*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1865120-Entry-Into-the-Dark-455-words
Rated: 18+ · Short Story · Contest Entry · #1865120
A glimpse into the mind of a hunter of things that go bump in the night.
I’ve seen her here before. She comes in every Wednesday night, like tonight. She always looks sultry in those high heels and short red dresses. She knows damn well every guy in the place is staring at her and that’s just how she wants it. I followed her in other bars, hell I’ve been close enough to smell her perfume twice but I’ve never been the poor sucker she leaves with. It’s gonna be me tonight. She just doesn’t know it yet.

She’s looking around the bar; a Lioness gauging her prey. I can see the calculating look and if she knew what I was thinking, she’d run the other way. There, I’ve caught her eyes and now she’s mine. She’s just watching me as I slide in next to her and you know? Her instincts can’t be as good as I’ve always thought they were. She’s actually smiling at me. That’s it, honey. Smile and take my hand; lead me out like all the other men. People could have told her things, if she ever actually spoke to anyone, stories about me and what I do for a living but she never speaks. She just breezes in, sizes up the herd and leaves with her mark.

The air outside’s brisk; another damn winter almost ready to slap down on us but me? I’ve only got eyes for her. The alley’s dark and so much the better so she won’t see what I’ve pulled from under my coat. Her hands are warmer than they should be resting on my neck, that perfume of hers filling my senses along with those dreamy blue eyes. I give her my best smile and pull her close and as she shows me the toothy grin she’s shown too many men this last year she doesn’t even feel the blade slide into her chest. That’s right, honey. I can’t help it, I have to laugh as those little fangs slide out into the dim light and her eyes open wide in surprise. Picked the wrong damn city to hunt in, sweetheart.

I can feel her life draining away over my hand and the little shivers of fear as I hold her up; even the hate pouring out of her eyes warms me. Vamps never learn. I know. It’s a shame something so pretty has to go down but I figure the guys she’s sucked dry wouldn’t argue with me much. I let her drop like yesterday’s trash and find the back door to the bar is still open like it was waiting for me. Maybe it was; knew I needed a damn drink. One less bloodsucker in my city and another Scotch with my name on it. Job well done.
© Copyright 2012 Kurrie Hoyt (whoguru at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1865120-Entry-Into-the-Dark-455-words