*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1988092-Pegasus
Printer Friendly Page Tell A Friend
No ratings.
Rated: E · Other · Mythology · #1988092
Random essay on my (made up) favourite constellation
My favourite constellation is Pegasus. Remaining one of the 88 modern constellations, these 23 stars are the 7th largest constellation. Pegasus stands out to me due to its upside down quirkiness and the need to do some intense stargazing to see the winged-horse.

Mythology states that when Perseus undertook the monumental challenge of cutting off Medusa's snake ridden head, Pegasus sprang from her neck, soaring to the skies. Pegasus was intercepted by, overconfident, Bellerophon, trying to fly to Olympus on the horse's back. Aiming to take his place among the Gods, Bellerophon was thrown to earth, leaving Pegasus to make it to Olympus alone, becoming Zeus' thunder and lightning carrier. Thus, earning him a place among the constellations.

I believe Pegasus came to being in a different fashion. Indeed, when Hades, King of the dead, abducted Persephone his intention was to force her to become Queen of the Underworld. The Goddess of Springtime was overwhelmed by this heinous challenge so she ran. Coming to a spring, she sat and sobbed - the seeds of springtime sprouting around her. She threw such seeds into the spring, praying for good as she did so. Within seconds, Pegasus rose from the water, flying with Persephone on his back to her father, Zeus. Grateful for his daughter's return, he gave Pegasus a place among the constellations.




Prompt(ish):

200 words

Paragraph 1 - chosen constellation
Paragraph 2 - myth behind the constellation
Paragraph 3 - new made up myth about the constellation
© Copyright 2014 Fran πŸŒˆπŸ§œβ€β™€οΈ (frannywill at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1988092-Pegasus