*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1913951-Sexy-Baby---A-Movie-Review
Rated: 13+ · Editorial · Relationship · #1913951
A look at a film, and the effect of sexualization through the media on our society.
In today's uber-connected society, we as a culture are inundated with sexual images and references. Social-media, advertising (both in print and film) and music and entertainment all seem to drive our society.

A recent edition of Steve Harvey dealt with a documentary film, Sexy Baby; a film which looked at the sexualization of our society in general and the effect that it has on our lives directly.

Sexy Baby, is a study of sex from the viewpoint of Winnifred, an eleven year old girl from NYC, Laura, a part-time teacher and Nichole, an adult film star and exotic dancer. The film is graphic in its discussion, visual images and behind-the-scenes look at the industry which drives the changes.

During the course of the film, we find Winnifred dealing with growing up in a world where sexual images and topics are part of mainstream culture, billboards, videos, music and movies that seem to promote the idea that sex is no big deal; Laura dealing with the desire to have labiaplasty to increase her self-esteem and Nichole struggling with her career and the desire to marry, settle down and raise a family.

In a world where we are constantly barraged with sex, where TV, movies, the print media and music seem to require the concept, this film seeks to show the impact of this "brave new world" through the eyes of these chronologically, geographically and conceptually diversified subjects.

When, how and why this shift in our societal current occurred is apparent. The influence of mass-media, the lack of moral constraint on our society and the desire to over-educate our children has propelled us into this wasteland of sexual gratification and experimentation.

Now, I enjoy sex; however, the idea that we, as a society, see it as nothing more valuable than a fun handshake is confusing to me. Sex is, or should be, reserved to those capable of making an emotional, intelligent consent to the process. It should not be for teens to send nude or semi-nude photos to each other, or to make us feel more attractive and desirable.

While the film does not offer a solution to the situation, it does however paint a very real picture as to the extent of the problems facing our society and future generations. Without constraint, these sexual morals that are being propogated in our culture will have the same effect they had in Ancient Rome and other civilizations that tended to allow them to become the focus of the culture as opposed to an adjunct of it, the complete and total collapse of moral and ethical boundaries.



Just a thought.
© Copyright 2013 BigPapaDan (bigpapadan at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1913951-Sexy-Baby---A-Movie-Review