*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1731719-Whats-involved-in-forensic-photography
Printer Friendly Page Tell A Friend
No ratings.
Rated: · Essay · Career · #1731719
This was written for my English comp class as an informative essay
What’s involved in Forensic Photography?

The photographer, who wants to explore types of photography that are not of the normal genres, may want to look into forensic photography for its technical aspects as well as the areas of study that are involved. There are many aspects to solving a crime; one of the most important is the forensic photographer. Also known as, evidence photographer, this job has many facets; starting with the crime scene, and going all the way to the lab. This type of photography is technical more than artistic. In forensic photography the main purpose is to preserve the evidence for the purpose of presentation in a courtroom; therefore, lighting and angle of view are very important. To understand how a forensic photographer works the types of photography in this field must be addressed.

There are different types of photography that are in forensics; such as crime scene, hospital, and lab, to name a few. Crime scene photos are of the scene of the crime as well as the area surrounding the scene, including witness point of view. In hospital photography the images are going to be of the injured or deceased body. Hospitals and crime scene photography require a strong stomach. When taking images in a lab the photographer will be focused on microphotography to get the correct images. According to Schools in the USA photographers specialize in a specific area of forensic photography. All of these areas use the same basic technical skills (Schools in the USA). Knowing how to expose film correctly is crucial getting good images that can be used in a court of law. Beyond the photography skills a forensic photographer must have knowledge of certain procedures to be able to show the photos in a courtroom.

The photographer is responsible for using the correct equipment and capturing well developed images that can help in solving a crime. The photographer should know about basic camera settings such as aperture settings and shutter speeds in different lighting conditions for the best exposure. Most photographers have the basic set up of a camera and several lenses, plus macro rings to close up images. The photographer should have good knowledge of lighting and how to expose correctly in low light situations. Since crime scenes are unpredictable the photographer has to be able to adapt to the situation. Crime scene photography will always be challenging in its surroundings and lighting, but hospitals and labs are usually very well lit.

In a hospital setting the photographer is going to have plenty of available light, and the focus will be on capturing the injuries of the person or persons. In these cases ultra violet and infrared photography are used to gather evidence. The photographer must be able to work with the deceased as well, this can be challenging at first. In a lab the subject matter will be much smaller and harder to see and focus on. In labs optical microscopes are used to take microscopic images of evidence that can’t be seen by the naked eye. The photographer will be expected to know how to magnify the subject without distorting or losing valuable information. These areas of photography are highly technical in nature and require knowledge beyond camera settings and lighting and in some cases will require a science background.

So what does it take to become a forensic photographer? The field of forensic photography has become a more recognized field in recent years. But still currently there is no degree program to become a forensic photographer. Many forensic photographers have several bachelors in areas such as criminology or science. Being a great photographer is a plus, but knowledge of the procedures is important as well. There are two agencies which certify forensic photographers: the International Association for Identification and the Evidence Photographers International Council (Jason). These agencies are very tough in there certification, therefore the photographer who is interested needs to be fully prepared. One way to do this is on the job training, working for a private investigator or a forensic photo lab are good ways to get started in the field and gain knowledge of terminology.

Along with terminology, knowledge of proper procedure for forensics and a strong stomach are required. Terminology comes from being in the field and learning what terms are used for what procedures. This is as well for procedure and protocols for different types of forensic photography that are being done. In hospital and lab forensic photography it will be beneficial to know scientific terminology. If the forensic photographer is taking crime scene photos they are going to want to know law enforcement procedures and protocols in order to get the proper images of the scene. Another aspect is the strong stomach; this is required due to graphic details that have to be photographed. When photographing a crime scene there is going to be unpleasant sights and smells, they must be overlooked in order to be able to do this type of photography. If the unpleasant nature can be overlooked the rest of forensic photography is full of exploration and discovery of what happened in a specific crime, and this can be rewarding.

Forensic photography can lead to other areas of forensics. There is much more to forensic photography than just taking pictures of crime scenes. In order for a photographer to become a forensic photographer they must have knowledge of areas pertaining to forensics. A forensic photographer may become interested in criminology, or criminal profiling. These areas of study may come naturally after taking hundreds of crime scenes photographs as a forensic photographer.

Works Cited
Jason, Alexander. Forensic Photographer. 1998-2010. Alexander Jason. 8 December 2010 <http://www.alexanderjason.com/forensic_photographer.htm>.
Schools in the USA. Forensic Photographer. 2010. 8 December 2010 <http://www.schoolsintheusa.com/careerprofiles_details.cfm?carid=1105>.

© Copyright 2010 Caldera (caldera at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1731719-Whats-involved-in-forensic-photography