*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1946072-The-Looked-Ones
Rated: 13+ · Short Story · Contest Entry · #1946072
Lucas looked directly into her eyes; she was who he was looking for. She was next.
Written for the Daily Flash fiction challenge using the prompts: robe, document, palm

Lucas knew he needed to look the part whenever he went looking.  Ordinarily, he’d be in his robe: the robes of his beloved order.  Today, outside the supermarket, he just looked like your average office worker.  It was time; he could feel one in there.

***


Lucas dropped the pancakes he was carrying, attempting to blend in. The woman beside him picked up the pancakes and placed them in his palm.  As she did so, Lucas looked directly into her eyes; she was who he was looking for. She was next. 

“Thank you” Lucas said, attempting to make her forget time had stopped for a few seconds.

“err…wha… you’re welcome.”

“Have a great day… if you can.” He said the last of these words under his breath, he knew this was her final day of life: as she knew it.

***

Lucas had felt something extra, something he’d never felt in a looked one.  He decided to wait for her and follow her final steps.  This was against the rules. As he waited, his phone rang to remind him of this.

“The document, Lucas, clearly states that the looked must be allowed to achieve their final steps alone.” The voice on the phone commanded.

“Sir, she is special.  A looked one like this we never have seen.”

“I care not! She must be left.  Cover your glowing eyes; once her transformation is complete we will uncover her hidden special qualities. Until then, back away. Retreat to camp.  That is an order,.”

The woman walked out of the store, her eyes changed slightly.  Lucas knew his master was wrong: transformation wasn’t definite - she could still die.  The looked ones were dying souls that the looking try and save. He needed to follow: she was too special to be let go.

300 words
© Copyright 2013 Fran 🌈🧜‍♀️ (frannywill at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1946072-The-Looked-Ones