*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1514710-GOLDEN-ARCHES-MARCH-3-2011
Printer Friendly Page Tell A Friend
No ratings.
Rated: · Short Story · Political · #1514710
What will America look like in the Spring of 2011, this is one vision.
GOLDEN ARCHES, MARCH 3, 2011

I was headed home after another day at the Employment Office looking for anything, just something that would pay the rent. Helen, the landlady had pinned a note to my door last night that gave me a week to come up with the rent. She was nice enough; she’d given me a lot of breaks over time. We’d actually become friends over the last few months. I doubt that it was easy for her to put up that note…but she needs to pay her bills like the rest of us. I watched the gas gage; I needed it to last me for the week to look for work. “DAMN, it was already down to a quarter”, I thought.

I knew I didn’t have anything at home to eat so I pulled into the old Golden Arches. The parking lot was almost full, it was the cheapest eats around and I wasn’t too worried about cholesterol these days, Hell, who worried about a heart attack these days…unless you made it. I quickly shook off that downer thinking. Crap! Twenty minute line again! it was only a couple of blocks from home so I passed it all the time. The lot was always full lately. I resigned myself mentally for the wait. My mind flashed a memory of “Don’t Sweat the Small Stuff and remember its all small stuff”. Well, I thought, would that writer still say the same thing if he had lived the last couple of years? I got in line gearing up for the wait…one person at the cash register and one person flipping burgers with about 30 people in the restaurant “That’s why nobody has jobs”, I thought.

I looked at the price board, TRIPLE BIG MAC, $1.25, with Fries and Coke, $2.50. I’m no economist but I asked to nobody in particular “Why don’t they increase the price and hire a couple of people”. The old guy in a ruffled baseball cap just ahead of me turned and said,

“Buddy, I got time but I don’t have no money, I’ll wait”

I didn’t reply, I guess for him, this worked. I looked around the restaurant, the floor looked like it hadn’t be swept all day…the truth is, it was plain filthy…I guess the franchise people had thrown in the towel.

I noticed something moving at the feet of the heavy set lady sitting in the booth by the door, “They don’t let pets in here” I thought. Then I saw the tell tale beety eyes peering at me from the dark underneath the booth…it scurried across the floor and darted into the kitchen. I stood there for a moment…not stunned exactly, just kind of empty of emotion. I got out of line and walked to my car and went home.


© Copyright 2009 alexpinca (alexpinca at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1514710-GOLDEN-ARCHES-MARCH-3-2011