY
Whoah, Donny! I'm not a buzzkiller usually, but you're gunna get either buzzed or killed when you walk back there all Rambo!
MALCOLM
Donny, he's right man! Donny stop!
Malcolm finally grabs his arms and pins him against a nearby shop wall. Donny shoves him back.


         Get off!
         DONNY
         
         MALCOLM
         Donny, they're          gunna lock you up right beside Felicity? Is that what you want?
         DONNY
         Yes, I do! I need to be with her, she needs her          dad!

EDDY
Donny, she needs him to pull his head out his ass! Look Donny...If she's dangerous, maybe it's good she's alone, right? Kind of like a big, time-out behavior adjustment thing. We can go find this Doc guy and-

DONNY
No...I can't leave her...no...
Donny begins to stumble down the street. His eyes catch a selection of the crowd, moving as a unit to get a better look around the commotion. One accidentally bumps into his shoulder.

DONNY (CONT'D)
Hey! Watch-
Donny can't finish, not after seeing the sight in the market square.
Part of the crowd is dragging an elderly man and his belongings, a paintbrush and an artist's paint board. The crowd treats him more harshly than Felicity, throwing punches and pushing him to the center where he is yelled at.

CROWD MEMBER 1

There's children living around here, you sick bastard!
CROWD MEMBER 2

Throw him in the Coo Coo's Nest!
CROWD MEMBER 3

Kill him now! He's too dangerous!

Donny stares awestruck; he sees everything in slow motion, a blurred re-occurrence of last night. The townspeople pick up the man and give him a few good kicks. He is too weak and too outnumbered to defend from any of them. Donny suddenly rushes into the crowd, tearing the man's aggressors off him.

DONNY
Stop! STOP! What did he do? WHAT DID HE DO?
The crowd grows silent, as Donny stands between them and the old man. That is, until one young female speaks up.

YOUNG FEMALE
He drew THAT, last night! Look at it!
Donny does look at it, placed across the street and taking up an entire building wall.
It's an equivocal piece. Strewn across the dark blacks, reds, and yellows is a herd of person's bleeding and suffering under a score of boots trampling overhead. The depictions of victims vary, from children, women, men, some naked, some clothed only by other bodies piled on top. In the center of a piece kneels a man, his visage shrouded under a combat helmet. He appears to be rummaging one of the corpses.
Donny's eyes are glued and wide-eyed to the painting. A large shopkeeper tries to snap him out of it.
SHOPKEEPER
No sane person draws something like that. He was outside this morning, mumbling to himself. Sure sounded like Crazy talk, if I've ever heard it.

The crowd murmurs in agreement. Donny kneels down to the man's level.

DONNY
Why'd you paint that? What's it mean?
The old man sheepishly peers past Donny towards the crowd-Donny is the only one holding a sympathetic look.
OLD MAN
It's...it's my unit. Back in Mai Lai-

YOUNG FEMALE
What the hell is Mai Lai? He's talking Crazy agai-
DONNY
SHHHH! ...go ahead.
OLD MAN
In Vietnam, they had us do a recon mission. They were good people...that boy...name was Chu Hai, I think. He was my friend.
Donny takes another look in the center-Chu Hai's face is the most disturbed, most vividly drawn of them all.

DONNY

What are you doing? With Chu Hai?
OLD MAN

(begins to cry)
I'm...I'm saying...I'm sorry. He had a necklace...I was trying to give it back...to his mother...but she...she was...
The old man weeps. Donny slowly brings him to his feet and begins to usher him out of the crowd's grasp.
SHOPKEEPER
Hey, where you going with him? That man is unstable!
DONNY
(Turns head, meets Shopkeeper's eyes)

If you can't look at a fucking painting without wanting to kill a man, you're all unstable. Move.
Donny continues to push out the crowd with the man weeping on his shoulder. Eddy and Malcom are waiting for him, witnessing everything.
DONNY (CONT'D)
(To Eddy and Malcolm) I'm getting the Doc. For
Felicity...for everybody. You two coming with?
MALCOLM
(solemnly)
I...yeah, I guess so. Anything for you, man.

EDDY

Hell yeah, let's go make a house call!
The two help Donny carry the old man down the street.

INT. DONNY'S HOUSE, THEN MALCOLM, AND EDDY'S
(Simultaneous action, split screen and quick cuts)

At desolate neighborhood signpost, Donny splits off from Malcolm and Eddy, who themselves split off from each other.

Donny grabs his bag and armored uniform on his bedside; before he rushes out the door, a photograph of Felicity is given a smooch.
Malcolm is already dressed, standing by his front door ready to leave. LUCRETIA, a tall, thin curly headed woman he calls his wife, enters to kiss him goodbye.
MALCOLM
I'm coming back.
LUCRETIA
(weakly smiles) You better.
They embrace one last time before Malcolm exits.
Eddy is loosely dressed in a wife beater and pair of underpants. Wading through a small puddle of beer cans around his bed, he stops at a mirror to admire his clothing selections. Either a black T-shirt saying "I'm the
Bomb-.com" with plain jeans, or a bright red T-shirt with the band "Sex Pistols" and a pair of brown cargo shorts.
He tries out the second outfit, only to discover the shirt is far too tiny and the shorts have a very noticeable tear around the crotch area. Eddy tries closing his legs to entrap the hole to closing-the pants rip further.
EDDY
Okay, fine.
He changes then leaves with the first array of clothing and a small backpack.

EXT. CITY GATE, AFTERNOON
Donny, Malcolm, and Eddy approach a Shale city's gate; two GUARDS and Dictator Steeler wait by the opening. Next to them is an assortment of equipment.
STEELER
(to Donny)
You're doin' the right thing here, boy. Good luck.
Donny simply tears off his bandage from earlier and tosses it to the side.

MALCOLM

Is this what we get?

Malcolm motions to the crate of equipment. It sports 2 shotguns, a pistol, water canisters for each of them, 3 sandwiches, and a tiny bottle of aspirin.
STEELER

Yup. Should last y'all through the week. I wanna see it all accounted for when I get back.
Eddy begins grabbing his share and waves a sandwich about.
EDDY

This too, big guy?
STEELER

Yeah, if you can. Smart ass.
Eddy reaches into his backpack pocket; he winks, then opens a beer.

DONNY
John. Can you keep an eye on Felicity for me? Please? Tell her I love her...and I'll be back?
STEELER
No problem, Donny. You just focus on finding that Doc. We'll hold off on Felicity...but you hurry now, ya hear?
MALCOLM
Gotcha. We'll tell him you said hello.

STEELER
Eh, just tell him you need him. Doc and I, we didn't leave on that great of terms. Just bring him back okay for me, boys.
The three of them strap their equipment to various sleeves and pouches, then make for the front gate. The two GUARDS on standby step aside to open them into the Coo Coo's Nest.
Donny turns back as the gates close behind him and sighs...then jogs to walk with Eddy and Malcolm.


© Copyright 2018 AmericanWonton (americanwonton at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/2154332-CraziesOpening-Act