*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1943123-Drunken-Rage-and-Misconceptions
Printer Friendly Page Tell A Friend
No ratings.
Rated: GC · Script/Play · Dark · #1943123
This is a play I wrote my freshman year about bad home lives and consequences.
SETTING: Michelle’s bedroom. There is a twin sized bed pressed against the corner of the room with a night stand next to it. At the foot of the bed is a desk that’s slightly cluttered. There is a mirror on the back side of the door that is in the opposite corner of the room. There is a laundry hamper sitting off to the right side of the stage about four feet away from the door. It’s a small room.

CHARACTERS:

MICHELLE: Sixteen year old Latina girl. Wears jeans and a Hoodie with a tank top underneath. She is short.

ALEX: Seventeen year old Latino guy. Wears t-shirt and jeans. He is about 5’9.

PAPA: Forty-three year old Latino man. Wears an open car garage jumper with a white wife beater underneath with a mysterious brown stain down the front. Is shorter that Alex.

MAMA: not seen only heard has a thick Hispanic accent.

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
(Michelle is in her room at her desk shuffling papers. Sound of a door slamming in the distance. Michelle takes out phone from back pocket and looks down at the face. Shakes her head and puts phone back in her back pocket. She goes back to shuffling papers.)

MICHELLE: (mumbles) Supposed to be back three hours ago.

(Mama and Papa fighting in the distance)

MAMA: You’ve been drinking again.

PAPA: Shut up bitch.

MAMA: What happened?

PAPA: Life. Now leave me the hell alone.

MICHELLE: (sighs)

MAMA: (shouts) Fine… Michelle dinner!

MICHELLE: I’ll be down in a minute.

PAPA: No, get your ass down here now!

MICHELLE: I’ll be down in a minute. If I don’t finish this report Mrs. Hawkins is going to kill me!

(sounds of footsteps on stairs then the door opens to reveal a very angry papa)

PAPA: (strides over and grabs Michelle by the wrists and pulls her out of her chair) When I tell you to get your ass downstairs I mean now god damn it (yells in Michelle’s face)

MICHELLE: I was on my way downstairs (shrinks away)

PAPA: Don’t you dare lie to me you little whore!

MICHELLE: (states angrily) I’m not lying!

PAPA: (mutters) Your not lying… that’s rich. (chuckles then sets face determinedly speaking louder) How can I trust a lying bitch like you huh?

MICHELLE: Well maybe because I’m not lying you bastard!

PAPA: (stage slaps Michelle across the face. Michelle stumbles back but doesn’t fall because of papa’s hold on her wrist) That’s what you get slut! (mumble) god damn rats don’t know their god damned place between this whore and that f-

MICHELLE: (deadly calm tone) Don’t finish that sentence.

PAPA: This is my damn house and will do whatever the hell I please in it. He is lucky that he is still even living under my roof. Thinks he can just prance around being a fairy. He needs to grow up and realize that that train is heading nowhere fast. Actually, it is heading somewhere, to his deathbed the fucking faggot.

MICHELLE: (slaps him) Don’t you dare say that about him. He deserves respect not some mutilated self righteous attitude. He is going to have to face enough of that on his own he doesn’t need you spewing that garbage to.

PAPA: You bitch. You do not treat me like this in own damn house. You live under this roof you’re gonna listen to what I have to say. While we are at it lets just get this out in the open air since you seem so deluded. You are nothing. Pond scum has more importance than you. That dog shit I cleaned off my shoe has more significance than you. (smirks) You are nothing more than a two cent prostitute willing to do anything to get a quick lay.

MICHELLE: (winces) You don’t mean that.

PAPA: Oh, yes I do sweet heart. You just don’t seem to understand that you are the ugliest bitch I’ve ever met, you’re pathetic, you’re a waste of the space and air that you suck up. You mean nothing.

MICHELLE: (shoulders sag)

PAPA: Why don’t you take your head out of your ass and do something about it. (Drops her arm and leaves the room)

MICHELLE: And now I know that you are truly a husk of the man I used to know.

(Michelle goes over to the mirror and looks at herself tugs at her sleeves and then proceeds to take off her sweatshirt and toss it into the laundry hamper. Looks at herself in the mirror for ten seconds just fidgeting.)

MICHELLE: He is right. I am no beauty or brain. I haven’t any talent or thing to contribute. I am useless. I am ugly inside and out. I am not worth preserving or whatever you call it. (walks over to nightstand and pulls out a razor blade).

MICHELLE: I am useless. (she speaks at barely a whisper and makes slashing marks at her wrist) I am ugly. (slashes again) And I am unwanted. (slashes for a final time).

(Michelle sets the blade down on the desk gets onto her bed hugging her knees blankly staring at the blade. Knock at her door)

ALEX: Hey Michelle come to dinner.

MICHELLE: (monotone) I’m not hungry.

ALEX: Hey are you ok? (waits for an answer but there is no response) I’m coming in!

(Alex opens the door to reveal his younger sister. He gasps)


ALEX: Michelle what have you done!

MICHELLE: (laughs humorlessly) only made myself as ugly on the outside as I am on the inside.

ALEX: Did dad come to see you? (pulls her chin she yanks away. Alex quietly asks) What did he say?

MICHELLE: Just the truth.

ALEX: And what was that?

MICHELLE: Just how useless I am.

(Alex sighs and pulls her into a hug. She starts sobbing. Alex brushes he hair.)

ALEX: That is not true. As long as I am here you will always have a purpose whether it be cheering me up or talking or even just having you sit next to me showing me the love and support that no one else shows. As long as I’m here you will always be wanted. You are the most important thing in my life Michelle nobody could ask for a better sister.

MICHELLE: (hugs him back) I love you Alex.

ALEX: I love you to (kisses top of head).
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^


So yeah I wrote this my freshman year and it is going to be put into a contest soon so just in case the judges or some one comes on here and thinks that I plagiarized it... THIS IS PROPERTY OF ERIN HOLMES. That being said I really hope to get some feedback on it. Thanks.

P.S. I have been editing so if you see a spelling mistake or something tell me I would greatly appreciate it.
© Copyright 2013 Faerielover (faerielover at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1943123-Drunken-Rage-and-Misconceptions