*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/2038772-Unicorns-Blood
Rated: E · Fiction · Fantasy · #2038772
A Unicorn Hunter learns a valuable mistake after it is too late.
WC 2000

Prompt 2



Running down the overgrown dirt path when a dark form darted across just ahead him, Sylvan quickly stopped. Nervously, with shaking hands he reached his had behind his back, Grabbing an arrow from his quiver, he notched his bow and moved stealthily towards where he saw the shadow. Whatever it was, it had disappeared. Wiping the sweat from his brow, he uncorked his flask, drank some water and poured a bit on his head.

Sitting down within the shade of the trees, he checked his bow and arrows. The string had already broken once. "Hopefully, the knot will hold", He only had three arrows left, the others lost from wild shots or broken from hitting trees.

Taking off his boots, Sylvan massaged his aching feet. "Why didn't I get another pair?"he asked himself as he stared mournfully at his boots. There were holes worn in them, with his toes starting to show through.

Reaching into his backpack, he pulled out a can of food. However, he changed his mind and put it back. He only had enough to last one or two more days. If he didn't find a town with a marketplace, or at least a home owner willing to sell some food, he would have to use the arrows for hunting. However, he did not want to use them for this purpose. He had already wasted a bunch and needed the remaining ones for his quest. With his lack of skill at archery, it would probably take all three.

Wanting to make sure, Sylvan reached into the bottom of his backpack to find the silver cup safely wrapped in cloth, if lost or stolen, he could never complete the quest.

Sylvan's quest was for unicorn's blood. It could not be from just any unicorn; it must be from a black unicorn. Once he had slain the unicorn, he must pour the blood into the silver cup and drink from the cup.

Sylvan realized that finding a black unicorn would be difficult-they were rare, with only a few seen in the forest. The thought of drinking the blood made him slightly shudder. However, the rewards were great.

Eternal life was what he wanted.

**********

"I love living," Sylvan told a cleric in town a short time ago. I do not want to die. I have so many things I want to do. I wish I could live forever."

"Unicorn's blood is the answer," the cleric replied.

"What does unicorn's blood have to do with this?"....

"The black unicorn has magical qualities in its blood. When you slay the unicorn, pour the blood into a silver cup and drink it, you will be rewarded with eternal life. However, be careful what you wish for," said the cleric wisely. "Sometimes you get what you want. Yet, it may not be what you truly wanted."

After speaking to the cleric, Sylvan knew he had to hunt for and slay a black unicorn. Then after drinking the blood, he would be able to live forever. He ran back to his room and grabbed what money he had.



"I do not have enough money to buy one of these," Sylvan thought to himself as he looked at the silver cups on the shelf at the marketplace. "Even the smallest one is too expensive." Stroking his chin, he stood there thinking. He had already bought his arrows and was now at the marketplace getting food and supplies. "I know what to do."

He turned to the shopkeeper. "Sir, I just remember. I need to get a drinking flask. Do you have any?" He knew where they were in the market. Luckily, he forgot that he would need to get one.

"Of course, I will get you one."

As soon as the shopkeeper had turned his back, Sylvan reached out his hand, grabbed one of the cups and put it in his pocket.

"Here you go sir," the shopkeeper returned with a flask. "Are you going to be traveling far?"

"I am just doing some hunting. I may be gone for a few days."

"May I interest you in a new pair of boots? Yours look like they are getting worn."

"Oh no thank you. Mine will do."

Wanting to get out of the market before the shopkeeper noticed the missing cup; Sylvan quickly paid for his supplies and left the shop.

**********

Now sitting in the shade, Sylvan regretted not buying a new pair of boots. Rubbing his feet, he thought he would be only gone for a couple of days. Still he had seen no signs of the black unicorns. He should have seen at least one by now.

"What am I doing wrong?" Sylvan asked himself, running his fingers through his black curly hair.

He sat and thought some more. A slight breeze was moving through the stillness of the day's heat. It was as if the breeze was singing to him.

"Wait a minute," Sylvan said. "Somebody is singing!"

Sylvan listened and certainly heard somebody singing. Well, it really was not singing; just a person, sounded like a female, going "La, La, La! La, La La!"

The person was singing the words over and over. Sylvan walked through the trees towards the sound of the singing. He came upon a stream and, there filling a water bottle, was a beautiful young woman singing, "La, La, La! La, La, La!"

"Oh," she said jumping up, placing her hand over her heart. "I did not know anyone was here!"

"I am so sorry," Sylvan said. "I did not mean to scare you. Do you live near here?"

"Yes." My parents and I live just down the road. Come and have something to eat."

"I will carry these for you," Sylvan said, picking up the water jugs. After the days traveling in the forest, these felt as heavy as boulders. Yet, he wanted to prove that he was a man to this woman.

"What is your name? My name is Sylvan."

"I'm Leelah."

"Maybe I should forget about the unicorn quest," Sylvan thought to himself, "and think about a new one. Leelah is beautiful; maybe we can get married."

"So how long have you been traveling in the forest," Leelah interrupted his thoughts.

"Almost three weeks."

"Here we are," said Leelah, when they came up to a small shack. "Come in, my mother is cooking a roast. She always makes extra in case we have visitors."

"Do you get many visitors?"

"We get a few each week. It is just people passing through from one town to the other."

"Why are you living in the forest? There are not other families living nearby, are there?"

"We just want a simple life. We hunt and grow our own produce. We do not like the bustle in the towns. We only go there to sell our produce and buy supplies. Come inside and meet my father."



"So what brings you to this part of the forest," Leelah's father asked.

Sylvan had just finished his second helping of roast. He leaned back in his chair, satisfied. He had not eaten this good in days.

"I have been looking for a black unicorn. So far I have not seen any sign of them."

"Oh I love unicorns!" Leelah exclaimed delightedly. "They always come up to me as I sing when I am fishing."

"Of course!" Sylvan said to himself. "Unicorns only come up to maidens!"

"I would like to see a unicorn," Sylvan said. "Maybe you can show me one."

"That will have to wait until morning," Leelah's mother said. "It is getting dark outside. We have an extra room you can spend the night in."

The next morning, after a meal of eggs and ham, Leelah and Sylvan set out. She was carrying a fishing pole.

"Unicorns always come to me when I am fishing. I am not sure why, but when my father is with me, they never show up."

"Maybe they are attracted by your beautiful singing. Then maybe, they just like to approach one person. If I want to see them, I better hide in the trees."

"Are you a hunter?" Leelah asked, indicating Sylvan's bow and arrows.

Sylvan had not told Leelah what he had been planning to do. He was not sure if she would be willing to help him if she knew. Yet, once he got the unicorn's blood, he was going to offer some to her. They both could have eternal marriage bliss. He planned to ask her father as soon as they got back.

"I do a little hunting," Sylvan replied, "mostly for food." In a way he was telling the truth. Unicorn's blood can give him the same amount of nourishment as a piece of meat.

They came to the stream and sat down on a boulder. She cast her line into the water and, while waiting for the fish to bite, Leelah started singing, "La, La, and La! La, La La!"

"How long does it take for a unicorn to show up?" Sylvan asked after a few minutes.

"Usually after I start singing."

Sylvan stood up. "I am going to go over there and see if I can hunt something for your supper; to pay you and your parents back for your hospitality."

He walked away from the stream and hid behind some trees. He watched, waiting in anticipation.

Within minutes, Sylvan heard a rustling of leaves. Could it be? Yes! It was a unicorn. From the tip of its horn to the bottom of its hooves, it was black.

The unicorn cautiously looked around. It slowly approached the singing figure sitting by the stream. Entranced by her voice, it lowered its head into her lap.

Leelah reached out her hand and stroked its neck.

Sylvan slowly fitted an arrow on the bowstring. Making as little noise as possible, he drew back. Being sure that he would not hit Leelah, he let the arrow fly. This time the arrow went in a straight line directly towards the unicorn's side.

"La, La, La! La..."

Leelah's eyes popped open in surprise as the unicorn suddenly jumped up. It ran around wildly for a few seconds, and then collapsed on the ground. It tired to make one last feeble attempt to rise. Then it fell again and laid still, Its dead eyes started at Leelah, accusing her of betraying him.

Too surprised to do anything, she watched as Sylvan came running from the trees. He reached into his backpack and pulled out the silver cup. He ran up to the fallen unicorn and filled the cup with he blood running from its wound.

Taking a drink, he offered the cup to Leelah.

"Who do you think you are?" she said, striking him across the cheek. "You tricked me!"

"Don't you see?" Sylvan said. "We can be together forever."

"I want nothing to do with you!" Leelah screamed at him. "Leave me alone and never speak to me again!" She stormed off.

Shrugging his shoulders, Sylvan finished drinking the unicorn's blood.



100 Years Later



The old man shuffled down the dirt path in the forest. He would walk a few feet, and then he would have to rest. His arthritis would only allow him to go so far.

He had traveled this forest many times and knew where every turn was. It was a good thing, since the slightest stumble would send him falling to the ground. It would be very hard for him to get back up. He came to a clearing where a shack once stood. Leelah, dead for years, never gave him a single thought since he killed the unicorn and drank its blood. While she could have been walking along with him, it was best that she never drank the unicorn's blood.

Sylvan shook his head sadly.

He remembered when he first expressed his wish to have eternal life. The cleric had told him that he had to drink unicorn's blood.

The cleric had said, "Be careful what you wish for. Sometimes you get what you want. Yet, it may not be what you wanted."

How true the cleric's words! Sylvan got the eternal life he wanted. His mind is as alert as ever. He will live forever. However, he body still ages.

Eternal life is not a blessing.

It is a curse!
© Copyright 2015 Life is Too Short (lulu13903 at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/2038772-Unicorns-Blood