*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1849850-SNIPER-1942-part-II
Rated: GC · Fiction · Military · #1849850
Sequel to: SNIPER: 1942
You sighed softly. Your eyes were tired from peering through the scope of your rifle, yet, you didn't pull away to rest, afraid you might miss something.
"Mikhail. I'll take over.. Drink some vodka and rest.. You need it." Sergei said, even though he already knew what your answer would be.
'NO! I'll stay on this scope until I die.." You had become obsessed, constantly watching the road for any German activity. The adrenaline coursed through your veins, keeping you on a heightened sense of alert. You did not feel the cold or the fatigue anymore, only the need to kill. Sergei smacked you hard across the face.
"Snap out of it, slovoch!" He said bitterly. You sighed and took a drink, letting him cover the road. You thought about it all, as you lay there.. You thought about how you had changed in the past two weeks; whereas before, when you would have hesitated to pull the trigger on someone, now you never gave it a second thought.. Of course, that's assuming you ever gave it a thought to begin with.
"What the hell happened to you?" Sergei asked.
"I just want to get these Germans out of here.." You lied. Well, not entirely. You did want to drive them out, but you weren't going to tell Sergei the reason.
"Svetlana?" Was all Sergei asked, and you sighed.
"Yes.." You mumbled, "I'm worried.. I don't want the Germans to get ahold of her.. I heard stories of what these filthy pgs will do to women."
"One bad apple spoils the barrel, my friend.. Just remember, they can't all be like that."
"They aren't apples, They're Nazis." In your heart you knew Sergei was right. You just needed a way to justify the taking of a life.. Sometimes, the knowledge that "This is what is best for my country." doesnt do it. Svetlana was all the reason you needed. Your mind flashed back to the young German soldier that you and Sergei had taken prisoner in the assault on the old cafe. You quickly pushed the thought out of your head as you layed back to rest..
"Sergei?" You asked, "Where in the hell did the phrase about apples come from?" The two of you shared a small laugh.
********************************************************

"Mikhail. Mikhail!" Sergei shook you awake.
"German column! Get ready on that MG-42!" As you readied the light machine gun, you laughed to yourself. Here was a German gun, captured, and now going to kill Germans. Up, on the roof, you knew Sergei was providing sniper support for a mortar crew. That was fine. He could take the glory.
You ran through the plans in your head again. As soon as Sergei's first shot rang out, you and the mortar crew, as well as two sub-machine gunners, would open fire on the German Column. The idea was one you had nicknamed "hit hard, hit fast, and get-the-hell-out."
Sergei's first shot rang out, and you pulled the trigger on the captured machine gun, spraying the side of a troop truck with hot lead. You heard the scream of a mortar, which detonated in the back of the lead staff car, blowng it to bits. Next up, you knew, would be the ammunition truck which could no longer move, thanks to several flat tires and a dead driver. Someone tried to pull the driver out as it was hit by a mortar. You knew the poor guy never even saw it coming as his life ended in a fireball that engulfed the truck two other staff cars. You hosed another troop truck with lead as the soldiers inside huddled down, not at all safe behind the thin armour. Even if they had been safe from you, the mortar that was now falling on them would have done the trick. That left just one staff car. You swiveled, spraying it with lead a second, third, and fourth time as the mortar lined up and touched off the last shell. When it detonated, you released the trigger, backing away and picking up your rifle. You and Sergei spent the next few minutes picking off the few remaining Germans.
********************************************************

You sighed as you and Sergei walked away from the building. You personally preffered to snipe your enemy, using single, precise shots. You enjoyed being accurate, and not just spraying lead. Still, you would do as the army told you, and if they told you to man a captured machine gun, you would do just that. You heard several thunder-like explosions as the German artillery destroyed the building, seeking retribution. You smiled, kowing none of your comrades were in the area.
*******************************************************

The vodka coursed through your veins, blurring your vision just slightly. This was fine, it made you feel as though you weren't in any danger. It made you feel as though you were ten feet tall. you sighed as you watched the German soldier casually eating his meal. he had taken off most of his uniform, left in just his uniform pants and a not-so-whte shirt. Even from this distance, with the vodka buzz, you could still kindof tell what he was wating. You knew it was some type of sandwich, as he had already finished his canned meat. He took his last bite and drank a little water, reaching over for his gun as several officers walked back into the room. Now was the chance you had been waiting for. "CRACK!" your rifle spat fire, ending the life of the major in the doorway. You operated the bolt quickly, lining up your next shot. "CRACK!" "CRACK!" "CRACK!" and it was over. You operated the bolt, and listened to the last shell casing dingle softly as it hit the hard concrete.
"Come, Sergei, we must go."
*******************************************************

"Mikhail!!" It was Andrei Komarnitskaia, your Commanding Officer, who shook your hand.
"Come, I have something for you.." He led you into a room farther in the interior of the house where your forward command ost was located. He turned and handed you a shiny new, semi-automatic TT-33 pistol and holster, with your name engraved on the side of the pistol. It wasn't so much engraved as scratched in carefully with a knife, and you could tell Andrei must have done it hmself, which puzzled you. Andrei smiled warmly,
"This is a token of my appreciation, and of congradulations. Now for the gift from those higher up in the Army.." He handed you a paper.
"One month's leave," Andrei said. You stammered,
"But.. But.. But how?"
"Well, the generals really take notice of those snipers who have killed 150 of the enemy.. Besides, you're way past due.. Come. There is a train waiting at the station. Where will you go?"
"Baley, to see Svetelna." Was all you said.
© Copyright 2012 sniperkid (sniperkid016 at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1849850-SNIPER-1942-part-II