*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1929686-Oh-purple-flame-name-your-price
Rated: ASR · Other · Contest · #1929686
Judith was always the one to light the flame. Others were too afraid.
Judith was always the one to light the flame.  Others were too afraid.  As the match touched the candle, Judith and her fellow wishers sat enchanted by the rainbow of colourful light that poured through the dark, stone walled basement.

Judith acquired the wishing candle years ago and every month, without fail, others flocked to watch the wick burn in the hope their wishes would be granted.

This month was unusual; they were all wishing as one. Wishing that the ghosts, terrorising their once peaceful town, would leave them. The town no longer thrived; it barely even existed.  Residents lived in fear and many had taken to their houses, never to leave again.

As the final whispers sounded, the light fittings shook, smashing to the ground. Windows broke and doors flew open before silence broke! The flame turned purple, the wish was granted, but there would be a price...


Written for the β€œ150 word wonder” contest.

Word count = 149 

© Copyright 2013 Fran πŸ’œ πŸ’œ πŸ’œ (frannywill at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1929686-Oh-purple-flame-name-your-price