*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1977047-One-Drop-a-Day
Rated: E · Fiction · Inspirational · #1977047
A mand seeks redemption one day at a time.
With great tenderness Luke leaned down and scratched the loose skin on his ankle. A mundane act indeed, but it has been months since he could do so without restriction. Looking out the window he saw that car pull out the driveway for the last time. That ugly blue Camry that by any strangers description would be a beautiful robin’s egg blue. He watch it dive off into oblivion and then got up for a walk. It was the first walk for the rest of his life. He prepared himself for the worst. He past by children in the street. They ignored him and he ignored them. He wasn't that kind of man.. At one point one of the children pointed, but he didn't care. He was free. Every now and then he could see a window slam. As he looked around he noted a lot more home security signs. He rounded the corner a huge guard dog charged him he just about jumped out of his shoes when the dog stopped just short of and invisible fence. The Rottweiler continued to pace beck and forth. It looked at him like he were a rabbit. Luke decided to walk on the other side of the street. He waved at a neighbor who glared back at him. He knew Mr. Pierce ever since he was a child. Looking at him now made him feel guilty. Mr. Pierce didn't say a word, but it was all over his face. Delinquent. Reject. Why can't you be your brother the home security salesman. He does the community a service. Luke looked at one of the home security signs. It was the same company as all the other signs. His brother founded that company. Typical. Looking around it seemed obvious. This was no longer his home.
Weeks later he no longer scratched at his ankle. He needed a new way to mark his transition. Digging as he unpacked his belongings for his new apartment he came across a bank canvas. It was from a garage sale back before everything went to pieces. “Garage sale” right. Taking out a pencil he drew a brief outline. Then with a pen he place one drop of color. One a day. He repeated the ritual each day. Both the good days and the bad days he kept adding the dots. It was his creation. His little escape from reality.
Looking for work was no pick nick. It seemed to be a series of doors in his face. This made him worry. He didn't want to go back. He found a place that hired cons. A Barb-B-Q-Shack. He ate there once. The food there was served on wax paper and table manners were non existent. Still with meat that juicy no seemed to mind. He jot a job cleaning the toilets. It's a job. That all he could think. Now I can pay the rent.
Days went by and the dots added up. Things stated turning so mundane. He thought about calling his brother, but he knew how that would end. Walking into the apartment he spotted the unfinished painting. In a fit of anger he threw it across the room. He sat in silence then, with hesitation, he got back up. Walking back to the painting he added another spot.
The next day something changed. He saw something move from the corner of his eye. It was the most pathetic looking cat he had ever seen. The emaciated thing had only one eye and it cowered at its own shadow. He picked it up. The thing took one look at him and purred as though he were some sort of angel. It felt like it could fall apart in his hands and he feared it would. Holding it close he hurried it home and bathed it. It devoured the can of tuna he gave it. Luke immediately rushed out to the pet store and bought all the things a cat would need. H made sure to keep it a secret from the land lord. He couldn’t remember the policy on pets. Then as he was returning he saw several tenants walking their dogs and a cat sitting carelessly in a window. Never mind that. His life was turning around again.
One day he looked at the painting. It was complete. There was no need to describe it other that one word. Freedom. He hung it up. On His apartment window so his neighbors could see it. Now it was time for work. He was one of the head cooks at the restaurant. He considered taking a night class in business and cooking to start his own venture. Things were definitely looking up for Luke. He simply needed to take his life one day at a time. One drop a day.
© Copyright 2014 Agatha Books (agathabooks at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1977047-One-Drop-a-Day