*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1657574-Lost-Hope
Rated: · Short Story · Drama · #1657574
simplistic style, complex narrative, and an element of sadness
Lost Hope

A Doctor in her office stares at her desk, lost in thought. She picks up her chin and scans her room, on the wall a photo of her champion showjumper. Across the room she focuses on her indoor rose; it has finally grown another bud. The plant needs water the soil is barren. Of course he would buy a plant rather than flowers; His practicality no longer surprises her. She reads the card again.
‘Congratulations to my beautiful Wife Kate’
The Doctor straightens her shoulders and inhales deeply letting go in a gust of heavy breath. Giving her strength. She leaves her office with papers in hand.
‘Hello Mrs Weston, Taylor is looking better and you will be able to go in very soon. I have read Taylor’s file but I just have few questions. The Sebaceous nevus lesion on the scalp: it was a birthmark but was removed at 12 months’
‘Yes’
‘During the removal the surgeon found the lesion had a tail growth and it had impinged on the bone tissue, but you have had this monitored every year since. Now today, you saw the lips turn blue, some dizziness and movement problems before the loss of consciousness’
‘Yes, that’s right’
Ok, Today’s scans do show something in the skull in that area, but I really need to know a little more about this type of tumour before I can give you any real expectations of the outcome. A Sebaceous Nevus is a very uncommon disorder, there was only one other patient that I know of with it and he was 65. I just don’t know enough about it, especially in someone so young, I....I will need to do a little research to look at how to... treat, treat it’
‘What do we do, take her home, will Taylor pass out again?’
‘Just keep... a close watch for.... anymore ... symptoms’
‘I’m sorry, was it something I said. I...’
‘No, no, I’m ok; Um, Make an appointment for next week, with the nurse here and...... and I will see you then’
The doctor stops at the hospital cafe drinks a coffee, trying to pull herself together then walks to her next appointment.
‘How are you feeling Kate?’
‘A little better than this morning when I spoke to you’
‘That’s ok Kate, I understand what you’re going through, don’t worry, just over here on the bed, so when did you start bleeding?
‘When I woke this morning’
‘Have you felt well though?’
‘Yes, just a little anxious’
‘How are your horses, ready for the tournament?’
‘Oh that is cold, it takes your breath away, Yes it’s only two weeks away so they are well prepared... I’m hoping to hear the thundering of little hoofs or even many little hoofs’
‘Yes I hope so too’
‘Just one....... would be great’
The doctor searches staring at her screen for a good result and listening
‘I’m sorry Kate’
‘No, keep looking; it was way over this side last week’
‘There’s nothing there Kate, I’m sorry’
‘That’s ok’
‘We can try again’
‘That’s what you said last time’
© Copyright 2010 Rebecca Summers (rebeccasummers at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1657574-Lost-Hope