*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1551827-That-Demon-Meth
Rated: 13+ · Editorial · Educational · #1551827
Meth awareness: what it is and what those interested in a drug-free community can do.
Over the past fifteen to twenty years, we’ve become increasingly aware of the havoc that the use of methamphetamines is wreaking on the lives of many in America. The drug in its various forms has rapidly taken the lead as this nation’s most destructive, widely-used illegal substance.

Working with market rate and student housing and with manufactured home communities, as I have for the past 19 years, I’ve encountered and had to deal with many drug-related situations—situations that often undermine and sidetrack the lives of those involved. In the residential communities that our property management company oversees, we actively promote, seek and work toward crime-free, drug-free environments, partnering up with local law enforcement to monitor and to educate. Those who become legal residents of our communities are required, as part of their lease agreement, to sign a “Lease Addendum for Drug-Free Housing.” Residents (and their guests) agree that they will not engage in the manufacture, sale, distribution or use of illegal drugs at any locations in the community. Those who violate this drug–free provision of their agreement breach that agreement and are subject to immediate termination of their residency in the community, in addition to possible—even likely—criminal charges.

So what is “meth,” as it is typically referred to? Before we address that, let’s review amphetamines. Amphetamines are medications typically prescribed for Attention Deficit Disorder (ADD). These medications release chemicals, in low doses, to the brain. This stimulates the brain while actually slowing the user down, allowing them to be more alert. Methamphetamines are a much stronger form of amphetamines. In low doses, methamphetamines can be used for various medical conditions. However, recreational use of meth in high doses can create a “rush” or a “high.”

Crystal meth is a street version of methamphetamines. Crystal meth can be made very easily. Typically it is produced in small labs in kitchens, bathrooms or garages. Portable labs have even been found in vehicles. It is typically made by mixing pseudoephedrine, red phosphorus, iodine, ammonia, paint thinner and either Draino or the lithium from batteries. On occasion, lead acetate is also known to be used—which exposes the user to lead poisoning. Street names for crystal meth include meth, crank, crystal, speed, chalk, glass, ice, zip and so on.

Crystal meth typically resembles small fragments of glass or shiny blue-white or brown-white “rocks” of various sizes. It can be smoked using glass pipes similar to pipes used for crack cocaine, or it can be injected or put into pill, capsule or powder form.

Those who use meth may have episodes of increased alertness and symptoms including impaired speech, increased physical activity, loss of appetite, hallucinations, incessant talking, chest pain, dilated pupils, violent behavior, paranoia, anxiety confusion or insomnia. Regular users, known as “tweakers,” will often develop bad body odor, and their teeth will turn yellow, gray or black (and may even fall out).

A typical meth high can last from 10-24 hours, after which the user will “crash.” When the user crashes, they will have an extreme loss of energy and will become very fatigued. This crash causes emotional and physiological changes to their body that often results in a drug craving. Addicted users avoid the crash by repeated and ongoing use of the drug. When withdrawal takes place, symptoms include severe drug craving, insomnia, restlessness, mental confusion and depression. Since meth also affects dopamine, one of the essential neurotransmitters in the brain that influences mood, users often feel extremely tired and depressed long after they stop using.

Meth use is also associated with numerous serious medical problems. The drug can cause rapid heart rate, increased blood pressure and damage to the small blood vessels in the brain. Chronic use of the drug can also result in inflammation of the heart lining, cardiac irregularities and pulmonary edema. Overdoses can cause elevated body temperature, convulsions, coma, stroke, heart attack and even death.

Medical and law enforcement professionals concur that crystal meth is one of the most addictive street drugs—and one of the most difficult from which to recover. Addiction counselors say that there is a relapse rate of 92%, and that successful treatment is very difficult.

Beyond the effects that crystal meth has on those foolish enough to use it is the effect that it has and the potential danger that it poses to those nearby—be it the person producing the drug or innocent children, parents and friends. Many of the chemicals that go into the manufacturing of meth are very toxic and explosive. The cooking process produces toxic waste and toxic fumes, which build up and adhere to surfaces and objects in the structure in which the meth is being produced. These fumes will eventually cause intoxication, dizziness, nausea, disorientation, lack of coordination, serious respiratory problems and even damage to internal organs. Places where meth is cooked are considered a hazardous or toxic environment, requiring professional clean-up and remediation. Beyond this, places where meth is produced do, on occasion, blow up—which, of course, presents a whole additional series of problems.

In all too many meth-related situations, the biggest losers wind up being the innocent children of those engaging in or enabling the dangerous activities. Simply put, parents who use meth cannot—and should not—parent. They become focused on their addiction and on their own needs, often leaving the children to fend for themselves, exposing them to an environment that might include neglect, abuse and health issues caused by meth toxins.

So what can residents of the cities, towns and rural areas of Minnesota and beyond do to help ensure that meth stays out of our communities?
● First and foremost, keep your eyes and ears open. Pay attention to what goes on around you. If you observe or learn of legitimately suspicious activity in your neighborhood (short-term traffic wherein people come and go within a short time span, dealing, information on extensive drug use or other possible criminal activity), advise the drug task force contact officer on the local police or sheriff’s department.
● Second, stay informed. Learn more about meth and other illegal substances. Several excellent, all-encompassing web sites offering valuable resources are www.methresources.gov, www.usdoj.gov/dea and www.justthinktwice.com.

Working together throughout the state and region, we can ensure that our communities remain pleasant, positive places to call home—communities with safe neighborhoods for ourselves and our children and communities that collectively make it known that we have zero tolerance for illegal drugs and criminal activity.
© Copyright 2009 Greg Boll (gregboll at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1551827-That-Demon-Meth